Coconut Oil.

Guest Tiz3

I recently picked up a small container of it to try and WOW... LOVE IT!

I no need to track down where to buy larger containers of it as this one is almost gone. I have tried in Sammi's meals (she licks the bowl clean), on my skin, I've tasted it (yum!) and I even used it in place of butter on steamed broccoli and cauliflower. The kids loved it, too. Didn't work out so great in my coffee tho.

Only thing I haven't tried it on is my hair. When I get a larger container of it, I will.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest firegypsy

www.tropicaltraditions.com

although having used about every brand on the market (stay away from Spectrum....ICK!) the nutiva is VERY good.

I buy the 5 gallon buckets from TT so I don't have to bother ordering more than once a year. But before doing that I used to get the Nutiva from my co-op. They're the most comparable I think.

Hunh. I think my face is LESS oily this morning then it normally is. Now for the day time test!!!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest RiverCityGang

I found the best price on Amazon, too. And I signed up for automatic monthly delivery which lowers the price more. It doesn''t have to be a monthly delivery. There are other options, but based on my usage, a jar a month seemed right.

Guest Audeamus
Ok...does anyone know what Canadian grocery store carries it?

I'm almost positive I saw it at our Bulk Barn (at the back with the essential oils, natural soaps, cooking oils, etc.). Any health food store would also probably have it....maybe even in the natural section at Zehrs (or Loblaws, or whatever it is called now :rolleyes: )

Superstore (or what it's called in Central Canada). Check out the health food part. The Save On here, depending on location has it. And Planet Organic, I don't know if you have those outside of Alberta.

Guest Puddyrun

I bought Whole Foods 365 brand "Unrefined expeller pressed virgin" coconut oil last week for myself and have only tried it once in my oatmeal. I hope this brand cc oil works too. I have a broodie that we have had for around 6 months and is almost 10 so I'm wondering if this would help her. We have her on 2 fish oil capsules daily but her hair is so thin and we are slowly weaning her away from a licking habit on her upper inner left leg(thanks to Rescue Remedy drops and cream plus a sleeve at night). How much do you give them and ANY other help as far as to uses for coconut oil is greytly appreciated!

I bought Whole Foods 365 brand "Unrefined expeller pressed virgin" coconut oil last week for myself and have only tried it once in my oatmeal. I hope this brand cc oil works too. I have a broodie that we have had for around 6 months and is almost 10 so I'm wondering if this would help her. We have her on 2 fish oil capsules daily but her hair is so thin and we are slowly weaning her away from a licking habit on her upper inner left leg(thanks to Rescue Remedy drops and cream plus a sleeve at night). How much do you give them and ANY other help as far as to uses for coconut oil is greytly appreciated!

I would start very slow maybe a 1/4 t. in the a.m. and p.m. See how your grey does then increase a week later to 1/2 t. twice a day. The third week maybe 1 T once a day. I do one T. once a day now. I also use it on my face and body. The two greys love it.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest Puddyrun

I would start very slow maybe a 1/4 t. in the a.m. and p.m. See how your grey does then increase a week later to 1/2 t. twice a day. The third week maybe 1 T once a day. I do one T. once a day now. I also use it on my face and body. The two greys love it.

Thank you so much for the detailed information to ease her into it! Should I keep giving her the fish oil? I assume yes. She is in good health and the sweetest creature on the planet but was on the farm WAY too long(raced 119 if I recall correctly, then bred). Her teeth are horrendous but they are improving due to lots of work. I'm curious about the coconut oil and teeth too.

Puddyrun, your girl sounds like my dear departed Happy. :wub: Good luck with her! :)

Does anyone who is using the co on their face have a change in their acne status, better or worse?

I have a touch of rosacea, much decreased over the years and learning better practices, but the co does not help the dryness on my face at all. It just sort of gooks up what would otherwise be kind of crispy. :P It's still dry and sensitive under a fine coat of oil, if that makes sense. I like to use a borage-oil based lotion, AND a tiny bit of co, which seems to work better than either by itself. But, CO can be comedogenic, so ... a few days, and, well, I have to stop for awhile, and let things clear up a bit ... :rolleyes: Remember when they told you you'd grow out of it? I'm 52: They LIED! :lol

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Should I keep giving her the fish oil? I assume yes.

I would keep giving her fish oil just as you have been, assuming you are using it as an Omega 3 supplement.

I agree and would keeping giving the fish oil. We use the Omega 3 along with the coconut oil. Used the coconut on my hair today after it was dried. My hair has a nice shine to it now and took away the frizzies.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Should I keep giving her the fish oil? I assume yes.

I would keep giving her fish oil just as you have been, assuming you are using it as an Omega 3 supplement.

I agree and would keeping giving the fish oil. We use the Omega 3 along with the coconut oil. Used the coconut on my hair today after it was dried. My hair has a nice shine to it now and took away the frizzies.

I've actually been using it on my face, and then spraying my mouse in my hands without washing off the coconut. So I get a little of the oil in my hair too!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest Sonya_Thomas

This is such an interesting thread. Here are my experiences with VCO:

1. My 50+ year old friend uses it on her skin and is gorgeous, so I figured I would give it a try. I have a touch of Rosacea on my cheeks, too. I was on Oracea for years, which kept it in check, but decided I did not want to take a low dose antibiotic for the rest of my life, so stopped the Oracea on Jan 1. I was very nervous, because if you have Rosacea, you know how uncomfortable it is physically, mentally and emotionally. I started with VCO at night on my face and body. After a week, I had to stop using it on my face because it seemed to irritate it. I read that the demodex mites that supposedly contribute to Rosacea feed on the VCO, which then flares up the rosacea even more. That seemed to be the case for me. I stopped using the VCO pretty quickly bc I was afraid of getting a full blow flare-up. I am back to using Oil of Olay Regenerist Serum in the AM and Regenerist night cream, and supplementing with Finacea gel on my cheeks. This seems to be keeping my skin in check, but I long for the day when there is a cure for this damn ailment!!!!! I had high hopes for VCO, but it just did not work for me.

2. I still use it in my body after a shower at night, and I love the way the rest of my body feels after using the VCO . . . just can't tolerate it on my face.

3. As for my hound, she has dry skin, and I tried her on VCO, but she quickly got very loose stools, so I switched her back to just Omega 3 fish oil. After reading this thread, I think I may have started her on too much, too fast. I gave her 1 TSP in the am and pm with her food. She LOVED it, and I may try it with her again, going very slowly and with a much smaller amount.

So, that's my experience with VCO. I so wanted it to be the miracle product for both my skin and Rosie's skin. No such luck for me with either.

Sonya in Nashville