Coconut Oil.

Guest Tiz3

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was recommended by our holistic Vet for our 'Tzu James Dean to assist with his HBP and ERF. :)

The caps. did change color depending on the temperature conditions in our home though. It was kind of weird to see clear caps. one day and cloudy caps. the next day.

No clue if the affects were positive for JD or not. He did take a lot of supplements during that time. I think he lived about 2 or 3 years after his initial diagnosis though. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest wmlcml6

I have been giving my dogs coconut oil (1 to 2 teaspoons a day in their food) for about a month now. It has helped Hope's appetite increase dramatically (a huge deal), and I brush her teeth with it about 5 times a week and her breath and teeth are greatly improved. She doesn't eat anything crunchy, so builds up "slime". When I first started brushing with it, they bled daily. She hasn't bled now in 2 weeks. Haven't noticed a difference with Rosemary or Stranger, but time will tell. For Stranger, my goad in using it is to decrease his scratching from allergies and make him smell less "doggy" (he's a husky mix, not a good smelling greyhound). For all of them, I'm hoping the antibacterial properties keeps them healthier.

Guest FijiHound

I use coconut oil all the time for my dogs as Scruffy had very dry skin. The vet recommended it instead of olive oil etc and being in Fiji - it's dirt cheap ;) Nuggets shiny black fur = Fiji Water & Coconut Oil :lol

Coconut oil will solidify in cold weather though - doesn't change anything about it at all :)

i slather it all over my body every day!! :blush :blush

i've heard humans take it (tablespoon or more a day mix in cereal) and it helped with alzheimer issues ~~ of all things! :unsure

i've heard to rub it all over fur/coats for shiny fur.

I am going to try brushing teeth with it,, that is my biggest concern at the moment with Lazer....

seems to be a "cure all"

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest SoulsMom

Cook with it all the time. It can be heated to a higher temp than other oils without breaking down. I love it. Haven't used it on/for the dogs though

Hunh. Adding another thing to list to try on Norm! Thanks!!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Where are you getting yours from, Cathie. I had some.. but didn't know to use it with the dogs ... doh. I got mine from some over seas mail order that was quite pricey, I'd like good quality but do have to watch the budget.

I use it to cook with and give it to my dogs with great results. Here's the Whole Dog Journal article that made me give it a try Crazy About Coconut Oil. It works better than fish or salmon oil for my three and it does help with doggy odor if you feed a large enough dose. My wire haired galgo is kinda doggy smelling without it, but with it he's odor free. :colgate

I usually order mine from Vitacost.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Sonya_Thomas

I was just in Trader Joe's in Nashville and saw that they have started carrying Virgin Coconut Oil. I forget the price, but I remember thinking it was reasonable. A very lovely middle aged friend of mine uses it on her face at night. She's pushing 50 and is a KNOCK-OUT with dewey looking skin.

I think I might try Rosie on it again. I tried 2 tspn. of VCO a day with her when I first got her back in November, but her stools were so loose. I didn't know if it was the food she was on, the VCO, or adjusting to her new home. Her stomach has settled down and she has tootsie roll poops now, so I may try her back on VCO. I like the idea that it helps the pups smell good. Seems like I read that it was also supposed to help their breath smell better, too.

Guest firegypsy

I've been using it for my family for about 10 years, so of course the hounds got it too! I get it from tropical traditions. I get a 5 gallon bucket every year or so. We go through a lot, so it's worth buying in bulk.

Guest firegypsy

they sell it in one gallon buckets as well as quart and pint sized jars, but my family is dairy free (amongst other things :rolleyes: ) so we use it as a butter replacer, shortening, in smoothies etc. as well as topically for burns so after going through a gallon every few months I just gave up and did the 5 gallon! But you don't have to start that big, certainly. :)

they sell it in one gallon buckets as well as quart and pint sized jars, but my family is dairy free (amongst other things :rolleyes: ) so we use it as a butter replacer, shortening, in smoothies etc. as well as topically for burns so after going through a gallon every few months I just gave up and did the 5 gallon! But you don't have to start that big, certainly. :)

Maybe a dum question :blush but does it taste like coconut (or does it have some kind of distinctive flavour as eg olive oil does) or is it neutral just like a regular oil?

And for a dog, you just put it on the top of their kibble?

I never thought about using it for my dogs. :blink: I love coconut oil. It helped me out of a winter blues depression a couple years ago, and now I swear by it for my own health. I'm definitely going to start adding it to the dogs' routine care! :D Thanks for this post!!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest firegypsy

Maybe a dum question :blush but does it taste like coconut (or does it have some kind of distinctive flavour as eg olive oil does) or is it neutral just like a regular oil?

extra virgin coconut oil does taste like coconut. It's not overwhelming and is fairly neutral-can be made sweet or savory. The expeller pressed does not have any taste, but it also doesn't have quite all of the benefits either.

My dogs liked it on their kibble until they didn't, so I mix it into things now. I also cook eggs in it for them.

Emma, I use the Tropical Traditions organic expeller pressed coconut oil for when I want to cook without a coconutty taste. It's pretty tasteless/odorless. But if I'm making a Thai or Indian type dish, I use the virgin CO. Which I also eat right off the spoon, :lol. Dogs can eat it with their food, or just eat a blob of it if it's solidified!

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi