Coconut Oil.

Guest Tiz3

Maybe a dum question :blush but does it taste like coconut (or does it have some kind of distinctive flavour as eg olive oil does) or is it neutral just like a regular oil?

And for a dog, you just put it on the top of their kibble?

Emma, I use the Tropical Traditions organic expeller pressed coconut oil for when I want to cook without a coconutty taste. It's pretty tasteless/odorless. But if I'm making a Thai or Indian type dish, I use the virgin CO. Which I also eat right off the spoon, :lol. Dogs can eat it with their food, or just eat a blob of it if it's solidified!

Thank you Maryann :)

I suspect I would also eat it right off the spoon cause I love coconut ! :P

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest firegypsy

it's beyond delicious!

just watch for sales. Tropical Traditions has specials that change monthly. You can get some decent breaks if you watch for them.

Guest katethegreyt

I used it for awhile with our girl, but after 6 weeks, she absolutely refused to eat it. She went from greedily licking it off the spoon to turning her nose up at even the slightest amount in her food, haha. I think I may try it again though, since it's been awhile.

We got ours here: http://www.amazon.co...29027934&sr=8-4

Just be sure you're getting organic, unrefined extra virgin oil. If it's been refined, it loses most of the benefits.

Edited by katethegreyt

it's beyond delicious!

just watch for sales. Tropical Traditions has specials that change monthly. You can get some decent breaks if you watch for them.

I already checked out the website :lol:

I used it for awhile with our girl, but after 6 weeks, she absolutely refused to eat it. She went from greedily licking it off the spoon to turning her nose up at even the slightest amount in her food, haha. I think I may try it again though, since it's been awhile.

We got ours here: http://www.amazon.co...29027934&sr=8-4

Just be sure you're getting organic, unrefined extra virgin oil. If it's been refined, it loses most of the benefits.

I'll definitely go with extra virgin, thanks :)

Guest firegypsy

mine did the exact same. now I just cook their eggs and whatnot in it.

I bought some caps. last night. I am going to add them to Kevin's and my regime for a while. I am considering adding it to the dog's supplements also.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Just a different perspective... I'm not an M.D., nor a veterinarian; however, I respectfully question/disagree with the idea of ingesting extra Coconut oil (on purpose) as a "health benefit" for dogs.

Coconut oil is one of the highest saturated fats. We know too much saturated fat (animal or plant) leads to many serious diseases in humans and dogs.

Organic Virgin Coconut Oil: 1 tbsp = 12 grams of Saturated fat (14 grams of total fat)

vs. Peanut oil: 1 tbsp = 2 grams saturated fat

vs. Canola oil: 1 tbsp = 1 gram of saturated fat.

Higher quality dog foods are made with a healthy balance of oils already in the food. Unless a veterinarian recommends adding oil to dog kibble, I'd hesitate to add oil, especially a very highly saturated oil like Coconut oil. The combined oils (including dog food oil) could become too high for a dog's healthy daily allowance.

Current year 2012, the American Heart Association recommends minimizing the intake of any type of "Saturated fats" and "Trans-fats". AHA includes Coconut oil and Palm oils on the "bad oils" list. The risks outweigh any benefits.

(Coconut oil is hard as a rock at (my) room temperature. (I understand it softens at higher temperatures.) Side observation: I find it more difficult to wash coconut oil from a glass container even with commercial dishwashing liquid. Personally, I'd hesitate adding it to our Greyhounds arteries, heart, liver and kidneys, especially on a daily basis.)

Any doctors/veterinarians/medical experts able to post recent scientific results to clarify either way?

Edited by 3greytjoys

Guest suzanne

Apparently a lot of old school trainers use it directly on the dogs' coats for shine. I bought a bottle ages ago but it hardened up and I never got around to seeing if it worked! Does anyone apply it topically?

Just a different perspective... I'm not an M.D., nor a veterinarian; however, I respectfully question/disagree with the idea of ingesting extra Coconut oil (on purpose) as a "health benefit" for dogs.

Coconut oil is one of the highest saturated fats. We know too much saturated fat (animal or plant) leads to many serious diseases in humans and dogs.

Organic Virgin Coconut Oil: 1 tbsp = 12 grams of Saturated fat (14 grams of total fat)

vs. Peanut oil: 1 tbsp = 2 grams saturated fat

vs. Canola oil: 1 tbsp = 1 gram of saturated fat.

Higher quality dog foods are made with a healthy balance of oils already in the food. Unless a veterinarian recommends adding oil to dog kibble, I'd hesitate to add oil, especially a very highly saturated oil like Coconut oil. The combined oils (including dog food oil) could become too high for a dog's healthy daily allowance.

Current year 2012, the American Heart Association recommends minimizing the intake of any type of "Saturated fats" and "Trans-fats". AHA includes Coconut oil and Palm oils on the "bad oils" list. The risks outweigh any benefits.

(Coconut oil is hard as a rock at (my) room temperature. (I understand it softens at higher temperatures.) Side observation: I find it more difficult to wash coconut oil from a glass container even with commercial dishwashing liquid. Personally, I'd hesitate adding it to our Greyhounds arteries, heart, liver and kidneys, especially on a daily basis.)

Any doctors/veterinarians/medical experts able to post recent scientific results to clarify either way?

Hey, thanks for the perspective!! Kevin's life insurance currently sucks. Maybe I should stop the coconut oil now. :gmark

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest firegypsy

The call for reduction of saturated fats is based on erroneous information and is worth reading about if you're so inclined. I am very comfortable increasing HEALTHY saturated fats and my hounds need it. When they eat more raw they require less, interestingly enough. Otherwise their skin gets very dry and flaky. They need extra fats and I do fish oil for them as well.

I tried it after Raven went on another of her hunger strikes and it's got her eating again. She vacuums up her food like a little Hoover. Her weight is improving and her coat looks great after about a week of using it. Just a teaspoon does the trick. Riley loves it too, though he doesn't need any extra enticement to eat.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

After seeing this thread, I bought some from Trader Joe's, and now I'm using it to put on Timo's teeth at night instead of the Petzlife gel. He hated the flavor of the Petzlife, but loves the coconut oil. I'm hoping the oil will help soften the tarter on his teeth, so I can slowly brush it away every morning.

Guest sirsmom

The call for reduction of saturated fats is based on erroneous information and is worth reading about if you're so inclined. I am very comfortable increasing HEALTHY saturated fats and my hounds need it. When they eat more raw they require less, interestingly enough. Otherwise their skin gets very dry and flaky. They need extra fats and I do fish oil for them as well.

You are right. Dogs do not get heart disease from saturated fats.

Guest RiverCityGang

I bought some after reading this thread last week. I gave the first dose to my cocker spaniel on Thursday night.

He gets a skin condition - not hot spots - but somehting cocker related - and breaks out in big crusty sores. Each time it's a 10 day round of cephalexin. Not crazy about the repeated, continual antibiotic use, so I tried tea tree oil which helped clear them up, but burned. yucca, which helped, but is bitter and needs diluted and hidden in his food. Plus it worked slowly.

Started the coconut oil Thursday night, by Saturday, almost all the sores were healed. This morning his skin was all clear and his coat was soft and pretty again.

I give it to him in place of a treat, plus rub his fur with it. So he is getting internal and external applications. And, bonus, my dry , cracked cuticles have cleared up from aplying it to Neko's coat !

I'm going to try it for Chloe for her appetite.

Organic, extra virgin coconut oil works at my house and I set up a recurring monthly order from Amazon so it's always on hand !

Edited by RiverCityGang

Coconut oil should NOT be hard as a rock in the jar. It is a Healthy oil for us and our dogs. Daisy and Dylan have been taking it for sometime now and I can see a huge improvement. They will be 11 in April and were starting to drag the back legs a bit (toenails dragging I should say). After about a month on VCO, they no longer drag and their breath is fresh again. I started taking it myself for depression purposes and can tell a big difference. I had a bit of high cholesterol and I had it checked again and it's back to normal. I did lose 20lbs also...we use CocoTherapy coconut oil. It's made for dogs, but I take the same stuff.

Guest firegypsy

Coconut oil should NOT be hard as a rock in the jar. It is a Healthy oil for us and our dogs. Daisy and Dylan have been taking it for sometime now and I can see a huge improvement. They will be 11 in April and were starting to drag the back legs a bit (toenails dragging I should say). After about a month on VCO, they no longer drag and their breath is fresh again. I started taking it myself for depression purposes and can tell a big difference. I had a bit of high cholesterol and I had it checked again and it's back to normal. I did lose 20lbs also...we use CocoTherapy coconut oil. It's made for dogs, but I take the same stuff.

depends on the temp. melting point is 76 degrees so if your house is colder it will be solid. I keep my house around 62 in the winter and the oil is rock hard. In the summer, not so much. It is an oil that gets solid when cool. However if you pick up a solid lump and hold it in your hands it will melt rather quickly.

But, they can get pancreatitis.

Edited to add- I'm not saying you should or should not supplement with it but, if your dog has a know pancreatic condition you might want to run it by your vet first before starting it.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest sirsmom

But, they can get pancreatitis.

Edited to add- I'm not saying you should or should not supplement with it but, if your dog has a know pancreatic condition you might want to run it by your vet first before starting it.

Of course.

Guest firegypsy

yup, and go slow. one should never start taking large amount of coconut oil. it's imperative, in people and animals to work your way up. and a little goes a long way.

I buy the Tropical Traditions when they have their price 2 for 1. Three out of four dogs in our house like it. I also use it topically on the pads of my greyhound, Mariah, who has warts along with Karasol (sp?). It does keep her pads soft and the warts maybe a little softer. A while back I was on a diet and had to be careful about using any oil on my body so I started using coconut oil on my body including the face and still do. It does not leave a oily residue. Our home is cool in the winter so it does harden up.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest firegypsy

I buy the Tropical Traditions when they have their price 2 for 1. Three out of four dogs in our house like it. I also use it topically on the pads of my greyhound, Mariah, who has warts along with Karasol (sp?). It does keep her pads soft and the warts maybe a little softer. A while back I was on a diet and had to be careful about using any oil on my body so I started using coconut oil on my body including the face and still do. It does not leave a oily residue. Our home is cool in the winter so it does harden up.

if it's the diet I'm thinking of coconut oil is an excellent choice!

No I did not take the coconut oil internally, I used it externally on my skin. The diet I was on did not allow any creams with oils to use on the skin thus I started doing the coconut oil thing. Now I am going to use it on my face and gobble gobble neck.

Guest firegypsy

No I did not take the coconut oil internally, I used it externally on my skin. The diet I was on did not allow any creams with oils to use on the skin thus I started doing the coconut oil thing. Now I am going to use it on my face and gobble gobble neck.

that's what I meant-sorry. The diet I'm thinking of has calorie restriction and you can't use creams/makeup. coconut oil is an excellent choice TOPICALLY for that diet and internally as you move to the second phase. :)

Hmm,interesting. The pet valu store where I buy Jeff's food just started stocking it, I noticed it on my last trip and was wondering 'why coconut oil' but didn't have time to ask and chat. I may have to grab a bottle, Jeffy is a picky/reluctant eater much of the time so I'm willing to give it a shot!

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Apparently a lot of old school trainers use it directly on the dogs' coats for shine. I bought a bottle ages ago but it hardened up and I never got around to seeing if it worked! Does anyone apply it topically?

I use it on my face, throat, arms, legs.........you name it and it is not greasy but leaves the skin nice and smooth. I also use it to soften my half pint, Mariah's pads and her warts.

that's what I meant-sorry. The diet I'm thinking of has calorie restriction and you can't use creams/makeup. coconut oil is an excellent choice TOPICALLY for that diet and internally as you move to the second phase. :)

Edited by brandimom