Coconut Oil.

Guest Tiz3

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of us with EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) use this with good results. Noelle fur is soft & her breath is good. I started with a small amount & went slow. She did have itchie skin before but doesn't now! All the greys get some on their dinner every day & love it.

Where are you getting yours from, Cathie. I had some.. but didn't know to use it with the dogs ... doh. I got mine from some over seas mail order that was quite pricey, I'd like good quality but do have to watch the budget.

You can get it from the natural alternatives section in your grocery store. Sometimes it is with the other specialty oils in your grocery store. Hope this helps.

-Rachael

WalMart has Spectrum Organic Coconut Oil in with their cooking oils

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Guest firegypsy

are you putting it on your hair, or is some getting into your hair at all? I use it on my face (that or castor oil) and have for 6 years or so and it hasn't changed the quality of my hair. Interesting.

I've personally been using coconut oil for about a year now - both for cooking & skin and hair care. We started adding it to Mulligan's food after hearing one of the other owners from our group say she used it. Sometimes I'll melt it and pour it over her food. Sometimes I just spoon it out & mash it up with her enzymes before adding the kibble.

As for personal use, I put it on my face & neck in the mornings. The last time I was at my dermatologist she commented on how great my rosacea looked. I didn't tell her I wasn't using the topical anti-biotic she prescribed & was using coconut oil instead. Anything left on my hands, I run through my wet hair. I think it makes it feel softer.

There's a great book called The Coconut Oil Miracle that explains a lot about coconut oil being a good saturated fat and it's many uses. I swear by the stuff now and tell everyone I know about it. Like someone else, I use it as a spread (like butter).

Cricket

Cricket, mom to Mulligan (Kycera) and Xena (Kebo Tina Turner )

I've personally been using coconut oil for about a year now - both for cooking & skin and hair care. We started adding it to Mulligan's food after hearing one of the other owners from our group say she used it. Sometimes I'll melt it and pour it over her food. Sometimes I just spoon it out & mash it up with her enzymes before adding the kibble.

As for personal use, I put it on my face & neck in the mornings. The last time I was at my dermatologist she commented on how great my rosacea looked. I didn't tell her I wasn't using the topical anti-biotic she prescribed & was using coconut oil instead. Anything left on my hands, I run through my wet hair. I think it makes it feel softer.

There's a great book called The Coconut Oil Miracle that explains a lot about coconut oil being a good saturated fat and it's many uses. I swear by the stuff now and tell everyone I know about it. Like someone else, I use it as a spread (like butter).

Cricket

For rosacea!?!?!?!? OMG could I finally have my miracle?!?!?! What EXACTLY do you do??

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Cricket

For rosacea!?!?!?!? OMG could I finally have my miracle?!?!?! What EXACTLY do you do??

I have a separate (smaller) container of coconut oil that I keep in the bathroom for personal use. I put the jar on the floor of the shower in the morning so the hot water from my shower melts it. I then dip my fingers in the jar, rub my hands together & put it over my entire face & neck. You can also just take a small amount of the solid CO out & rub it between your palms until it liquifies. I figured since coconut oil was an anti-viral/anti-fungal/anti-bacterial that I'd rather put something natural on my face.

Cricket

Wait a second...How bad is your rosacea? and what were you prescribed? Gawd, I'd love to have my rosacea finaly fade...

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Cricket

I have a separate (smaller) container of coconut oil that I keep in the bathroom for personal use. I put the jar on the floor of the shower in the morning so the hot water from my shower melts it. I then dip my fingers in the jar, rub my hands together & put it over my entire face & neck. You can also just take a small amount of the solid CO out & rub it between your palms until it liquifies. I figured since coconut oil was an anti-viral/anti-fungal/anti-bacterial that I'd rather put something natural on my face.

Cricket

And no store bought lotion? What about makeup? I rarely wear it. Usually just for special occasions. Do you use it under makeup?

Oof DP is going to have a fit. She HATES the smell of coconut!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest firegypsy

my father has rosacea. I told him to up his fish oil, do a clay mask once a week and use coconut oil on his face daily. he looks a MEEEEEEEELLION years better. YMMV.

Wait a second...How bad is your rosacea? and what were you prescribed? Gawd, I'd love to have my rosacea finaly fade...

I'd say it was mild - I didn't know I had it till I started going to a dermatologist on a yearly basis. Was prescribed Metrogel (don't remember what strength & I'm not at home).

Cricket

I'm using metrogel too. I'll give the coconut oil a shot and see what happens. and hopefully I can go from this :blush to this ;)

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

And no store bought lotion? What about makeup? I rarely wear it. Usually just for special occasions. Do you use it under makeup?

Oof DP is going to have a fit. She HATES the smell of coconut!

No, no store bough lotion. And I don't wear make-up, so can't answer that question. The coconut smell isn't overpowering - very light. Good luck with DP. ;)

Cricket

I'm using metrogel too. I'll give the coconut oil a shot and see what happens. and hopefully I can go from this :blush to this ;)

It sure can't hurt.

Cricket

You too, hunh?

I was on the metrogel. And metrolotion. And finally a pill (cant for the life of me remember name now). I would so rather something natural. I think I'll start tonight!

Holly, I've been feeding this to Myka for a couple of days and have tasted it and it barely smells and tastes like coconut so hopefully DP won't mind too much.

Ive been giving it to my kids. DP loathes it.

actually, to her it was bad when I rubbed it on Norms gums when he wasnt eating. Thats when she said it was bad. Maybe not so much anymore.

Ok...does anyone know what Canadian grocery store carries it?

I'm almost positive I saw it at our Bulk Barn (at the back with the essential oils, natural soaps, cooking oils, etc.). Any health food store would also probably have it....maybe even in the natural section at Zehrs (or Loblaws, or whatever it is called now :rolleyes: )

Well my face is coconut oiled. DP won't kiss me now. Lol.

I'm amazed at how little I needed and how it soaked right in. This will be an interesting experiment. Thanks for the advice!

Guest capers7

You know, my adoption group had suggested using coconut for firming up stools and for a while we could not get unsweetened coconut so I tried the oil. It was great, just a spoonful in my boy's food twice a day. Have not had any stool problems for a long time, but now he is itching and scratching, so after reading all these posts I am thinking I might try it again for more benefits. He certainly never had any problems with it. Thanks!! :)