Stem Cell Therapy

Guest LittleGreys

Guest LittleGreys

As I posted yesterday in my acupuncture post, I am on a last ditch effort to save my girl. I consulted with a vet yesterday and we discussed stem cell therapy. He is doing some research for me and we will talk again in the next couple days to see if this might be a possibility. I don't want to get my hopes up, but it has me interested.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have read that immune mediated polyarthritis dogs are ideal candidates, but not sure if my dog's case being erosive changes that.

As I posted yesterday in my acupuncture post, I am on a last ditch effort to save my girl. I consulted with a vet yesterday and we discussed stem cell therapy. He is doing some research for me and we will talk again in the next couple days to see if this might be a possibility. I don't want to get my hopes up, but it has me interested.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have read that immune mediated polyarthritis dogs are ideal candidates, but not sure if my dog's case being erosive changes that.

Talk to you vet about having a consult with Ohio State University - they have the Greyhound Health & Wellness program. They might be able to provide some more suggestions.

edited to add .. he link to the consult form is:

https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/consultation/index.cfm

Edited by MaryJane

Guest LittleGreys

Talk to you vet about having a consult with Ohio State University - they have the Greyhound Health & Wellness program. They might be able to provide some more suggestions.

edited to add .. he link to the consult form is:

https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/consultation/index.cfm

I have already been to Ohio State with her . I was pretty disappointed in their treatment of her there.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Dr. Radcliffe in West Virginia works with Stem Cell Therapy --- He talked about it at last year's Sandy Paws. Google him-- he knows his stuff!!

Here 304-242-9575

Edited by Mom2Shiloh

Dr. Radcliffe in West Virginia works with Stem Cell Therapy --- He talked about it at last year's Sandy Paws. Google him-- he knows his stuff!!

Here 304-242-9575

I was going to suggest calling him as well. He's very generous with his time and I would imagine would be willing to consult with your vet.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I know Dr. White at Finchville Animal Hospital (KY) has developed some kind of new stem cell therapy that is supposed to be nothing sort of remarkable. It has been all over the tv etc. and she has had great results. Might give her a call 502-834-7387.

Guest LittleGreys

Here 304-242-9575

My girls have been down to see Dr Radcliffe several times. He is a wonderful vet and wonderful person! I haven't had the girls down there for awhile, I hadn't heard he was using stem cells. I will certainly give him a call! Thank you!

I've heard of this, and I'm interested too. Not for just now, but Sid has some arthritis in his hip, and being a tripod, this is going to cripple him at some point. I'd be willing to try stem cell treatment for him, but haven't really looked into it yet, since we're not really there yet.

Please let us all know how you get on with it! I'm sure I'm not the only one who has contemplated the future and not seen a pretty sight. :(

The very best of good luck with your girl. :goodluck

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

My vets started doing some stem cell procedures last year. Don't know if / how well they really work but any port in a storm. Hope you can find out more and find a good option for her.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Is it similar to what's talked about in this thread?

click and scroll down a bit for a link describing this procedure

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Is it similar to what's talked about in this thread?

click and scroll down a bit for a link describing this procedure

That's interesting, but it's not what I was reading about. The new therapy involves an anaesthetic to remove some abdominal fat, which is cultured for stem cells, which are then extracted. Then the animal needs a procedure to inject the extracted stem cells (from it's own adipose tissue) into the affected joint. The idea is that the stem cells actually form new cartilage to repair the damaged joint. But it's very expensive.

Here's a piece about it - click.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

They are doing it on people with good results. I'm close to needing a hip replacement. My father referred me to a facility in Florida where they are repairing and rebuilding cartilage in the hip joint using injected stem cells. Too lengthy, complicated and expensive for me, but it does look promising. I hadn't heard of them doing it in dogs, but it makes sense!

I don't have any experience with stem cell therapy in dogs, but I use to work in umbilical cord blood preservation. My old boss is the CEO of a great company. From everything I've learned, stem cell therapy is wonderful, especially if you have stem cells that have not yet been degraded by environmental factors. If you could get stem cells from a healthy sibling that's a match for her, that would be a consideration. I have also heard about extracting your own healthy stem cells to treat an accident/injury. The problem is when the body is not healthy, then extracting stem cells from that body to use would not be beneficial.

Stem cell therapy is a very new, but very promising, treatment option. Haven't had any personal experience with it myself, but from the seminars and presentations I've attended, results can be amazing. If you can afford it, and if there's a facility within a feasible distance from you, it's certainly worth considering.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest LittleGreys

I was able to talk to Dr Radcliffe today, we discussed everything and he feels Munchie would be a good candidate for the stem cell therapy. He can do everything in his office and has done them before, so 2 giant bonuses over trying to deal with a local vet here. She will go in the morning and come home in the afternoon. I am so excited to think this might work for her!! She is scheduled for next Friday, pending that I can get the day off from work. I put a plea in to my office manager, so she will get back to me hopefully soon!

I am excited and scared at the same time! Please keep Munchie in your prayers, this may be the answer to my prayers.....

Please keep us posted. I look forward to seeing your progress. I know Dr. Radcliffe is really into this as a treatment option so it will be neat to actually see him put it to use with a GT dog. I really hope it's effective for Munchie. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."