California Natural

packmom

Is anyone else having problems feeding California Natural? We've been using it for about a year-Lamb and Rice small bites. They did well at first. Over the past few months the gas has gotten exponentialy worse and there have been bouts of soft stools and big D. I'm thinking it's time to switch to something with limited ingredients.

No problems here. We've been feeding the lamb and rice, large bites, for the four years we've had the dogs. I haven't noticed any changes lately. They do get occasional bouts of soft stools, but since we give them treat as well as miscellaneous fruit and veg handouts, I can't really pin that on the kibble.

Hope you find something that works for yours!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Guest verthib

Is anyone else having problems feeding California Natural? We've been using it for about a year-Lamb and Rice small bites. They did well at first. Over the past few months the gas has gotten exponentialy worse and there have been bouts of soft stools and big D. I'm thinking it's time to switch to something with limited ingredients.

I've tried it on my girl grey, my prior boxer and my cats and it didn't agree with any of them.

Yes. We are having problems too, but we just started on it. Daisy has smelly, soft poo, her white fur is turning yellow around her mouth and reddish around her eyes. She is also chewing her feet and lower lets.

Daisy had allergy testing done (found to be allergic to 22 things, not all food), and Cal Naturals L&R was one food on the list that she could have. We're going to have to switch again. GH vet has suggested Royal Canin Potato & Venison, or Potato & Duck. The venison one has fish oil (Daisy is allergic to fish), and the ingredients for either don't seem stellar (potato, protein meal, then protein source, then potato protein). The price is RIDICULOUS-nearly $60 FOR ONLY 17.6 lbs!!!!

Just to give you a heads up on the LID. Daisy was on Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Potato & Venison for years, but they recently added pea protein, one of her allergens. She also didn't seem to be absorbing the nutrients well, but not sure if that's due to the new ingredient or if it was always that way and I just didn't notice.

Good luck. I'm so dreading this. We went through it for the first two years or more that we had Daisy.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I've been feeding Chicken w/ Rice to House, Hitchie and Stel and Herring w/ Sweet Potato to Lizzie for a few years now and have not had any issues. Lizzie is eating better now than she ever has.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Remember the company was sold. Wonder if there is a change of some ingredients.

Yes, I always dread this has happened when we do well on a food and then have problems.

After a couple of fecal tests to rule out bugs and some research (cross referencing for their kindey concerns) I think we will try the new Nutro Grain Free either venison or turkey. Although Dr. C. says the renal diet debate is split down the middle as to whether it makes much difference. Blue has some good ones also but they have peas which you avoid for kidney issues apparently.

My vet offered the Royal Canin also and to try to get us a Kangaroo blend but We'll try this first. It's not allergies, just sensitive tummies.

We've got some Met. and Fortiflora also to get things settled down.

Edited by packmom

Guest verthib

Yes. We are having problems too, but we just started on it. Daisy has smelly, soft poo, her white fur is turning yellow around her mouth and reddish around her eyes. She is also chewing her feet and lower lets.

Daisy had allergy testing done (found to be allergic to 22 things, not all food), and Cal Naturals L&R was one food on the list that she could have. We're going to have to switch again. GH vet has suggested Royal Canin Potato & Venison, or Potato & Duck. The venison one has fish oil (Daisy is allergic to fish), and the ingredients for either don't seem stellar (potato, protein meal, then protein source, then potato protein). The price is RIDICULOUS-nearly $60 FOR ONLY 17.6 lbs!!!!

Royal Canin here at Petsmart is under $30 for a 17 lb bag. Where are you located?

Just to give you a heads up on the LID. Daisy was on Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Potato & Venison for years, but they recently added pea protein, one of her allergens. She also didn't seem to be absorbing the nutrients well, but not sure if that's due to the new ingredient or if it was always that way and I just didn't notice.

Good luck. I'm so dreading this. We went through it for the first two years or more that we had Daisy.

I have all three of my dogs on California natural and they do well on it....price has gone up though and I'm guessing it has something to do with the sale of the company. Anyone else find their cost for this food has gone up?

Hi-- just wanted to comment on the peas. I had a kidney friendly diet (glomerulinephritis) designed for my Kate by Dr Remillard and the recipe contained peas!!

Hugs to the gang!

Really!? I was going crazy trying to find the right diet this year and the last time Dr C. saw MC he said the kidney guys are split on the issue of diet now and not to worry about it. Just feed him what he wants to eat. Maybe because MC is 12 and it can't help him at this age.

Guest ThunderPaws

Been feeding California Natural Lamb and Rice to my now senior afghan hound for years (can't eat poultry fat due to her corneal lipid deposits). She's been doing very well on it (good poops, clear eyes, yay).

But.. the 30 pound bag went up to almost $60! :eek

VERTHLB--apparently the Royal Canin is so expensive because it's a vet formula. I assume the pet food store varieties are less expensive.

Since Daisy didn't absorb the other brand of venison and potato that she ate, and since Royal Canin contains fish oil (and she's allergic to fish), I'm not going to try it.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04