Ace Has Me Scared

When I got home from work, I let the dogs out and immedately when Ace set foot outside, she held up her back right leg and screamed. I got her to hop back into my screened porch to see if I could figure out what was going on. Seemed to just be muscle cramps, but she'd scream if I even touched her. In an attempt to get away from me, she started using it again a little bit. I was able to let her out into the yard and she did her business.

She came in and ate dinner and is still a bit tender with it. Then she tried to jump up onto the couch and she screamed again and held it up. I muzzled her (she is bitey when she's in pain or scared) and put her on her side on the couch. I've done ROM with her leg, checked her toes, flexed them all, squeezed her femur, manipulated her knee, felt all down her leg, checked the hock. Everything seems to be fine, but her thigh muscles were jumping like crazy. I finally got them to quit and she's resting quietly now. I gave her some robaxin so we'll see if that helps.

I am THINKING we are just having muscle cramping, but, I can't really figure out why, unless the sudden freezing cold and snow showing up has something to do with it. She does take prednisone, which I know can cause cramping as well.

She has an appointment for something else tomorrow morning, so I'll ask the vet about it too. I'm hoping she will just have a restful night.

Of course after all we've been through with Sutra and now Pinky, immediately my first thought is osteo and my heart drops. I think this is something else, but, I may have them xray her leg tomorrow anyway, just so I can stop worrying.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like muscle cramps to me also. Maybe something to increase her potassium like bananas?

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Good idea, Judy. But, I don't have bananas here as I'm super allergic to them. I DO, however, have potassium pills.

She has been acting a little bit off for a few days now-like her leg muscles are hurting her. I'm now wondering if she's reacting to the prednisone. She's been on it for 2 years now though, seems odd she would all of a sudden have a reaction. She takes it every other day, and today is an off day. I'll ask tomorrow if we should continue to give it.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Many good thoughts....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I got her situated on the love seat and covered her with her favorite fluffy blanket. Her feet were really cold to the touch too, so that might be helping to cause the cramping. Hopefully a good night's rest will help. My poor little peanut puppy :(

After snoozing on the couch for a few hours, she still acts like she's in pain. I know I'm sore after muscle cramps, but not usually until the next day. She's really not feeling well, she wouldn't give me bedtime kisses :cry1

My DH has muscle cramps (to the point where he is prescribed quinine to prevent them) and for him the soreness and aching persist for a looong time afterwards. The next day he will often still be limping.

I know that pred can cause bleeding/bruising, so I suppose you have to wonder if that is a factor, and I believe muscle pain/cramping is on the list of possible side effects. Good idea to ask when you take her in.

Let us know what the vet says!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest FullMetalFrank

We give our pups a tablespoon of molasses after they've been running, to help avoid muscle cramps. They love the taste :rolleyes: I am really hoping that it's just cramps and that she's feeling better soon!

She seems a little bit better this morning. Dr. Less checked the leg over while we were there. Basically, it's a wait-and-see-if-it-happens-more sort of thing. She has been more like herself today, so I'll take that as a good sign.

We do have bad news though-the tumor that she had removed from the other back leg has come back :( She's got two BB-sized tumors just to the right of her scar from her surgery. I was hoping that they were just scar tissue or suture, but, Dr. Less thinks they're little seedlings from the original tumor. One lateral margin was very small (2mm) on the pathology report. Ace will be going with us when Pinky has her next chemo so we can have a consult with Dr. Thomsen on the 5FU protocol as we'd like to start that with Ace and hope it will get rid of these little ones that have popped up and keep others from showing up.

Oh man Kristin, I'm sorry to hear that news. Hopefully you've caught them in time so they can be treated with success.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Forgot to mention that Dr. Less said he COULD try to remove these as well, but, we're running into the problem of not having much more skin to pull together back there, and healing after the last one was a hugely stressful endeavor. We'll see what Dr. T has to say on the 26th and we'll go from there. I will be monitoring these things like a hawk though. If they grow at all between now and then, we may just have to try to remove them and then go for the 5FU.

Oh no, Ace!!!! I hope the screaming stops for good. I am so sorry to hear about the tumors. I am sure you will make the right decision. When it rains, it pours sometimes. Can't they use a patch of skin from somewhere in order to get the surgery done? I guess greys don't even have butts to draw from......

I hope your next treatment plan goes forward swiftly since all we can do is treat when tumors happen. I wonder if you can speed up the process or if the onco is comfortable with waiting until the 26th?

Hugs for you and your fur family!!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Oh no Kristin. Sending healin thoughts to your sweet girl.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Kristen, I am sorry you are going through this with Ace and that the vet believes the cancer is back. Thinking good thoughts for Ace and Pinky of course!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

She had more cramping this morning :( When she got out of bed, she was holding her leg up. I'll continue to monitor the situation but if it doesn't improve in a few days, I'll be getting X-rays of her leg and her hips/spine.

I'm in the living room watching the Golden Globes. Ace has put herself to bed in the bedroom. This is making me so sad...I hope I can figure out what is causing this.

After stewing and stewing about this, I really think it is the pred causing it. Yesterday morning she seemed much better, then last night I gave her the prednisone. This morning she was a wreck again.

I have also been giving her Fresh Factors. I have purposely not given her the Springtime Joint Health Tabs since they have MSM in them, and after one of Burpdog's babies had an issue with pred + MSM, I'm definitely not going there.

So, the problem has to be one or the other, or the combination of the two. I have an email in to Dr. Marin at OSU about this-the pred is part of her leukemia treatment and she takes 10mg every other day. I certainly don't want to continue to do this to her, but I am not sure how to go about weaning her off of the pred when it may be causing these horribly scary problems for her. She has not wagged her tail today at all...and for me, it is honestly a bigger blow than dealing with Pinky having osteo. For Ace to go a whole day with her tail tucked is just unheard of and it is breaking my heart to see her like this.

Edited for iPhone typos

Edited by krissn333