Hello! Newbie In St Louis

Guest Eyeblaura

Guest Eyeblaura

Hello! We are in the process of adopting a retired racer from REGAP in St Louis. We had to let our beloved Pitbull mix go about 1 1/2 years ago after 13 great years and decided about 6 months ago we were ready to consider a new dog. We have 2 young girls (almost 5 and 1 1/2) and did a lot of research on what kind of breeds we thought would be a good fit for our family and the greyhound was a top choice.

We didn't want a puppy, like large dogs, with low maintenance coats and low odor and shedding. So we contacted REGAP at the end of November. They had a dog being fostered that they thought would be a good fit but were a bit concerned about his size and my youngest. We met him and he is AMAZING. He is truly a gentle giant. Both my girls have been exposed to dogs and are both very gentle but obviously we want to establish rules of respect and boundaries with the dog (or any animal for that matter).

So we brought him home a couple days ago. We haven't adopted him yet, they wanted us to take him home make sure everyone adjusted well etc. and we have been in close contact with the group. So far unless he has a major personality change I don't see there being any issues.

Thought I'd jump on board, I've been lurking and reading for several weeks gaining as much knowledge as I can.

Here he is his racing name is USS Race On (although if he stays with us I think he will be named Enzo). He's a big boy, weighs in at 87 lbs.

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

He is beautiful and it sounds like you've got a new family member! My granddaughter is 5-1/2, and she and Annie Bella get along fine. They don't play together because Annie Bella isn't a shake-that-stuffy, let's run around and play, type of girl . My GD will lay down next to Annie Bella and croon to her and give her love.

Edited by Feisty49

Welcome and good luck!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Eyeblaura

Sooooo.....where'd you go to high school? :lol

You must be a native St. Louisan? :lol

I grew up in West County and went to Parkway South, you? I went away to college and grad school and moved back to O'fallon about 6 years ago.

Sooooo.....where'd you go to high school? :lol

You must be a native St. Louisan? :lol

I grew up in West County and went to Parkway South, you? I went away to college and grad school and moved back to O'fallon about 6 years ago.

Whatever gave me away? :lol

I grew up in NoCo and went to Hazelwood Central. I live in Colorado now, but to my delight, found a restaurant started by a native St. Louisian that serves toasted ravioli and St. Louis-style pizza complete with provel cheese! (Ask if I am a happy girl!) I am in the process of getting the Coloradans hooked on it.....they love it....mwah-ha-ha.....

Errm, anyhow, congrats on your boy! He's beautiful!

Guest avadogner

Congrats and welcome from Birmingham, Alabama! We have a giant boy (90 lbs) who is a love bug! He is the BIGGEST baby! He is terrified of his own reflection and ultra submissive. Our sickly 52 lb 12 yr female Ava bosses him annd he gladly says "yes, mam!" With greys, size isn't a big issue as personality. If you have a submissive big boy, he can be easier than a small female. My 3 yr twin nephews love Augie but he is still afraid they will try to ride him like a horse. They are adorable but wild! Please keep us posted on Enzo and feel free to assk questions. Greys are wonderful but are a little different since they are coming from track life to home life. We had to teach him how to use stairs, walk on hardwoods and not to.walk into glass doors. It sounds insane but they adjust pretty fast and always find the softest places cuddle up without trouble.

-ava &augie's mum alicia

Guest Eyeblaura

Magdalene, I am not with you on the pizza, deep dish is more my style. I am not a fan of Provel and my husband is a Chicago native so he REALLY doesn't like St Louis style pizza, the toasted Ravioli is another story! Love that stuff!

Alicia, he definitely seems to be submissive, we'll see as he warms up a bit more but so far he seems pretty tame. Our previous dog was a VERY dominant female pitbull mix that we really had to keep on top of, you gave her an inch and she would try to take a mile. He was in a foster home for about 6 months before coming to us so he has adjusted pretty well to home living but we have been working on teaching stairs (they had a ranch) and we had to put tape on our sliding glass door, sometimes now he stands there wanting to come in and doesn't realize the door is open, you have to reach out and touch him before he'll step through :blush He seems to be learning quickly though. He doesn't try to get on the furniture and I am good with not encouraging that behavior. We'll see if that lasts!

Welcome to the greyhound cult :colgate.

Your adoption group may have already told you this: With a young child, there is danger of the child opening a door and accidentally letting the dog out. A greyhound is trained to bolt out of the door (starting gate) as fast as possible. That is why it is often recommended to put a lock (up high, out of reach of the child) on all doors that do not lead to a fenced yard. Also, padlock any gates to your fencing. Your utility companies can install a remote RF device on your meters so they don't even have to enter your yard to read the meter. If you absolutely cannot padlock your gates, at the minimum install a spring that will automatically close the gate.

One other thing. Some greyhounds sleep with their eyes partly open. Since they were never touched when they were asleep at the track, it is best to not touch your grey unless you know he is awake. A few greys have something called "sleep startle" and may bite if awakened quickly. This usually improves as they get used to being a pet and your routines. Until you know for sure that your grey has no trace of this, monitor the children carefully.

Enzo is indeed very handsome. I hope you have many lovely years together.

Jane

Edited to add: I just noticed that it looks like you have tags on the d-ring of the martingale collar. Tags should be placed on one of the adjustment buckles to prevent accidental choking. Better yet, put the tags on a tag collar (no martingale feature) and only put the martingale collar on when you are going to leash walk.

Edited by joejoesmom

Guest Eyeblaura

Thanks for all the tips Jane. We have locks on all three fence gates, we had problems with this before, not sure who was opening the gate, we assume a neighborhood kid. One of the gates is not easily viewed from our back door, especially at night. After our previous dog getting out a couple of times and having to hunt her down in panic we put locks on all the gates.

Our doors also have childproof locks, originally installed for the safety of our children but will serve both purposes now.

My oldest daughter is old enough to understand not to pet the dog while he is laying down, we are working on it with our youngest. So far we haven't seen him sleeping with his eyes open and is very tolerant of being petted while laying down but it is a work in progress. Our rescue did warn us that they can sleep with their eyes open.

The collars were put on by the rescue and the foster. I have read to not put tags on the D-ring of the martingale so I will change that. Right now that tag has the rescue group info on it and the buckle collar has the foster phone number embroidered on it. I have left them on until I get him tags, just in case. I plan on giving both collars back this weekend when we meet and getting him new tags and collar on on my to do list tomorrow.

So far he is proving to be very good with my girls and overall a very relaxed guy. We are being diligent with watching the girls around him and making sure they are respecting his boundaries and definitely aren't leaving them alone unsupervised. He seems to feel pretty relaxed around them already as he will crash right in the middle of the family room and they are having to walk around him and the chaos is going on all around him and he doesn't even lift his head.

Handsome boy...and I love 'Enzo' as a name.

I have Grandkids.. 5 and 3.. who visit a a couple of times a month, and they get along just fine with our Greys.

None of my dogs like to 'play'. Nigel will catch a stuffie, but then all he wants to do it chew and squeak it.

Nixon is pretty reserved and will just remove himself upstairs to his bed if the kids get a bit noisy.

Ruby only came her in August and has barked at them a couple of times when they've stepped into her space on her bed, but now we're all aware of this issue and the kids steer clear of her if she's on her bed. She's fine when she's standing up and likes to be walked on her leash around the house by the 5 year old.

She has never done this with DH or myself...just the kids.

Nigel has only been here a month and the kids have only met him twice. He's very quiet and laid back...I think he'll be like Nixon, and just remove himself upstairs if things get too hectic.

Sounds like you've done your homework and are working with a good Group...I'm sure the kids and dogs will be fine together.

Keep the pictures coming....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I use 2 collars for my dogs. A regular collar with their tags that never comes off and a martingale for walking them.

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

Guest verthib

I use two collars too, at the advice of folks on this board. It's worrisome that the rescue and foster are putting tags on the D rings. Maybe you could share that with them. Congrats on your new boy! People have given you some great advice and it sounds like you've done your homework. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is alone training. A lot of greys have separation anxiety. Was he crated at the fosters? Have you thought of gating him in a puppy proofed room without kid toys? All things to think of. I am sure you will deal with everything as you go along. It sounds like you are off to a great start. Congrats again!! :)

Wow, Enzo is really handsome! I love the big boys. Congratulations!!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France