Keeping My Dog

Guest Arielle

My real question, the one that I guess I didn't do a very good job of phrasing before, is will she settle down in time?

To this question, very likely, yes. You've already seen evidence of this. Dogs do best when they know what to expect and know what they're supposed to do. They get this from routine, structure, and consistent expectations. If you're willing and able to provide this type of structure and routine, your dog will get more confident and comfortable as time goes on.

It's interesting, whenever there's a dog, particularly a new dog who's being put into a brand new environment, that exhibits behavioral issues, we try all kinds of things to try to get that dog back on track. I think the thing we forget is that one of the biggest factors in most dogs improving is the simple passing of time. It's during the passing of time that the dog is figuring things out, feeling safer, more confident, as it finally has a chance to understand who things work in its new world.

Oh, and no. The fact that you're regularly gone 8 hrs a day is a non-issue. If anything, it becomes part of the dog's routine. If these dogs couldn't thrive and feel loved in a home where they have to be left alone for 8-10 hr increments, then no single person who works full time, or any couple who works full time, should ever own a dog. And anyone who implies that is spewing a big fat steaming pile of crap.

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel there are all types of "dog owners" out there. Some of us work long days, some of us don't. Some of us are well off, some aren't. Some feed Ol' Roy- some feed Raw. The list goes on, I guess.

I work long hours BUT my mother is here with me most of the time to help with the dogs. There was a time when she moved out and I started to worry about about how I was going to balance working 12 hour days (especially since our busy season is in the summer) and getting the dogs out and fed. I also was starting a second shift job so I wouldn't be home until late at night (or early in the am) but I came up with ways to make it work.

I think when your schedule is a little tough, you just have to make some adjustments here and there if your truly committed.

If having her isn't for you, that's something you just have to be honest about. It sounds like you've come a long ways with her issues and you've settled into the idea of having her around- and I think she'll give you a much needed break from all the studies when you do have the time.

I went from working part time after being laid off to working 2 jobs, to working 3 jobs then working just 2 jobs, then just the one I have now- then from 3rd shift to 2nd shift this past year and this has been since I adopted her in 2008 or so, so I think if you're worried about schedules and how she will adjust- you would be surprised.

I think, in the end, the way we treat them when we're there- the time we give them when we can, is just as precious.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

Again, I would just not have a dog if I was gone 10-12 hours per day. It's just not fair to them. Period.

When I worked at Embassy Suites I worked four nine hour shifts -- plus an hour commute made it 10 hours. I not only had three dogs but also fosters and we all lived.

Now if I close I leave at 3:15 and get home around 1:15 and appear to have three happy dogs. That said, they have each other, a dog door and watchful neighbors. 12 hours a day as an only dog (especially crated) would be a different story.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My real question, the one that I guess I didn't do a very good job of phrasing before, is will she settle down in time? Is her anxiety simply a result of being in a completely new environment, or is it because of my lifestyle and the fact that I'm gone eight hours per day?

Probably time -- see rallyp's answer. Some dogs settle more quickly, some take longer. If the dog is making progress overall (there may be a small setback from time to time) and isn't so freaked out as to be harming herself, I'd let time and your routine do their work.

Usually when I get home I take about two hours before eating dinner and hitting the books to walk her, let her run, and just spend time with her. On weekends we do at least one outing to the park.

That is roughly what we do here. Somebody is home nearly 100% of the time here, so the greyhounds are offered more opportunities to play with a person, run outside, etc. They do like outdoor sunbaths in the proper season, but mostly they nap until our daily "dog time."

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm home 24/7 with my dogs. Do you know what they do, they sleep! I let them out to go potty when needed and they will run and play once, maybe twice a day. The rest of the time they are sacked out all over the house, so your girl gets as much exercise as my dogs do.

It sounds like she's already improving and thats awesome, you're headed in the right direction. If you love her and are bonded to her and are committed to continue helping her through her adjustment period, then I say keep her.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Ahhhhh thank you for the reply. So glad you didn't let Ari just be tossed aside when the school was finished with her. I would have done exactly as you did. The short answer to your question is yes, I think Ari will settle for you eventually. She seems to already be making progress. Only you can answer the question of do you have enough time. Seems as if you do but that is totally your call. Let us know how things go and what you decide to do.

Ignore the off topic bickering about irrelevant things. There are people here who blather on and on and on just to "prove" they are right. The ignore feature is your friend.

All right, let me first apologize for opening this can of worms. I did not mean to create so much animosity. I do appreciate any advice, even if it isn't what I want to hear, I just don't really see what me considering whether my home is the right one for Ari has to do with my commitment to being a veterinarian. To me that has nothing to do with anything and is just insulting, but maybe I jumped the gun.

I guess some more backstory is required to clarify... I first met Ari when I started volunteering as a dog walker in the blood donor ward at the teaching hospital at my school. I was struck by how quiet and sweet she was, and my heart went out to her because every time I brought her out to be walked she started shaking until we got outside, as if she was terrified that I was going to bring her to be stuck with needles. The guy in charge of the blood donor ward told me that she had been there for over two years, longer than any of the other greyhounds, and they had been trying to find a home for her for a year now and if they didn't find one soon she would be euthanized. I know several other people in my class who have dogs and they make it work in spite of our busy schedules, so I thought I would do the same. I admit that I didn't know the first thing about greyhounds and didn't do enough research, but the guy assured me that greyhounds are extremely lazy dogs and would be perfect for a busy student. Had I found this forum before and found out about the host of issues that newly adopted greys can have, I probably would have made a different decision, but I can't change that now.

So the reason that I adopted Ari was because I loved her and I wanted to rescue her, and I love her more than anything still. Which is why I have come here. If I gave the impression that I'm fed up or unwilling to work with her, I'm sorry but I didn't mean to give off that vibe at all. My real question, the one that I guess I didn't do a very good job of phrasing before, is will she settle down in time? Is her anxiety simply a result of being in a completely new environment, or is it because of my lifestyle and the fact that I'm gone eight hours per day? If it is the former, I am more than willing to stick it out, but if it is the latter then I want to do what's best for her.

Usually when I get home I take about two hours before eating dinner and hitting the books to walk her, let her run, and just spend time with her. On weekends we do at least one outing to the park. I agree wholeheartedly with Krissy that I would rather take a hit to my grades and have a life outside of school that includes pets. I do enjoy our daily walks and just having her around.

In conclusion, sorry that this is so long. If I came across as a flaky commitment-phobe, I apologize, and I apologize again for getting everyone so riled up. But once again, thanks to everyone for the advice.

First off she is probaby nervous because you are wether you realize it or not. When we brought our first hound home we did not know anything about Greyhounds but we learned. Our girl was shy and it took her 3 months to finally start coming out of her shell but we loved her so we gave her space and tried to show her that she was safe and loved. Our pups are home alone for 8 to 10 hours a day and they do fine. I make sure they have a nice walk befor I leave in the morning and then DH lets them out in the yard for a run when he gets home, when I get home depending on what is going on they get a longer walk. Our schedules don't always allow as much time for the hounds as I would like but they are showered with love and well taken care of. I beleive you can work these issues out and if you love your pup things will work out. Good Luck and Good Luck with school.

Ignore the off topic bickering about irrelevant things. There are people here who blather on and on and on just to "prove" they are right. The ignore feature is your friend.

Great advice :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest KennelMom

I think you need to sit back and consider:

- Do you love the dog?

- Do you cherish the dog's companionship?

- Are you committed to providing good care for the dog (which might mean arranging for a dog walker when you have very long hours, etc.)?

- Do you feel the dog is reasonably content in your environment?

If the answers are all yes, then no reason to give the dog up.

If the dog weren't content -- for example, had severe SA or certain other behavioral/medical issues -- then my advice might be different. Some people/households are well equipped to work with certain issues, and some aren't. I would rather see a dog go to a better suited home than to spend years learning bad habits, receiving poor care, or being unnecessarily drugged to the gills in the name of "commitment."

1000% this!!!! :nod Some dogs are super easy. Some dogs are damn difficult and/or needy. Most greyhounds tend to be on the easy side of the spectrum. I stay home with ours 24/7 and they are not all couch potatoes! Many of them are active all. day. long.

My SIL graduated first in her class from NCSU vet school and she had a dog since her first year. I think owning the dog was BY FAR the easiest part of those years! Her dog came from the vet program after being treated for HW and was one of the last ones left that no one wanted.:( She had some issues, but overall her (the dog) personality is pretty laid back.

Good luck!

Edited by KennelMom

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Ariele,

The only thing that I would stress that you keep saying that if you knew your hound would have the "typical" problems you see around here.

Let me explain something to you, what you see here IS NOT TYPICAL. That is why this board exists! The posts here are extreme examples of behavior. The reason people come here is to find answers for out of the norm problems. I have three hounds, and have fostered MANY MANY hounds over the years, your issue is rare. Yes I have adopted many out as only hounds and its rare to see your problem. Even though your so called problem is nothing more than some whining.

Since you are apparently going to be a vet, you are going to remember this experience with your greyhound and think that is the norm for the breed and even bash the breed down the road when people talk to you about their dogs, or wanting a specific breed. I hope you understand what you see here is not the norm.

Another thing, what school did you "rescue" your hound from. If they have greyhounds in a blood bank that they are going to PTS, then CALL A STINKING ADOPTION GROUP!!! I would think that a school would have more wherewithal to know that any greyhound adoption group within a few hours drive will come get a hound before it is PTS.

I do agree about the issue that you re-homing a dog has a direct relationship to your ability to be a good vet. You may not agree, but as you get older and more experienced in life, you will see the correlation.

Ariele,

The only thing that I would stress that you keep saying that if you knew your hound would have the "typical" problems you see around here.

Let me explain something to you, what you see here IS NOT TYPICAL. That is why this board exists! The posts here are extreme examples of behavior. The reason people come here is to find answers for out of the norm problems. I have three hounds, and have fostered MANY MANY hounds over the years, your issue is rare. Yes I have adopted many out as only hounds and its rare to see your problem. Even though your so called problem is nothing more than some whining.

Since you are apparently going to be a vet, you are going to remember this experience with your greyhound and think that is the norm for the breed and even bash the breed down the road when people talk to you about their dogs, or wanting a specific breed. I hope you understand what you see here is not the norm.

Another thing, what school did you "rescue" your hound from. If they have greyhounds in a blood bank that they are going to PTS, then CALL A STINKING ADOPTION GROUP!!! I would think that a school would have more wherewithal to know that any greyhound adoption group within a few hours drive will come get a hound before it is PTS.

I do agree about the issue that you re-homing a dog has a direct relationship to your ability to be a good vet. You may not agree, but as you get older and more experienced in life, you will see the correlation.

not to draw this out, but i dont know -- i am missing the part of the original post in this thread where she was asking if she has made the right career choices. i read it as a person asking advice about a dog. passing judgment on someone when judgment was neither solicited nor relevant usually doesnt make for constructive conversations.

also its funny, when *i* got older, what i learned is that everybody takes their own route to get to where theyre going. there are model policemen who were delinquents as kids ; criminals who came from model backgrounds. all sorts of people do all sorts of things. i am going to guess that the winding road of life is no different for a veterinarian than any other human being.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Jaym,

Thank you for helping to better illustrate my point. Hopefully the poster can see how there is a correlation, but has the ability to change. =)

(yes I know that wasn't what you thought you were saying)

I'm home 24/7 with my dogs. Do you know what they do, they sleep! I let them out to go potty when needed and they will run and play once, maybe twice a day. The rest of the time they are sacked out all over the house, so your girl gets as much exercise as my dogs do.

It sounds like she's already improving and thats awesome, you're headed in the right direction. If you love her and are bonded to her and are committed to continue helping her through her adjustment period, then I say keep her.

For whatever it's worth, I purchased a nanny-cam a few months ago...and guess what....THEY SLEEP!! :rolleyes: I pop on and off from my office at work...the big thing that goes on is bed swapping. I would imagine if I had this when Jack was alive (and an "only" hound), I would have seen the same thing.

It doesn't sound like your hound is displaying the SA traits that a lot of people post about on the bored...i.e. destructive, loud barking, etc....so I would imagine she isn't too unhappy.

As others have said, you need to decide if you love her and want to keep her....don't let the fact that she is alone for a bit during the day be the deciding factor. That being said, if you think your schedule is going to get to a point where you can't keep her, then you need to make the decision now so that she isn't even more attached.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

So a while back I posted a thread about my greyhound Ari. Just to refresh on some background info, Ari is four years old (five in May) and I adopted her from a blood donor program back in September. When I first brought her home, she was extremely anxious and would whine and pace through the house for hours on end. Even after a long walk, she would still pace and cry for no apparent reason. Other than that, I have had none of the other issues that seem to be common on here. She has never destroyed anything (other than paper towels) or had a bathroom accident in the house, nor has she exhibited any signs of space aggression or resource guarding. She does have issues with other dogs, but other than that she really is one of the sweetest dogs that I have ever encountered.

The pacing and whining didn't let up for a long time, and I thought that it was because I didn't have the time to give her the exercise and attention that she needed due to my hectic schedule as a first-year veterinary student. As much as I love her, after much crying and debating I had decided to try and find a better home for Ari. This was about a week ago.

Since then, it seems like my prayers have been answered. Ari is suddenly much calmer. She sleeps for most of the day, and after our afternoon walk, which normally lasts about forty-five minutes, she pretty much passes out on her bed for the rest of the night, leaving me free to study the night away. Even today, when she hasn't had her walk yet, she has been snoozing on her bed since I got home two hours ago. She hardly ever whines anymore.

The big question is, should I keep her? I want to so badly, but am not sure that it would be fair to her. My school schedule is going to be absolutely crazy for the next eight weeks, but I am told by upper year students that after that it gets easier and we have a lot more time n our hands. So should I stick it out? I would appreciate any advice anyone has to give, no matter your opinion. Thank you!

I've read almost every response you've gotten. Some have said what I think, which is, to put it succinctly, if you want to keep the dog, keep her. You said your prayers have been answered so it seems to me you love her and have bonded.

Is it fair to her? Was it fair for her to spend two years as a donor dog and then face death? No, it wasn't, but it's certainly "fair" for this girl to have a good home with you.

The issue with her whining and pacing is improving, if not entirely gone, so IMO the only question that has to be answered is: Can you get over the feeling that you are guilty of something because in your mind it isn't ideal?

And to put in my two cents regarding using you as a vet because you might give up or considered giving up Ari: I would use you if all other things were good for Annie Bella. Until I walk in somebody's shoes, which is not possible, who am I to judge? Also, I maintain a professional relationship with my vet so there is no way I would know s/he had ever given up a dog after adoption. It's not a question I ask when interviewing a vet for Greyhound purposes.

One more thing :lol -- I adopted Annie Bella in mid-July of this year. The changes in her personality, which was good to begin with, are remarkable. Nothing changed overnight, but ever so slowly, week by week, month by month, she is becoming more of who she will be living here in her Forever Home. I was told by my adoption group that it can take up to a year to see the "final" version of Annie Bella (and longer actually because dogs like human continue to evolve) and I'm looking forward to these months. Have faith in yourself and in Arielle (lovely name), stop feeling guilty and (not that you asked :huh) stop apologizing.

My real question, the one that I guess I didn't do a very good job of phrasing before, is will she settle down in time?

To this question, very likely, yes. You've already seen evidence of this. Dogs do best when they know what to expect and know what they're supposed to do. They get this from routine, structure, and consistent expectations. If you're willing and able to provide this type of structure and routine, your dog will get more confident and comfortable as time goes on.

It's interesting, whenever there's a dog, particularly a new dog who's being put into a brand new environment, that exhibits behavioral issues, we try all kinds of things to try to get that dog back on track. I think the thing we forget is that one of the biggest factors in most dogs improving is the simple passing of time. It's during the passing of time that the dog is figuring things out, feeling safer, more confident, as it finally has a chance to understand who things work in its new world.

Oh, and no. The fact that you're regularly gone 8 hrs a day is a non-issue. If anything, it becomes part of the dog's routine. If these dogs couldn't thrive and feel loved in a home where they have to be left alone for 8-10 hr increments, then no single person who works full time, or any couple who works full time, should ever own a dog. And anyone who implies that is spewing a big fat steaming pile of crap.

Nicely said!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest verthib

Again, I would just not have a dog if I was gone 10-12 hours per day. It's just not fair to them. Period.

When I worked at Embassy Suites I worked four nine hour shifts -- plus an hour commute made it 10 hours. I not only had three dogs but also fosters and we all lived.

Now if I close I leave at 3:15 and get home around 1:15 and appear to have three happy dogs. That said, they have each other, a dog door and watchful neighbors. 12 hours a day as an only dog (especially crated) would be a different story.

Well, the dog door says it all. I guess I was not very clear. If a dog is crated, or left loose with no access to a bathroom, for 12-14 hours, that seems excessive to me. Again, my opinion - doesn't have to be everyone's. Thanks for clarifying the doggy door thing.

Guest betheab199

Guess I never thought to interview my vets. I would never dream of asking them a question like that.

I commend you for rescuing her! I'm sure you will figure out the best thing to do. It is true for many greyhounds, they spend many hours sleeping, so she may be pretty happy while you are off in the clinic.

Edited by betheab199

So glad you didn't let Ari just be tossed aside when the school was finished with her.

Ari's owner wrote that she'd been there longer than any other blood donor, and that they'd been trying to find a home for her for a year. That doesn't sound like being 'tossed aside' to me. Now the question of why help wasn't sought from an adoption group is a good one. It is certainly possible that the people directly in charge of the blood donor program have no connections and no knowledge of the greyhound adoption network. And this is a situation that could be remedied.

There may also be issues with red tape involved in rehoming dogs through the vet school. They tend to try to keep these situations very low profile, to avoid running into difficulties with animal rights activists. If they are unfamiliar with greyhound adoption groups, they may be reluctant to turn to them for help. I'm sure there are also adoption groups that strongly disapprove of blood donor programs like this and could potentially jeopardize the program if they were brought in.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I suspect no one here, including myself, knows what their vet's lives were like while they were in vet school so to say that they wouldn't choose their vet given what they know about the OP's schedule, seemed unnecessary.

One thing I have not seen mentioned (forgive me if I've missed it) is that Ari is now an only hound, which she may not have ever been. This may be the the biggest contributor to her anxiety and in more cases than not, you can work this out. :thumbs-up It can be a huge adjustment for some dogs to go from the track where they live amongst their hound friends, then in Ari's case where she was (I assume, and I try not to do that but here it seems logical) in the company of other dogs at the donor bank, to her new home where she is the only hound. There is tons of info on this board about dealing with SA. Leaving a radio on a quiet station may be all that she needs to reassure her and help her settle. I believe your heart is in the right place and I wish you the very best. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

i had YEARS of my dog pooping and peeing all over my house and having anxiety attacks. i stuck it out and got to have 8 years with the most wonderful dog i have ever known.

if i had a dog whos only problem was pacing and whining....well i guess id put them on doggy prozac for a few months to help them calm down to the point where i could do basic obidience training to give the dog some confidence.

i really hope that they teach basic solutions like that in vet school. its a pretty common solution to anxiety in dogs.

greyhounds are dogs that slowly unfold. they "blossom". they have never been pets before or encountered most things in life. they need time.

if i had a dog whos only problem was pacing and whining....well i guess id put them on doggy prozac for a few months to help them calm down to the point where i could do basic obidience training to give the dog some confidence.

While anti-anxiety meds like Prozac can be very helpful if used appropriately in certain cases, I wouldn't jump to using medications in a dog who is pacing and whining while she's adjusting to a new home. And while obedience training can help by building the bond and providing the dog with some structure, sometimes doing too much and placing too many demands on the dog while they are trying to get settled in can even make things worse. Sometimes, simply giving the dog a consistent routine, and the space and time to adjust and figure things out is all that is needed.

As rallyp wrote in an earlier response: "It's interesting, whenever there's a dog, particularly a new dog who's being put into a brand new environment, that exhibits behavioral issues, we try all kinds of things to try to get that dog back on track. I think the thing we forget is that one of the biggest factors in most dogs improving is the simple passing of time. It's during the passing of time that the dog is figuring things out, feeling safer, more confident, as it finally has a chance to understand who things work in its new world."

Sounds like this may be the case with Ari. To the OP, how are things going?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest MnMDogs

Just to add, Mork had issues. Big issues, and I can honestly say I didn't like him much for about a year (I think the feeling was mutual). But like rally said, time does wonders...I've now had Mork for 7.5 years, and I can't imagine not having shared my life with him. Is he easy? Hell no, at 12+, he still is my special big guy. But I'm so glad I never gave up.

Also, I got my first grey alone and worked full time. She was home alone with no bathroom break for 10 hours a day, then the same was true for Mork when I added him. They were fine, they adapted to my schedule and were just fine (well mork was mork). Now I work from home 80% of the time and they're all used to that, so we certainly wouldn't subject them to 10 hours without a potty break... As I type this my problem child has me pinned to the couch demanding attention as only he can do.

If you want it to work, it will. Best of luck to you.

Guest PhillyPups

Guess I never thought to interview my vets. I would never dream of asking them a question like that.

I commend you for rescuing her! I'm sure you will figure out the best thing to do. It is true for many greyhounds, they spend many hours sleeping, so she may be pretty happy while you are off in the clinic.

I ask the same questions of my vets that I asked adopters either on the written applications or in interviews (returning pets is a standard questions.)

Guest Arielle

Sorry for the lack of response, but I just wanted to take some time to step back and see how things go. For the most part, Ari has been a dream. I had exams this week, which meant that things were especially crazy, and she was content to just chill in my room with me while I studied. The only problem is that yesterday the weather went down to the low twenties and it snowed, so we couldn't take our usual walk. Ari was a lot more whiny than usual, which I assume is because she didn't get any exercise and I certainly don't blame her. It's so hard to entertain her indoors though, because she isn't particularly fond of toys. We have a fenced in backyard and so I went out with her and tried to get her to do some zoomies, but she would have none of it. I guess she just isn't a fan of the cold. Any suggestions for exercising a dog when you can't go outside?

My other question is about bed sores. When I first got Ari, she was covered in them and all but one on her elbow have gone away. I just noticed one that popped up on her lower hind leg that looks kind of nasty. Is this because her bed isn't fluffy enough, or is she not getting enough exercise?

Some good news. In August when my lease is up, I've arranged to move n with one of my vet school friends. She has a boxer whom Ari absolutely LOVES. I know it's a long time away still, but at least next year she will have some company while I'm at school :) My current living situation unfortunately has a one dog maximum rule.

Thanks for the replies!