Menengitis?

Girlie has been on Methocarbomal for 4 months and doing well for uncontrolled shaking in her back legs. She does not have LS. This week she has fallen twice, once at my sisters which terrified her and again here -- and the terrier went into her which was even more terrifying.

The problem now seems to have spread to her front legs. Three out of 4 paws she doesn't know if she is stepping on or knuckling under. They did a radiograph which mostly showed a bunch of arthritis in her spine, but no tumor or disc problems other than a bit of usual wear and tear. Her temp was 103 and he was concerned about that. He said that seemed past stress induced panting fever. He is thinking she may have sterile menengitis and put her on a BIG dose of pred for 2 weeks.

I know nothing about menengitis. Help?

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Pam, meninges are a couple layers of tissue covering the brain. Meningitis = inflammation of one or more of those. Sterile = vet thinks it isn't viral, isn't bacterial, but rather "just because" or "who knows why?"

Sending prayers for sweet girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My vet had a consult with a neurologist at OSU today about her.

The neurologist did not have much more to offer other than all the things we have already been over- but, I will tell what I was told. First, greyhounds are predisposed to cervical (neck) intervertebral disc disease (IVDD). If this was the case, she would have responded well to prednisone and also, cervical IVDD should not present with signs of trembling. Second, the spondylosis (basically, arthritis of the spine) is not severe enough to cause the signs we are seeing. Even with severe spondylosis, trembling/tremoring is not seen. Third, we must think about tick-borne diseases. Well, she tested negative for that. The last two things I am going to mention are probably the most likely. The neurologist recommended adding Clindamycin. Basically, we're probably talking about meningitis: either sterile meningitis or infectious meningitis. We currently are treating for sterile meningitis.

The last differential diagnosis is neoplasia (cancer). The type of cancer that would cause the tremoring is cancer of the cerebellum. This would present itself mostly as intentional tremors. Intentional tremors occur when she would try to focus such as eating food, drinking water, going up and down the stairs= basically focusing on fine motor movements.

The last option is unlikely as the severe tremors do not seem to happen when she is concentrating on things.

She is on 40 mg of pred twice a day with the expected results. She peed an ocean on my brand new couch the other night, probably while she was asleep. Couldn't have peed in my bed or her closet with waterproof linings. :( The couch wil now be waterproofed and I'll start a new thread about damage control on it.

He's said from the beginning it has something to do with the sheath on her spine...

Meninges cover the spinal cord as well. Poor girlie. And poor you as well. Sorry about the sofa accident. Has the pred helped with the symptoms you are trying to treat?

Meninges cover the spinal cord as well. Poor girlie. And poor you as well. Sorry about the sofa accident. Has the pred helped with the symptoms you are trying to treat?

Not that I can tell. She still trembles and splays out. I'm getting very upset and worried. Vet said give the pred at least another week (we'll be at one week tomorrow). She will be 11 in a couple of weeks.

Edited by Hubcitypam

I'm sorry for your girl. I'm sure it is very difficult for both of you. But, as an aside, I have the Orvis waterproof/scratchproof bed cover on my couch. I got it at the outlet store, and it really works. I spilled a whole glass of soda on myself and it, and the soda just puddled up. The cover is 2 layers: The top layer feels and looks like fine-wale cord, and it is backed with a sheeting-type fabric. I'm sure the top is somehow made of plastic, but it truly feels like fabric. The only drawback is it is very heavy--not in thickness, but in weight. I have a queen, and it covers my couch, but not quite long enough to cover the arms. If I had a choice, I would have gotten a king... Anyway, just a suggestion...