Someone Please Help Me Out With This....

Guest FrankieWylie

Guest FrankieWylie

All day Magic has been jumping up out of his bed with a growl and running to the door barking. But, not like, "hey, I need to go out." More like he would be barking AT something. Earlier today, we took him out thinking he had to go to the bathroom, no dice. Now, we're just ignoring it. Doesn't matter. It doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason what so ever.

What are the possibilities this could be? It's out of the blue, and REALLY loud!

Guest FrankieWylie

hahaha, all day long? It's just so damn weird....which....perhaps ghosts wouldn't be far fetched. But what, are THEY just now comfortable enough to reveal themselves to the dogs? :confetti <----kinda like a ghost ;)

Guest Ross_a_Roo

Is it possible that he does this when you are at work during the week and since you are off (i'm assuming for the holidays) you 're just now seeing it?

Edited by Ross_a_Roo

Guest FrankieWylie

Nope, he is crated during the day, and I am home a good bit of the day anyhow. We watch them on Skype and he's never done anything similar to this at all :blink:

Guest FrankieWylie

I thought maybe it was because we were ALL home more, and he wanted to go out more to play, pee, sniff, etc. But, that's not it either. There are times he won't go out at all. Times where we get the leash and he turns around and walks to his bed. He will come away from the door when we call him and go lay down.

Part of me thinks it's that damn pony Ella got for Christmas. He didn't like it when he saw it by the tree, and now he knows it's in her room, and will occasionally poke his head in there and bark at it LOL. But, he is doing it with the door closed as well.

Guest Ross_a_Roo

BOL. well, i don't have any other ideas for you. maybe someone else will have dealt with something like that before. Best of luck to the mysterious hound antics! ^_^

Lucy did that once at 4am. I was home alone, and it scared the bejeezuz out of me. Turned out there were four deer grazing in our yard. I couldn't hear them, but she sure could.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Maverick will do this. He will suddenly jump up out of a nice nap, run to the front door, looking out and growling. Scares me half to death every time. It works quite well with door-to-door salesmen, though!

I haven't figured out what sets him off. Could be wind, a branch rubbing on the house, a random squirrel or that he wants to watch me have a heart attack. He only did that repeatedly one evening, though.

Hope it turns out to be nothing!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Neighbours having some kind of work done? Wild animals walking up and down your driveway? Probably something like that.

Even if we don't know what has set them off, if our dogs suddenly bark like that, I always tell them 'good dog!' and then tell them they can go and lie down now. If this is not a dog who barks all day for the sake of it, often, all they want is to know they've made you aware of whatever it is, then they feel their job is done.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Geostar

Oh, he may be telling you something, but, he should obey when you want him to go 'potty'. Please note that you should be his boss, not the other way around! If my greys don't want to go outside, I get their leashes, and that gets their attention. Then, when business has been done, I will give them a treat or praise. Hopefully, this will help.

Esther

Guest FrankieWylie

Thanks y'all. I will pay closer attention to what's going on out there if it happens today. While I don't recall any random work being done, it could very well be other animals. We have two outdoor cats (that he ignores for the most part), but lots of neighborhood animals as well as wildlife in our 'hood.

Esther, he does obey when I want him to do something, and is also very good at telling us what he wants (food, potty, pets, etc). Yesterday was about giving him the chance to tell us what he was trying to say. If I don't HAVE to take him outside, I'm not going to. Too cold for that :lol But, there is no doubt who the HBIC is around here ;)

Is it possible a neighbor got something new for Christmas that he can hear, but you can't? Musical instrument? Computer program? New game? Something mechanical? Music?

Just a thought.

Part of me thinks it's that damn pony Ella got for Christmas. He didn't like it when he saw it by the tree, and now he knows it's in her room, and will occasionally poke his head in there and bark at it LOL. But, he is doing it with the door closed as well.

Maybe he knows the pony is lonely...

B)

Either that or you have a ghost...

:eek

Seriously...he probably hears 'something' outside.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest BlueCrab

Maybe you got a delivery around the holidays (e.g. UPS, FedEx) and now when he hears a similar sounding truck pass by, he thinks someone's coming to the door (to bring him goodies, of course)? Leyland is tuned into the mail truck and will bark any time he hears or detects a similar sounding (or looking) vehicle. Out and about recently in the cargo van he scared the beejeasus out of us when he leapt up and started barking at a stop light. Hmph. Mail truck had pulled up next to us at the light and he heard it. Couldn't see it due to the closed sides of the van, but he knew it was there.

Guest FrankieWylie

Nancy bwahahahahah! Ella does say he is "falling in love" with her. Maybe that's it!

LOL Carolyn!

All of those could possibly be it! However, I think it's the kids!

Behind us, separated by a creek, but visible now that the leaves are all gone, the two houses that butt up against us have kids. They are high pitch squeelers and are outside a lot more right now! When we were just in the backyard playing, both boys, Magic especially, were running to the fence and barking. Both bark as a sign that they want to play with the cutest little butt wag you ever did see. So, that would explain the random day time excitement, but not late in the evening....unless those kids are squealing inside and he can hear it. Which, is highly possibly. When I say those kids are loud....they are LOUD. We have four children, and just one of theirs out does ours combined in the noise department!

Thanks for all the input though. I wouldn't have even thought about it being the squealing from surrounding houses!

Edited by FrankieWylie

He's hearing something you aren't is my guess. That's what sends a couple of mine running for the door barking. I've started turning on th tv and putting the volume up a bit so they don't hear every little sound.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Jackson, our Airedale, does this when Fantasic Mister Fox decides to use our street on his way to wherever urban foxes need to go. :)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

B)

I want to know why there's a pony in the house!!!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

B)

I think it's a toy pony.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

B)

I think it's a toy pony.

You never know. One of my friends/former neighbors really wanted one of these as a house pet:

miniature-horses01.jpg

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.