Alone Training

Guest stacy6344

Guest stacy6344

Ok...as most of you know I've been having issues with Tripp and his crate...mostly that he hates it. :(:( He has destroyed any type of bedding that I put in it. He isn't crated at night and he does wonderfully. No issues there. He will go in his crate willingly, but then he pants and acts very anxious. I've tried Kongs stuffed with everything I can think of...big chew bone things...he shows NO interest in any of it. So we have been going to doggy day care...where he also destroys beds if left in the kennel. :eek:eek So they have been letting him "help" behind the desk and he naps quietly most of the day. But this is not helping with the crate issue.

So...I need advice. I want to try and leave him out. We live in a VERY small studio type guest house. I have an IG that is crated (loves it) in the kitchen area and a Chiweenie that is in the kitchen and then that is gated off. The living area is just one big room. This is where Tripp would be. So this weekend I want to try and leave him out and see what happens. How do I go about starting this?? Do I leave his muzzle on? (which he also isn't fond of and tries to get off). How long do I leave him?? And then we are supposed to go to dinner with friends tomorrow night...so we will be gone for at least three or four hours. What do I do there??? Force him to be in the crate or trust to leave him out for that long??? This is really stressing me out!!! He is perfect in every other way. My husband is nervous to leave him out because he's only 18 months old and he's afraid he will pee on stuff (he hasn't the whole two weeks we've had him) or tear stuff up, but I have to be able to live my life without worrying constantly about Tripp. Uggh!!! Oh, I also bought a DAP diffuser which seems to have no effect at all.

We also started obedience school last night and he did GREAT!!! I was so proud of him!!! There were two lab mix dogs in there that were totally PSYCHO and Tripp just looked at them. He was so calm. Very good boy!!!

So I need ideas/help on this!! I'm driving myself crazy!!

Short term when you have to go out:

I would first dogproof well -- remove anything that could hurt him or anything that would really hurt you if it were damaged. Take him for a looooooooooooong walk (or big play session outdoors if you have a fenced yard). Make sure he gets -1- empty, pottywise, and -2- kinda tired. Assuming other dogs are separated from him, put his kennel muzzle (plastic basket muzzle) on, and leave.

Longer term training:I would first dogproof well -- remove anything that could hurt him or anything that would really hurt you if it were damaged. Take him for a looooooooooooong walk (or big play session outdoors if you have a fenced yard). Make sure he gets -1- empty, pottywise, and -2- kinda tired. Assuming other dogs are separated from him, put his kennel muzzle (plastic basket muzzle) on, walk out the door, and leave the premises for a couple minutes (I used to get in the car and drive a couple blocks away because my loud one could hear me if I just walked next door). Come back, OK to say a mild "hello" but otherwise ignore the dogs, fiddle around in the kitchen or elsewhere for a couple minutes, and leave again for a couple minutes. Repeat a couple times. Then leave for 10 minutes and come back for five. Then leave for 7 and come back for 10. Et cetera. Try to leave 10-12 times over the space of @ 2 hours. Every day you can, do an hour or two of "leaving" practice like that. Most dogs get bored with it pretty quickly, settle down for a nap, and often don't even bother to get up when you get home.

Once you've worked your way up to @ 20 minutes and dog is basically ignoring your shenanigans, you can jump to a couple hours without problems.

I use crates with most dogs but have had a couple that just don't do well in them. So I don't use them for those dogs, except in dire straits like an hour's worth of furniture delivery or workmen leaving the front door open. It isn't worth the nerves (dog's), cleanup (human's), broken teeth (dog's) or worse.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest stacy6344

Short term when you have to go out:

I would first dogproof well -- remove anything that could hurt him or anything that would really hurt you if it were damaged. Take him for a looooooooooooong walk (or big play session outdoors if you have a fenced yard). Make sure he gets -1- empty, pottywise, and -2- kinda tired. Assuming other dogs are separated from him, put his kennel muzzle (plastic basket muzzle) on, and leave.

Longer term training:I would first dogproof well -- remove anything that could hurt him or anything that would really hurt you if it were damaged. Take him for a looooooooooooong walk (or big play session outdoors if you have a fenced yard). Make sure he gets -1- empty, pottywise, and -2- kinda tired. Assuming other dogs are separated from him, put his kennel muzzle (plastic basket muzzle) on, walk out the door, and leave the premises for a couple minutes (I used to get in the car and drive a couple blocks away because my loud one could hear me if I just walked next door). Come back, OK to say a mild "hello" but otherwise ignore the dogs, fiddle around in the kitchen or elsewhere for a couple minutes, and leave again for a couple minutes. Repeat a couple times. Then leave for 10 minutes and come back for five. Then leave for 7 and come back for 10. Et cetera. Try to leave 10-12 times over the space of @ 2 hours. Every day you can, do an hour or two of "leaving" practice like that. Most dogs get bored with it pretty quickly, settle down for a nap, and often don't even bother to get up when you get home.

Once you've worked your way up to @ 20 minutes and dog is basically ignoring your shenanigans, you can jump to a couple hours without problems.

I use crates with most dogs but have had a couple that just don't do well in them. So I don't use them for those dogs, except in dire straits like an hour's worth of furniture delivery or workmen leaving the front door open. It isn't worth the nerves (dog's), cleanup (human's), broken teeth (dog's) or worse.

Thank you! I will start that this weekend.

So my immediate question is about tomorrow night when we are supposed to go to dinner. Do I just force him to be in his crate for four hours while we're gone?? Obviously four hours out in the house might be way too much for the first weekend of doing this.

Guest Tiptons_Mom

With Tipton, he didn't like his crate much either. He would howl and bark for hours while we were gone. He didn't destroy anything chew on the crate to get out or anything but he was going potty in the crate. (What a mess to come home to, UGH).

He too would sleep like an angel in my room at night (baby gate at the door) so I thought the crate was the issue.

I did the "leave him out" experiment and it was a total bust. I muzzled him (for the cat's safety) and gated him down stairs with full run of the kitchen/dining room and living room area and within only 3 hours he had gotten the muzzle off, chewed and busted through both gates, ransacked my bathroom, knocked over a bunch of stuff, chewed by banister...well you get the idea.

At that point I posted on GT for help.

(sorry don't remember who to credit) gave me the idea to play the crate game with him. I know it sounds silly, and he looked at me as though I was nuts when I started, but we play this game to make him associate good things with his crate.

I take a treat of choice (hotdog slices work great)and stand in front of the crate and in a silly voice I say "kennel" and toss in a treat. He goes in to get it and I praise and treat him again while in the crate sometimes closing the gate. I do this over and over till the hot dog is gone. I did this for an entire weekend, several times per day and now when I say "Kennel" is will go in on command (for the most part ;)

I still do this at least once per night, sometimes just praising like crazy with no treat. He seems to really enjoy the game and it keeps the association that the crate = good things.

I did work on alone training as well pretty intensely for almost a week at the same time, and the results are amazing.

It was a ton of work, but I can't believe what a change it made.

I wish you luck, it will get better.

If he's fussing in his crate, I'd get him worn out and empty before you have to leave, put his muzzle on, leave him in the room you described, and go. Nice if you have a chance to practice by getting him worn out/empty and leaving him that way for just an hour.

I'm sure others will have advice for you, too, and some of it may be different. I'm pretty confident in my dogproofing abilities, and that plus a kennel muzzle goes a long way toward preventing household/dog damage in most cases. And I personally would rather clean up a nervous accident from the carpet than have to clean the dog, the crate, the crate bedding, the wall next to the crate, the rug under the crate, etc. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest stacy6344

With Tipton, he didn't like his crate much either. He would howl and bark for hours while we were gone. He didn't destroy anything chew on the crate to get out or anything but he was going potty in the crate. (What a mess to come home to, UGH).

He too would sleep like an angel in my room at night (baby gate at the door) so I thought the crate was the issue.

I did the "leave him out" experiment and it was a total bust. I muzzled him (for the cat's safety) and gated him down stairs with full run of the kitchen/dining room and living room area and within only 3 hours he had gotten the muzzle off, chewed and busted through both gates, ransacked my bathroom, knocked over a bunch of stuff, chewed by banister...well you get the idea.

(sorry don't remember who to credit) gave me the idea to play the crate game with him. I know it sounds silly, and he looked at me as though I was nuts when I started, but we play this game to make him associate good things with his crate.

I take a treat of choice (hotdog slices work great)and stand in front of the crate and in a silly voice I say "kennel" and toss in a treat. He goes in to get it and I praise and treat him again while in the crate sometimes closing the gate. I do this over and over till the hot dog is gone. I did this for an entire weekend, several times per day and now when I say "Kennel" is will go in on command (for the most part ;)

I still do this at least once per night, sometimes just praising like crazy with no treat. He seems to really enjoy the game and it keeps the association that the crate = good things.

I did work on alone training as well pretty intensely for almost a week at the same time, and the results are amazing.

I'm going to try that this weekend. He will go in the crate fine. I say "crate" and he goes in. It's when he's in there that is the problem. He pants and gets all anxious. And I can't put any bedding in there because he shreds it. I'm really stressing over this. He can't go to daycare forever. And I have to be able to have a life. I'm wondering if I got in over my head.

Perhaps a long walk before leaving, radio on, no big deal when you are leaving.

Is it possible for someone to come and check and take him out for a walk, while you are gone? It would break the time up for him and you guys could have a relaxing dinner.

good luck and it is nerve racking until the routine settles.

Guest stacy6344

Perhaps a long walk before leaving, radio on, no big deal when you are leaving.

Is it possible for someone to come and check and take him out for a walk, while you are gone? It would break the time up for him and you guys could have a relaxing dinner.

good luck and it is nerve racking until the routine settles.

I can take him for a walk/or play in the yard. Should I leave his muzzle on?? He constantly tries to get it off when he has it on. My dad is next door so I could have him come and check on him and take him to potty. Is that too long to leave him out for his first try?? I'm going to try it tonight too for a few minutes here and there. Go next door to my dad's and then come back.

Girl my nerves are shot. Seriously. I spend more time worrying about the dog while I'm at work than working!!! I gotta get something settled...quickly!

Seriously he is going to be fine! Try the out of the crate stuff. Leave the muzzle on for now. Too bad if he wants it off. lol.gif Leave and go to the corner store or something and honestly when you get back in about 20 mins you will know how he is doing. He more than likely will settle. If he has proved himself in that space of time then leave him many times tomorrow, exercise him, and then go to your event. Worry cause you will, and I bet he will be sound asleep. You are not in over your head. This is still early days for him and he is still learning to be a reliable household member. I know you get sick of hearing it but you need patience and a longer view point. he will be a great pet and it is your job to teach him to be. It takes time especially for the youngsters. You will both get there and yes there will missteps along the way. If you expect that to be so, you will stress less and be thrilled when they don't happen. Good luck.smile.gif

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I don't have any training advice, but I will share my experiences with our first two greys who came directly from the track kennel.

Celeste was our first. We crated her while we were at work for about the first 4 months. Then, one day, she ran upstairs after her morning walk instead of into the family room where the crate was. DH decided to leave her out. She was alone in the house for 8+ hours. No problems whatsoever. She never went back to using the crate.

Darcy came next - 8 months after was adopted Celeste. We crated her the first day we went to work. She completely tore apart the bedding inside the crate. The same thing happened Day 2. I think what stressed her out the most was knowing there was another dog in the house that she couldn't see or be with. Celeste had access to the room she was crated in, but apparently didn't want to be in there with her. So, we didn't crate on Day 3. Other than some paper shredding (she brought magazines to her dog bed and created her own pile of shredded paper around her bed), there was no damage or inappropriate pottying in the house. Next day, we made sure to dog proof the house better! We've never had another problem.

Good luck!

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I also suggest this type of crate training. We've had Timo for almost two years, and we still do this daily to reinforce how great the crate is. You want him to associate it as his happy, safe place. Timo didn't love the crate when we first got him either. Now he absolutely LOVES the darn thing. He goes in there all the time now, begging for a treat. And, he gets one (I just use his regular kibble as his treat). He also goes in there to sleep during the day with the door wide open. And, when we say "get in the crate," he practically bowls us over cause he can't get in there fast enough, anticipating his treat.

Lots of luck!

Guest stacy6344

Well I came home tonight and got settled and everyone ate. Then I put his muzzle on and picked everything up and put my IG in his crate and Sadie in the kitchen and gave Tripp his Kong and went to the barn to feed. Funny...Sadie was the only one barking!!! I could hear Tripp kind of walking around and clunking around but then...quiet. I was gone about 10 minutes. Came in and he was laying on the bed just looking at me. :colgate So we're going to relax for a bit then I'm going to do it again and go next door for a few minutes.

My nerves are shot!

:blink:

Well I came home tonight and got settled and everyone ate. Then I put his muzzle on and picked everything up and put my IG in his crate and Sadie in the kitchen and gave Tripp his Kong and went to the barn to feed. Funny...Sadie was the only one barking!!! I could hear Tripp kind of walking around and clunking around but then...quiet. I was gone about 10 minutes. Came in and he was laying on the bed just looking at me. :colgate So we're going to relax for a bit then I'm going to do it again and go next door for a few minutes.

My nerves are shot!

:blink:

Tripp will be FINE!!

Sounds like he's already doing quite well.

Just keep doing these short outings and he'll very quickly figure it out.

Especially with the two other dogs there.

Ruby was a bounce that had a 'bad' crate experience, and we did not set the crate up for her...she's been wonderful.

We are now fostering a dog who was returned to our Group due to messing and barking in his crate.

We did not even set up our crate for him when he arrived here Sunday morning, and he has been perfectly fine.

The first time he was left unsupervised was Monday afternoon - barely 24 hours after he arrived.

DH put a belly band on him and babygated him in the mud room with Nixon (Mr Calmness.)

When I came home 3 hours later, all dogs had been sleeping peacefully...and the belly band was dry.

We have not used it since.

Some dogs just do not like the crate...

Now..breathe.....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

You can do it, Stacy! Just keep going ;) Pretty soon he'll be all settled and you can stop worrying.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest stacy6344

Thank you guys!!! All the experience that everyone has really helps!!! He really is a good boy. And I love when he comes up and puts his head in my chest and snuggles! :wub: :wub: We will work on this most all day tomorrow too.

Guest mbfilby

You've already got great advice, I just want to add that it is totally possible that your Tripp just hates the crate. Our Myka can't be crated, she does horrible.

Guest jbbuzby

DEFINITELY keep the muzzle on. It will keep him safe, as well as your household items.

Exercise the heck out of him before you leave him, even if you walk him/run him for an hour.

Get the book, "I'll Be Home Soon!" Even if he doesn't have SA, it is a lifesaver at the concept of alone training.

I don't know if you got any belly bands for Tripp when you adopted him, but if you're concerned about him marking you might want to put one on. Just tell your dad to take it off if he takes Tripp outside!

(BTW, I'm pretty close to you, up in Quitman - small world :) )

Lin, with Nick the Greyhound
Missing my girls Nadia, Tallulah, Cinderella, and my heart-dog Alexa, and my precious boys Twister, Loki, and Kevin

Guest stacy6344

I don't know if you got any belly bands for Tripp when you adopted him, but if you're concerned about him marking you might want to put one on. Just tell your dad to take it off if he takes Tripp outside!

(BTW, I'm pretty close to you, up in Quitman - small world :) )

We go through Quitman all the time!!! You are very close!! We should do a play date some time!!

And yes, I do have a belly band for Tripp...he has a tendency to pull it off if I'm not here though.

Just a cue for you- I realized that Lou had matured and didn't want to be gated in the kitchen when I came home from work and found the kitchen counters eaten up!

:lol:eek

So, I got the hint (and new kitchen counters) and Lou had the rein of the house, with bedroom doors closed, radio on, walk before I went out, calm going out and calm returning. No destruction, but remember, routine, routine, routine and that is what your baby will expect.

Since your father is next door, you have an ideal situation for letting him out for a potty break, a treat and then leaving.

good luck and keep us postedl

Guest stacy6344

We all went over to my dad's for breakfast this morning and went through the routine of putting everyone in their "spots" and then muzzled him and left. He hops up on the bed and looks out the window. He howled for a minute, but I think just because my little Chihuahua was yipping in the kitchen. But we were gone for about 30 minutes. Came back and he was fine. So now I'm wondering if I can trust him out while I do grocery shopping...probably about 1 1/2 hours...Thoughts?

I did that jump - 20 minutes to 1.5 hours with Brandi. I walked, fed, went to the gym Came back, the toilet brush had been placed at the bottom of the stairs and my husband's shaving brush was in her bed. Otherwise all was well. For me the big jump was one from 4 to 5 hours alone. That was more difficult, but was alleviated with the arrival of Paige.

Guest stacy6344

So how did it go???

I left him in his crate. He was ok. Not happy. I know he hears us drive up so I don't know how he was the whole time we were gone. I need to get a camera hooked up. But he was safe and that's the most important thing. I think I'm going to look into getting him on an anti-anxiety med for a time until he can settle in good.

Hang in there!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.