Bone Spur In Front Shoulder

Guest JoyceJ

Just looking for input--this is not one of my greys. He's a nine year who had a pulled muscle; the vet also found a bone spur in his front shoulder. He's been on meds (Tramadol 2x daily and Metacam at night) for about 3 weeks. He also had a series of cold laser treatments that seemed to leave him more painful. I know muscle injuries may take 6-8 weeks to heal but he's still limping badly.

We're looking at adding Canine Corta-Flx. :unsure

http://www.cortaflex.com/caninecortaflx.html

Any other suggestions?

Many Thanks!

Ouch! A pulled muscle will heal in time but bone spurs don't heal. One of my boys had a real problem with bone spurs and what did help him along with meds was acupuncture. I didn't believe in it, but must admit, it really did help him.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

FWIW IMO it is hard to beat Fresh Factors & Advanced Hip & Joint tabs. I have also recently discovered Duralactin which has worked wonderfully on Momma's neck thing recently and have also started her on DGP tabs which also have a most excellent track record for pain/inflammation etc. I have also used high quality yucca on tough cases in the past and it worked quite well also but it is not for constant long term use. Traumeel is another one I have found to be very good at relieving inflammation and pain and Iknow it works becasue I have used it myself. And I second the accupuncture recommendation-it works great too and we also use it.

Edited by racindog

FWIW IMO it is hard to beat Fresh Factors & Advanced Hip & Joint tabs. I have also recently discovered Duralactin which has worked wonderfully on Momma's neck thing recently and have also started her on DGP tabs which also have a most excellent track record for pain/inflammation etc. I have also used high quality yucca on tough cases in the past and it worked quite well also but it is not for constant long term use. Traumeel is another one I have found to be very good at relieving inflammation and pain and Iknow it works becasue I have used it myself. And I second the accupuncture recommendation-it works great too and we also use it.

Sounds like we may need to try several different things. When you say that yucca is not for constant long term use, do you mean there are side effects and he should be closely monitored (special bloodwork)? Will do some reading and may have more questions, if that's OK.

Ouch! A pulled muscle will heal in time but bone spurs don't heal. One of my boys had a real problem with bone spurs and what did help him along with meds was acupuncture. I didn't believe in it, but must admit, it really did help him.

Thanks!

On the xray was it a bone spur growing (attached) from scapula or humerus? Gracie has a calcification in the soft tissue of her shoulder. She doesn't run as hard as she used to now that she's older but if it flares up bad she gets some tramadol. We frequently give her Fresh Factors as well.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

One of my horses developed small bone spurs in his hocks.

These can be very painful.

We have had very good results with HA/Steroid injections directly into the joint... about once a year works fine for him.

What options did the vet give you?

Can the spur be removed?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

On the xray was it a bone spur growing (attached) from scapula or humerus? Gracie has a calcification in the soft tissue of her shoulder. She doesn't run as hard as she used to now that she's older but if it flares up bad she gets some tramadol. We frequently give her Fresh Factors as well.

I have not seen the xrays as I was not fostering him when they were done. Will know more next week as he has another vet visit scheduled for Friday. Gracie's sounds painful too.

Betsy has a few spurs. She's on pain meds (Metacam steroids and Tramadol) long term. We tried Cartrophen (Product Info) and laser, and neither helped. She's 13; the symptoms showed up about a year ago, when she had just turned 12.

Edited because I mis-identified Betsy's meds.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Years ago my bridge baby, Brandi, had a bone spur and one vet wanted to operate. Our holistic vet said let's try prolotherapy, an injection, six sessions. It has been so many years since Brandi had the prolotherapy that I can't remember what was in the solution. She was so lame before the treatment she could hardly walk down the driveway. We saw a difference after two treatments. It worked on her and she never limped again. I think the website is www.getprolo.com or perhaps goggle it. Humans have had prolotherapy too which is where our holistic vet got the idea. His knees were hurting from so many years of running that he did the prolotherapy himself.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg