Neighbors Chihuahua Charged Us!

Guest Iluvmygrey

Guest Iluvmygrey

Last night we were in the dog area of our condo, a fenced in area. My grey was off leash, I saw the neighbor coming with her 5 pound chichuahua and I leased my grey, she enter the fenced in area before I could get out and let him off the leash. He charged us and my grey was scared to death (she is not found of any dogs getting near her) and I was trying to keep him away and my grey just picked him up by the back of the neck and swung him like a ragdoll. I screamed "drop it" and somehow he got loose. Thank god the chihuahua is prefectly fine and my nieghbor isn't concerned at all, didn't care! I have explained to the nieghbors before what the greyhound breed is all about and that little dogs can't be around her like that and they just don't seem to get it! How much worst does it have to get before the nieghbors listen and respect our wishes of keeping their dogs on the leash. Suggestions PLEASE!

If your neighbors insist on being morons, you may have to consider muzzling your dog when you are in that area. It'll keep the little "snack sized" dogs safer, and people may think twice when they see your dog looking like Hannibal Lecter. Or find somewhere else to exercise your dog. Document incidents like this, just in case. No one wants to see your dog getting blamed because someone else doesn't bother to control their pup!

Guest Lovey_Hounds

That was a very close call! People with small dogs don't always get the idea of dog manners, some Greyhounds can be around little ones just fine if the little guy is well behaved. you are very lucky that your dog did not kill the little one, until you have worked with your dog to maybe get it used other breeds of dogs i would strongly suggest wearing a basket muzzle when in the dog area that way no small ones become food and your dog will not be put in a situation where it could harm another animal.

If you are in the off leash dog area by your condo you cannot expect people to keep their dogs on leash while your is off leash, the best thing to do is pay close attention and watch if anyone is walking up to the area with a dog and if they are leash your dog quickly and leave if they do start to enter as you are doing this let them know you need to leash your dog before they enter as she is unsure of other dogs and always make sure you have your basket muzzle with you.

Greyhounds CAN live with and be around small dogs but they have to be introduced in an proper manner and taught that other dogs are not for shaking and eating. I would talk to your adoption group and see if they have someone who could help you socialize your dog with other breeds and sizes of dogs. I am currently boarding a shih tzu (7lb of tiny dog) for a friend and i have 2 greyhounds all of them are hanging out in the living room together.

I'd suggest writing them a letter, copy for yourself, then send original U.S. Certified Mail requiring a return receipt signature. If worst case scenario ever happens, at least you'd have proof of warning in writing with their signature receipt. I don't know how much it would help in court, but it's better than the owner conveniently denying previous warning conversations with you! The Chi. is a danger to other dogs and should not be placed in public circumstances.

You might be better off either only using that fenced area when no one else is in it, and standing by the gate to catch smaller dog owners before they try to enter; or sticking with leashed neighborhood walks.

One mention re: muzzles. I agree that muzzling is safer for other smaller animals but loose hounds can still harm a smaller animal with it's legs and muzzle. Please be aware that it isn't completely safe for your dog if she is muzzled in a fenced yard with other larger dogs. If a larger dog went after your hound, your hound could not defend herself.

SOME hounds can learn to be around small (non-aggressive) dogs; however just like some hounds are not cat-safe, it completely depends on the hound's prey drive. Placing hounds in an outside setting can become "game on."

A similar incident happened to two of our leashed hounds during a neighborhood walk last month, but this Chihuahua charged us from being loose in his driveway across the street. When the owners (both present, as they were unloading their car) came to retrieve their aggressively attacking dog, the man's famous last words: "Don't worry, he's all bark and no bite." One of my hounds hasn't been able to take a walk outside yet! We're still nursing puncture wounds on her legs and paw pads!!

There are sprays available to deter other dogs, and many people carry a walking pole.

Edited by 3greytjoys

I carry "Halt" with me every time I am out with my Greys. I have used it 2 times with wonderful results. It sprays an orange stream so you know exactly where it goes. You aim for the muzzle. It does no permanently damage, but will stop a charging dog. I paid about $5.00 and about the same for shipping. I have 3 cans of it and will not hesitate to use it on any size of dog or cat.

I'm sorry, but if it's an off leash area, your neighbor didn't do anything wrong, unless you called over, "Hold on one second--let us leave please" and she let him go anyway.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Iluvmygrey

I'm sorry, but if it's an off leash area, your neighbor didn't do anything wrong, unless you called over, "Hold on one second--let us leave please" and she let him go anyway.

We've told the neighbors over and over please don't come in until we are able to leash her and get out. The chihuahua charges every person and other dogs. She thinks all dogs will get along. When I went over to see her before she said it's fine, he deserved it, he needs to learn manners. She doesn't understand what our dog is capable of, as if last night wasn't enough. The other neighbor drops the leash in the parking lot and yells Roxie (LWD)go say hello ot your friend. We are able to control her since she usually just wants pets from us. We grab the leash and keep her an arms distance away.

Greyhounds CAN live with and be around small dogs but they have to be introduced in an proper manner and taught that other dogs are not for shaking and eating. I would talk to your adoption group and see if they have someone who could help you socialize your dog with other breeds and sizes of dogs.

I think you should say MOST greyhounds can live with and be around small dogs. I have one that we've worked with for years and she still is either afraid of, or hates little dogs, especially the out of control ones.

If the Chihuahua is being aggressive then the neighbors have a problem they need to work on. Sounds like the neighbors know the dog has a problem & they are, foolishly, hoping other people's dogs will do the work for them. If so, the Chihuahua will be the looser in that case. I am sorry the dog & others around him will be the ends effected by the owners' problem.

Going just from your description though it sounds like your hound, no matter how wonderful she is, also has problems. Though certainly it is possible that you may never get her to accept all dogs, it would greatly benefit you all if you could help her feel more comfortable around most other dogs. I would like to politely inquire if you are taking steps to help her with that. If so, you may be setting the efforts back by having her in an off leash area.

Incidents like the Chihuahua & LWD are ones that could clearly stretch limits to the breaking point if she isn't small dog friendly. You may never help her be small dog friendly but you can increase her ability to tolerate them. Things like attention work, conditioning her to turn to you & away from the tormentor at least long enough to give you a better chance to defuse the situation. I am not trying to say the morsel dogs' owners do not share responsibility. They absolutely do. As the saying goes though, you can't fix stupid. They've been warned & simply ignore or cannot really understand. Time to work on the dogs who are smarter & easier to train. :lol The book "Control Unleashed" by Leslie McDevitt has exercises that could really help you.

In the meantime I think 3greytjoys gave some very good advice, "You might be better off either only using that fenced area when no one else is in it, and standing by the gate to catch smaller dog owners before they try to enter; or sticking with leashed neighborhood walks."

Sorry you are in this position. It would be so much easier if the neighbors could buy a clue.

Personally I don't think there is ANYTHING you can do because such people REALLY DON'T CARE about their dog or anyone else's. It is sad the chihuahua and other unfortunates cannot be owned by a caring half ways intelligent owner but sadly many people are very dog ignorant (again becasue they don't care enough to learn diferent) and don't really care about their dogs in the first place. These are the people that dump seniors without so much as a thought after they were family members for years, that let their dogs run loose, that don't provide preventive & health care-and there are many of them. You or your hound cannot and are not responsible in any way for the connsequences of such stupidy and lack of concern on teh part of other pet owners. I have never been able to undrstand why such people go and get a pet to begin with- like the ones who get a dog and chain it to a little house 100 yards out in a field somewhere by itself. Why do such people even get a dog to begin with?

Guest KennelMom

I would never put in writing that my dog or it's breed has the potential to be aggressive. Never ever ever ever ever ever ever would I do that!!!!!! When your dog is in public, you are responsible for it's behavior no matter what warnings you've given out.

I'd either bring some bungie cords and bungee the gate close, so you have a little extra time to gain control of your off leash dog. Or, not use that particular off leash area. Or, have your greyhound muzzled, if there are no other dogs in the area.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Simple solution, similar to the bungee chord. Get a big padlock and lock the gate. When you see her comming, yell "I'll get the lock off in a minute". Go to the gate, ask her to hold her dog back, then take the lock off and leave. I would also tell her that until she gets her dog under control, you are not going to take the lock off the gate to leave. Simple solution...

Guest greysmitten

My girl is normally just fine with little dogs these days.

But my sister has a white chihuahua with mucho attitude. He is assertive and usually ends up being pretty much the top dog in canine social situations, despite his size.

Once, my grey suddenly darted for him. The chi did a few high-speed log rolls down a dirt mound (picture it - it looked as hilarious as it sounds) and my grey started to chew on him. Luckily, we snapped her out of it right away and Pedro was just fine.

That was the only incident. It's never happened since and Azi generally just ignores Pedro (and other little guys).

This interests me because I'm dealing with two greys who are still figuring out other dog breeds. Both have been assessed as fine with small dogs but if the other dogs rush at them (as so many of them do!), one goes backwards at speed, and the other forwards. We're making progress though - this morning we were charged by a horrible little mop on legs which was off-leash (and crossed the road to get to us). After an initial freeze, I tugged the leashes and said 'let's go' and both of mine followed me. There was some barking and 'singing' and some pulling back, especially when it started to follow us, but generally, they did as they were told. Clever girls!

Of course the mop's owner was nowhere in sight and was calling the dog back - it ignored her. :rolleyes:

Let's see, you tell your neighbors that their small dogs are in potential danger around yours, you write a letter explaining that your dog may get aggressive if charged, and then you muzzle your dog whenever you have her in the area...I see you setting yourself up for at best animal control visits and at worst a lawsuit. Maybe, for your own protection, you could write a note to the property management that says "I realize the area is fenced and dogs can be off leash, but there really needs a requirement that the dog be under control at all times, and this particular dog is a behavior problem." Then back it up with dates of incidents. Maybe a note to the owner explaning the importance of good dog manners and training, and that her dog will be so much happier blah blah blah if he has more structure, without setting your dog up as the aggressor.

I would avoid the area altogether, to prevent another run-in, especially if that's how your dog reacts.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest Iluvmygrey

Let's see, you tell your neighbors that their small dogs are in potential danger around yours, you write a letter explaining that your dog may get aggressive if charged, and then you muzzle your dog whenever you have her in the area...I see you setting yourself up for at best animal control visits and at worst a lawsuit. Maybe, for your own protection, you could write a note to the property management that says "I realize the area is fenced and dogs can be off leash, but there really needs a requirement that the dog be under control at all times, and this particular dog is a behavior problem." Then back it up with dates of incidents. Maybe a note to the owner explaning the importance of good dog manners and training, and that her dog will be so much happier blah blah blah if he has more structure, without setting your dog up as the aggressor.

I would avoid the area altogether, to prevent another run-in, especially if that's how your dog reacts.

We've had a problem for the past 12 years I've lived here with dogs off the leash. Every now and then someone writes a letter to the board and we send out a reminder. (Yes, I'm on the board and so is the chich. and the leash droper - he's the president.) Don't get me wrong we are all animal lovers here, they are just not the best behaved and lack some human common sense. (The little guys lost part of his ear from a fight with his cat brother. She just doesn't have the patience to train the dog correctly.) Funny though nobody follows the leash rule, but everyone follows the dogs can only use the bathroom in the fenced in area. Go figure! But anyway we are signed up for our first obidience class tomorrow with a professional trainer, not petsmart stuff. So will see how this goes, then maybe I can train the other dog.

The Chi. is a danger to other dogs and should not be placed in public circumstances.

I should have added that it would be advisable to contact an attorney first re: specific content before (or if) sending a letter. The letter suggestion was meant only as proof of common citizen request for the Chihuahua owner/s to "not allow their aggressive Chihuahua off leash in an occupied public space." (Their unleashed, aggressive Chihuahua could charge/attack ANY adult person, child, or dog.) Animal Control letters warn to keep a nuisance dog under control for "general public safety." Again, safest to contact an attorney first re: proper content if sending a letter. Understandable if you don't want to send a letter in your case with a close neighbor and peer, but keeping date records of the Chihuahua's attack is good. It is helpful to keep a list of other people who have verbally complained to the Chihuahua owner about his dog being a dangerous nuisance.

Personally, I'd check local laws first re: other peoples' suggestions of temporarily locking, or bungee binding the gate of a common "public" fenced area. That is illegal in my region. I imagine it would be the same in common public areas of a condo community. One person doesn't "own" common space, even temporarily.

Understandably, all residents of the condo need to feel safe enough to potty their dogs, yourself included. Secondarily, maybe your local Greyhound adoption group could direct you to an "all muzzled Greyhound play group" so your hound could run in a fenced enclosure with other Greyhounds periodically. (Unless your hound has a racing injury preventing running.)

One quick mention re: obedience classes. Good idea to work in that controlled setting. Greyhounds are extremely sensitive, and most are very smart. I find they respond well to very gentle and positive training methods that build from their natural movements (instead of forcing them into positions). I wouldn't count on being able to do much with that Chihuahua, especially if the owner is unwilling to cooperate.

Good luck with everything. :)

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Who cares if it is legal to lock the gate? Its sure not legal to allow a known agressive dog off-leash around other dogs, but the owner still does. What could possibly happen to someone for locking a gate and taking 30 seconds to remove the lock? Do you think the police would even respond to such a call? Lawsuit, for what damages? Just nothing anyone is going to do about a lock on a gate when the person is there to remove it within a short period of time.

I know, I know... of course the aggressive dog is more of an illegal risk, like an aggressive dog at a dog park, etc. I agree that any legal repercussions would be slim to none, but she's also on the condo's Board (with the Chihuahua owner), so her actions set an example for others. She might want to consider if locking people out of the yard, albeit briefly, would be acceptable for other residents to do the same each time they take their own dogs in the potty yard. Maybe so, or maybe not.

People don't know how others will react to being "locked out" of their only "approved" dog potty yard, even for a brief time. Accidents happen, a key could be dropped and lost anywhere in the yard for much longer than the 20 seconds it would normally take to unlock a gate. Even though OP's dog acted in self-defense from being provoked, she might not want to put herself in a situation to build escalated strife with the Chihuahua owner or with other resident dog owners by locking the gate.

I was just sharing my experience. We considered securing a gate for a brief muzzled Greyhound play date in a public common fenced area for the same reason, just long enough to quickly gather hounds to exit. I was informed by the "City" that it's illegal to lock/secure a gate to a public fenced enclosure. It is also considered a fire hazard.

The OP has been offered a lot of information from many posters, and is going to make her own decisions anyway. I hope she's able to work out a successful solution to keep her hound, and other resident dogs safe.

I understand if you are referring to a padlock. Bungee cords though are not locking people out. It is just making the gate more secure, also giving her more time to leash her dog & prepare for the possible onslaught.

I might go a bit further if it were me & add bells so that if I was distracted I would have a better chance of hearing someone trying to get in. Come to think of it if OP trained her dog to run to her at the sound of those bells then anytime someone was trying to get into the gate her dog would head straight to her.