Costco Salmon Food

Guest kar

has anyone tried this. my male has lost his interest in his food since my female went on hills kidney diet. he wants her food. any one know what the base meat is for hills kidney diet i can't seem to find it on the bag?

We recently used it with a foster "bounce" dog that had seizures, whose vet recommended a grain free diet. We switched him from the Blue salmon to the Costco one and he did great on it. All our dogs wanted to eat it!

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

My dogs have been on it for a while. They all like it and Dylan who has a sensitive digestive tract does well on it.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I switched mine from TOTW to Costco's Nature's Domain salmon, they like it ( they like everything though), and same small, firm poops as with TOTW. No issues, so we'll stick with it.

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Guest jbbuzby

No problems with this food, though Ferguson definitely prefers others to it. Stools were fine on it, excellent price that can't be beat for what it is. I mix this now with Dogswell Vitality dry so we get the best of both worlds.

Yet, if my costco started to carry the turkey formula, I'd probably switch over to that for his personal preference.

I know a large number of Greyhounds who are on this food and all of them not only love it, but none of them have had any problems with it.

Mine included.

I recently transitioned mine from TOTW Pacific Stream to the Costco version (Nature's Domain) without any difficulty at all. All of mine do better on non-poultry foods. They greyhounds now get really itchy on chicken/turkey based foods and the galgo has less stomach upset since I switched him.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

has anyone tried this. my male has lost his interest in his food since my female went on hills kidney diet. he wants her food. any one know what the base meat is for hills kidney diet i can't seem to find it on the bag?

It doesn't really have much meat in it - just some pork fat and some chicken liver flavor (whatever that means).

A friend took in her mother's elderly non-greyhound who is in early stage kidney disease at 14 years old. The dog wasn't doing well so she took her to a vet who's also canine nutritionist, and the vet felt that there wasn't enough protein in this food for this particular dog. She's doing well on another food that's chicken based and higher protein. Her lab values haven't changed, which is good. I can't remember what food the vet recommended, but it's working well so far.

Ingredients for k/d Renal Health:

Brewers Rice, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Powdered Cellulose, Calcium Carbonate, Dried Beet Pulp, L-Lysine, Potassium Chloride, Potassium Citrate, Choline Chloride, Iodized Salt, Calcium Sulfate, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Vitamin E Supplement, L-Threonine, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Tryptophan, Magnesium Oxide, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols & Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest happygrey

We feed this to two of ours, while one of our 3 (Mr. Uber Sensitive Tummy) still gets TOTW Pacific.

Our two who eat the Costco like it and do fine on it, but at the "back end" I find that nothing beats TOTW. Costco is ok in that regard but not the gold standard that is TOTW Pacific. ;)

Guest sirsmom

If your male really likes the k/d flavor, there are other science diet regular foods that probably taste about the same. It's probably the pork fat he is attracted to.

I switched mine from TOTW to Costco Natures Domain, and I think their coats look even better and you cannot beat the price

I switched to this too but from the Costco lamb & rice & noticed a big difference in Trolley coat. She loves it too! :)

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

It doesn't really have much meat in it - just some pork fat and some chicken liver flavor (whatever that means).

A friend took in her mother's elderly non-greyhound who is in early stage kidney disease at 14 years old. The dog wasn't doing well so she took her to a vet who's also canine nutritionist, and the vet felt that there wasn't enough protein in this food for this particular dog. She's doing well on another food that's chicken based and higher protein. Her lab values haven't changed, which is good. I can't remember what food the vet recommended, but it's working well so far.

Brewers Rice, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Powdered Cellulose, Calcium Carbonate, Dried Beet Pulp, L-Lysine, Potassium Chloride, Potassium Citrate, Choline Chloride, Iodized Salt, Calcium Sulfate, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Vitamin E Supplement, L-Threonine, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Tryptophan, Magnesium Oxide, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols & Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

it funny my female always seems so hungry since she's on it. she goes for a urine in about two months. maybe i'll talk to the vet about other options

the k/d food has NO meat in it, all fillers, from the rice to the corn and a little fat for flavoring. There are better foods out there for the special diets vs what the vets may recommend. You have to remember the vets recommend it b/c they sell it in their office and many vets don't have a lot of education in nutrition for the animals. The vet I go to that knows nutrition will not sell that in her office.

I have my girls on grain free diets and there are a lot of good kibbles out there. I will have to take a look at the costco salmon, my dogs love fish, they are in my face when I'm eating it! Tonight I'm making myself lobster tail and don't plan on sharing! I'll give them some tuna maybe...I know it doesn't compare but they will get over it.

Kathy

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.

Just my 2 cents--you're going to have people telling you that the Hill's food is not good nutritionally. If your girl is doing well on it, I'd stick with it.

My last dog had a kidney issue, and he did VERY well on the Hill's. He wouldn't eat the canned though, so my vet sold me some Purina N/F, which he liked just fine!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck