Vet's Offices

We have been seeing a vet 30 minutes away for the past couple of years. There is just one vet at the practice. I really like him, he's great with my dogs and is always willing to listen to ideas that I have. His techs are nice ladies. But the clinic is very outdated, he doesn't have a lot of the more advanced equipment that other practices in the area have, and he is not much for surgery beyond simple spay/neuter, lump removal, dentals. With everything that we've had going on here lately, we've had to be referred elsewhere for everything. Lately it is next to impossible to get in to see him...if I'd waited to have him see Ace's leg tumor, we'd still be waiting for a consult, only to have him refer us for the surgery. Because I requested we be referred right away to have it looked at, Ace had surgery last Wednesday and is recovering well.

Further, the receptionist there is an absolute witch. She has been rude to me on several occasions, and she is the one that sets his appointments. When Pinky was limping and I wanted to get her in for X-rays right away because I suspected osteo, she asked Pinky's age. When I told her she is 8, her response was, "well, she's old, they don't live forever you know." :blink: When I wanted Ace seen for the tumor on her leg, she told me that the doctor "just doesn't have time for stuff like that this week." There was an incident previously where she told me I supplied TOO MUCH poop as a stool sample, and when I said "well, I wanted to be sure there was enough," she rolled her eyes and said "if only we could train the humans as well as we train the dogs." I did tell the vet about that one when we were in once and he was not happy. He told me she'd been rude to several people and thanked me for being honest. I haven't told him about this latest rash of rudeness because I haven't even been able to get in to see him.

The practice that did Pinky's amputation and Ace's surgery (and did Sutra's pamidronate infusions) is fabulous. They have a team of front desk staff. They are all super friendly and really care about what is going on with your pet and will bend over backwards to find an appointment time that is convenient. The techs are friendly and knowledgeable. The practice has 5 doctors-one is Dr. Less, who did Pinky's amp and Ace's lumpectomy. He is an ABVP Diplomate. Dr. Thomsen is a GP but also does the chemotherapy. He's also an ABVP Diplomate. Dr. Bahns used to be in practice with our current vet and is super sweet and caring. She did Skimmie's dental for me when I first got him. The other two vets at the practice are also women and they seem very popular with the clients.

They have high tech equipment, a beautiful office (it has been remodeled in the last 5 years or so), and they are about 15 minutes away. They have tons of greyhound clients. One of my friends left our current vet for this practice and her kids see Dr. Bahns.

Writing this all out, the answer is pretty clear-I should just switch to this other practice and never look back. But I feel bad because our current vet himself is a really nice guy. But honestly his receptionist makes me feel like puking every time I call out there to make an appointment. Oh...and the new place has weekday hours until 7pm!

One of my iggies has a drinking and peeing issue. Every time I take him in, it seems he has a mild UTI so we do Clavamox and it's a little better until we stop the Clavamox. I worry there is something else going on here that we're going to need to do additional testing for. And the thought of trying to accomplish this at our current vet makes me feel like screaming because I just don't want to even dial the phone number.

How do I deal with this guilt? I know it's technically a "business decision" and there should be no hard feelings, and I need to do what's best for my pets. Aargh! Words of wisdom will be much appreciated.

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest sweetpea

Obviously (at least to me) you switch, and you write a letter to your old vet detailing what you've written here.

That receptionist is costing him clients, you can't be the only one who's been treated this poorly.

That's his bottom line and his issue to deal with, or not.

I do understand your loyalty, but you've listed a fair amount of reasons why his practice is simply

insufficient for your needs.

Good luck, and if he loses enough clients, he'll have to make a change.

Maybe he's looking to retire soon anyway, and you're doing him a favor. :dunno

Buzzy

You answered your own questions. :lol Seriously, if you think the new vet would be best then switch. If your old vet contacts you and asks why the switch, be honest with him. Sometimes vets don't realize what's going on behind the front desk and there is nothing to feel guilty about.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

If you're looking for absolution, you have it. Switch vets for the sake of yourself and your dogs, and if it makes you feel better send a polite letter thanking your old vet for his service and letting him know, nicely, why you've made the change.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I gave up guilt a long time ago when I realized that doing something to make others not feel bad wasn't taking care of me or my family. In this case, you need to take care of Ace. When it comes to family, they deserve the best.

W :gh_run2 :gh_run2 :gh_runner :gh_runner :walkKC

Kristin, I'm not sure if it's me you're referring to (the friend who made this switch), but I did make it, and felt the same way you do. He's a great vet, so good with every dog I ever had in there--and you know that, for awhile, that was many, many more than just my three. I loved how he was always so excited and interested in learning about new things I'd come across and sharing cool/interesting things he'd learned. Very thoughtful about approaching each dog's problem individually, it seemed, not just slapping out standard protocols.

As great as he is, though, the only reason I was making the longer drive out there was because I thought it was the right, reciprocal thing to do--even though I'd heard a story about the receptionist before I'd even set foot in there for the first time. But, yes--when that whole situation (that could be most efficiently described as "the mean girls' bullying") came to a head (almost a YEAR ago?! Wow)--and his receptionist had played a part in all of that for quite some time--I couldn't stay there. Sad. In a lot of ways.

Other than wishing the "new guys" had a chiropractor and accupuncturist on staff, I think they're great. I was excited to find that Dr. Bahns was there, too; she's our "regular," but I think we've seen everyone else. Well, not the surgeons and, frankly, I'd like to keep it that way! :goodluck

Just do it. He obviously still has plenty of clients, and you can put the extra gas money in the "Vet Bills" part of your budget!

Edited by LisaB

Lisa
...sharing the journey with my best friend, Kevin, and our four greyhounds:
Littermates Sweetie* & Spicy (Possible Betsy, Possible Edna),

Moody* (Jr's Moody Man), and Dragon (Kiowa Dragonfire)

*Gone to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge

Agree with everyone else. It sounds like you should switch - maybe suggest you current vet move to the new practice (only half-kidding).

Needing to be referred for nearly everything, but especially the awful woman behind the front desk, combines to make a situation that is too difficult. I definitely also think you should write him a nice letter detailing some of the awful things that woman has said to you; unfortunately she probably reads all the mail so he might never get it (I guess you could send it registered or certified mail, and let him know the reason you sent it that way).

I know it is hard though, especially when you like the actual people who are providing service.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Lisa, yep, you're the friend I was referring to :)

In my heart of hearts I know it's the right thing to do for all of my kids. Ace has leukemia and an issue with a possible re-occurring spindle cell carcinoma in her leg, Pinky has osteo (so we'll be married to the new place for a good long while anyway for her chemo treatments and followup), my kitty Rosie has hyperthyroidism that requires medication and monitoring, Carrie is 12 and has a stroke/something like a stroke in her medical history, Skimmie is having issues that I mentioned in my OP that I have a feeling are going to require some additional testing. Sage had both of his knees operated on before I got him and as he ages he may need special orthopedic care.

Long story short, we are going to be needing specialized care as these guys carry on, and the new place can offer it all. I'll ask them when I take Ace in for her suture removal what we need to do to transfer everything over.

For the record Lisa, if your kids ever need surgery, Dr. Less is an amazing man. I trust him completely.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

I understand your feelings ... I'm still dealing with some guilt about taking my new cats to Beth's vet (who is wonderful, has super-advanced facilities, does chiropractic and acupuncture, and everyone there has become like family to me) instead of the cats-only vet I used for my previous cats (who was knowledgeable but didn't have the same facilities and sometimes felt kind of bitchy to me, though she was very compassionate in my Carey's last days).

The wonderful Christmas card I just got from my current vet (addressed to me, Beth, and the two cats and signed by every single person in the office) makes me feel a little less guilty. Of course I've spent so much there in the past year they should give me a personal parking spot... :rolleyes:

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Long story short, we are going to be needing specialized care as these guys carry on, and the new place can offer it all. ...

Yep, to all of it, and this part is why I really didn't look around too much before choosing to go where we are now. With mine getting older and pretty much every vet in town making referrals to these guys for "the big stuff" anyway...no brainer. BUT--THIS was something interesting: when I'd mention that I was thinking about going there for ALL of my kids' care, I had several people who said I couldn't because "they only do specialized, referral stuff." SO...let's just let everyone keep thinking that, okay, so we never have a problem getting an appointment! ;) ALL OF YOU reading this are sworn to secrecy, okay?! :D

Lisa
...sharing the journey with my best friend, Kevin, and our four greyhounds:
Littermates Sweetie* & Spicy (Possible Betsy, Possible Edna),

Moody* (Jr's Moody Man), and Dragon (Kiowa Dragonfire)

*Gone to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge

Guest iconsmum

If you're looking for absolution, you have it. Switch vets for the sake of yourself and your dogs, and if it makes you feel better send a polite letter thanking your old vet for his service and letting him know, nicely, why you've made the change.

I agree with exactly this. I think it might be helpful to the vet to know about the attitude-packed receptionist from you, since presumably, he respects you.

Make the switch and don't look back. I understand your reluctance, however, bottom line -- it's the Vets fault for not hiring proper front desk staff. With the unemployment rate the way it is I'm sure he would have plenty of resumes to choose from-- it's inexcusable that he allows that woman to remain employed there. Your pets come first as well as their healthcare.

I would definetly write him a heartfelt letter expressing your reasons for leaving the practice. What he chooses to do with that knowledge will be up to him. You should hold no guilt.

Dang - y'all make me feel like a horrible person - I'd switch in a New York minute and not feel a twinge of guilt! (But then again, even my friends will admit I can be a real beotchlol.gif!) But whatever is best for my dogs, I do. I would also, very matter of factly, tell your old vet exactly why you're leaving. He deserves the truth, make of it what he will. Do NOT feel guilty about wanting the best for your kiddos. Imagine the guilt you would feel if you didn't switch and because of his receptionist and/or not getting in to see him in time, something bad happened to one of your animals - talk about guilt.

Connie

Guest BrianRke

When it comes down to it, you need to do what is best for your dogs. If the vet was excellent, I could probably overlook the *itch receptionist. I think you already know what you need to do.

Guest KennelMom

I'm kind of in the same boat. We love the vets and the staff at our current practice, but it's 45 minutes away and a crappy drive through downtown to make. When I wanted a really good x-ray of Haley's abdomen to look at the status of her tumor, I opted to take her to a 24 hour vet we sometimes use b/c they have a digital x-ray that takes amazing pictures, vs the film xrays at our regular practice. I just hate the thought of picking a new practice and getting acquainted with the staff. Meh.

If you wrote a list of pros and cons, I'm sure the new place would win hands down. How long would you feel guilty for? My guess is about 2 minutes and it would be over once you saw how well your pups are being cared for, how much time you'd save driving plus gas, and how well the front desk treated you.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I've switched vets a couple times recently. The first switch was after my old vet retired. The new vet that replaced him seemed OK enough, but I had so many issues with billing (all the old staff left or were asked to leave within a year of the old vet retiring, and the new people were having problems) and appointment setting among other issues that I left.

I tried a practice that is pretty close to us, in part because of they do have a high res digital x-ray. I'll probably use them again if I need a high res xray, but I was not happy with how they handled pain management for D's osteo, and it was a big fight for anything other than just deramaxx, meanwhile D is in pain.

The vet I'm with now is the one who sent D to the bridge. She and her assistant/tech came out to the house to do it and both explained everything they were going to do and were just so caring. She has been wonderful and the tech is also amazing. They have a mobile service in the evenings and the office is open during the day. They have a chiro come in once a week as well, and he has worked on Sully's back. What I like is that if she isn't sure about something, she'll research it and/or call another vet who has more expertise in that area, and she seems open to new things.

I still felt bad switching those times, but I really like my current vet and I am glad that I made the switch.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

• 5 weeks later...

Absolutely agree to let your vet know WHY you are switching, but SWITCH and do it NOW. No one needs the stress imposed by this nasty person who is obviously in the wrong job...as long as you are happy with the alternative vet, don't waste a minute feeling guilty. I would feel terrible if I ever avoided contacting this office to avoid the stress of dealing with this witch...and put my pups at risk for my avoidance.

I really enjoyed our first vet. He "got" dogs. He would greet the dogs first and people later, sit on the floor and fuss over them, cookies...etc. He wouldn't want to waste your pocketbook on fruitless things and tried for the simplest solutions first. We ended up moving and were easily a half hour drive from him, but I really liked the practice there. When Kasey started getting allergies, that latter method of simple solutions first just didn't cut it for us anymore. What didn't help is that he was so far to get to. I was upset having to sever ties, I think I even sent a thank you card. :blush We've been through several vets since, and the one we are with now is much like the first place we went to. After being through many vets since 2005, I still highly regard the very first one we had, but we had to do what was right for Kasey and us at the time.

I can't believe the story of the receptionist, that is outrageous that she treats clients like that.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

So, of course I decided to change to the new vet, but I haven't had all of their records transferred yet. So I needed my Rosie kitty's thyroid meds refilled and long story short, since she was out of refills the pharmacy had to call the old vet's office (who doesn't yet know that I won't be back). That was yesterday at 5pm. The pharmacy called them TWICE today and left messages with Mrs. Wonderful (:rolleyes:). Guess what, at 5:30 pm tonight the pharmacy STILL hadnt received a call back! The vet himself is great and always returns my calls when someone else takes the message...so, I'm thinking that he's not receiving the messages. Great. Just makes the decision a little bit easier to handle! Still, what a heartless person!

The new place has many office workers, and each doctor has a private voice mail that they check often. It's great to be able to leave a message and KNOW that the doctor is going to be the one listening to it.

It sounds like you made a wise decision, Kristen. Everything you've said about the new practice is positive, and it sounds like a consumer-friendly office.

In the end, our loyalty is to our dogs, not the vets who have treated them. You're their mom but also their advocate, and you have to feel comfortable calling the office, and know that your call will be treated professionally and addressed quickly.

I've left 2 practices that I'd brought my dogs to for many years. The first practice could not give me an urgent appointment for my acutely-ill 13 year old greyhound. Told me they were booked for days. I told them this was unacceptable and made it clear why I was transferring care. I never had a chance to talk with the vet personally; I discussed the problem with the office mgr, who happened to be the partner of the vet. Disappointing but Geisha was my priority.

The second practice did not perform an individual cremation on my Arielle, despite having done so for dogs the vet had previously euthanized. No one knew what happened, but I had no ashes to bring home. I could never forgive this painful error. On top of that, their front desk staff changed, and the new people were not very pleasant. End of story.

Good for you for making a very smart decision. It might be worth it to send a personal letter to your prior vet, explaining the reasons you have left. Perhaps it will give him the motivation to make some changes.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

I'm just reading this now (shush! I've been busy!) and that receptionist would be akin to having a receptionist in a pediatric office tell the parents of a child that "a good quick kick in the ass would clear that right up!"....it's just unimaginable!!

I assume you are making the switch now so good luck, I hope there aren't anymore repercussions from Ms. Bitchy Monster. We have a regular vet office which is fine for annual work and minor injuries but the big stuff goes to the 24 hr vet nearby where everything is pretty state of the art. The advantage of our regular vet is that they have several vets, maybe 5, so we are constantly making appt's for the same day or the following day. Since we always make morning appt's, I don't know how it would be if I ever go back to 1st shift and have to fight for the 4pm time slot!!!

Anyway, CHANGE now: RUN and DON'T LOOK BACK!! But you can write the letter if that's what people do. I would just leave and, if they asked, say the wait is too long, the receptionist stinks and my other vet makes me happy.

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background