How To Decide When To Have A Dental Done.

Guest Wasserbuffel

Guest Wasserbuffel

Hey all, I need some advice.

My vet's office is offering dentals through the month of December for $90.

Jayne had a dental just before I adopted her in February 2010. Her teeth don't seem to me to be in bad shape, but they do have some buildup on them. She's had near daily access to a bully stick for the last eight months or so. She goes through a 12" about every four days. She has some meals of (raw) bones, but because she won't eat raw poultry those aren't very frequent. Over the next year she'll have more bones than last because now I have a dedicated freezer where I can store them for her.

How do you guys choose when to have a dental done? I'm not at all worried about the cost (although getting it at a discount is better than paying full price), but I do worry about the anesthesia danger.

I plan to wait until our vet tells us we need one done. I've had Rainy now for over 3 years and she's still pearly white at 7yrs old. Sunshine just chews everything in sight so she's clean! :lol *fingers crossed* That we might never need one if I can keep them both interested in chewing.

------

Jessica

I wait until our vet tells us it's necessary. He finally said it was necessary this year so the dogs have been going in one at a time and getting their teeth done.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Lucky just had his first one (he's 5) and I don't want to ever put him under again. He had a rough time :(

The vet actually had me get him right after they were done instead of waiting the 3-4 hours like they normally do.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest Wasserbuffel

Thanks for all your replies. Jayne is my first dog, so I've never given any thought to dentals before. I'm going to take the advice a couple of you have given and hold of untill the vet reccomends one.

Between bullysticks, bones, brushing and Petzlife spray, she probably shouldn't need one for a while.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Personally, I try to avoid dentals unless they are absolutely medically necessary. Every time the vet says one of the hounds might be needing a dental soon, I go into hyper maintenance mode and by the next vet visit they're usually clean enough to make the vets wonder why they had a dental suggested on the chart! That being said, I have one hound who really needs some work done. My youngest, with the worst mouth... She's also the one who just cost us a small fortune getting her put back together from her skirmish with her sister. Her teeth were nasty when I got her; not just dirty but in bad shape. I got them to a better state but even with ideal regular care, they have gotten worse. So right after tax time I will be taking her in for a couple of extractions. At least she did really well with the anesthesia for her wound repair surgery. She's only 4.

When considering pro dentals, we need to look at hound's teeth, and very importantly, the gumline. Bacteria enter the gumline, eventually damaging tooth roots. Soft Plaque (brushable) hardens to calculus (not brushable) on teeth, all causing periodontal disease which travels into the dog's body possibly causing serious life-threatening diseases. (Same with people.)

This link shows pictures of stages of periodontal disease: http://www.treaschwi...m/stagespd.html

I understand and agree re: not wanting to place hounds under anesthesia more often than needed; thus, daily brushing with a pet safe toothpaste is excellent preventative care that we can control.

One of my fosters arrived near her 7th birthday. Her mouth was in horrible condition. She immediately needed 26 teeth removed. Not too surprisingly, she passed from cancer 6 months later. 6 years of tooth neglect (raw diet).

Our own hounds need professional dentals every 1.5 to 3 years. All our hounds get daily brushings with CET toothpaste, if I'm exhausted, at very least, oral rinse. Our hounds with the most healthy teeth and gums get daily brushings, plus are our natural "chewer" hounds who enjoy daily chewing on hard "Durachew" bones (made by Nylabone).

Many vets in my area (west coast) charge on a varied scale depending on patient's periodontal stage (Stages 1 to 4, mild to severe). Our pet dentals start at $400.00 up to $1,000.00 for later stage periodontal disease (even for cats!). These prices are another good reason for us to brush daily, expanding time between needed dentals.

I agree that dogs should not have bad doggie breath. Brushing helps that greatly too (unless there is underlying gum damage/infection). Our human breath (and teeth) would be terrible if we didn't brush our teeth daily.

Thanks for asking this good question that may help others too. :)

Edited by 3greytjoys

Many vets in my area (west coast) charge on a varied scale depending on patient's periodontal stage (Stages 1 to 4, mild to severe). Our pet dentals start at $400.00 up to $1,000.00 for later stage periodontal disease (even for cats!). These prices are another good reason for us to brush daily, expanding time between needed dentals.

I know things on the west coast are more expensive, but I'm glad my vet doesn't charge your prices. I guess I'm fortunate I live in a rural area. Great vet with up to date equipment, knowledgeable about greys and charges about $200 without extractions. If it is during a special (about 2x per year) it is about $20 less. This includes blood work and antibiotics.

When considering pro dentals, we need to look at hound's teeth, and very importantly, the gumline.

Worth saying again! Any sign of inflammation starting there, you need a dental. Preferably, you've gotten one before that point.

Anaesthesia is a risk, but gum disease and bad teeth can cause monstrous health problems.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It has to be obvious and no question about it for me to allow my houndies to have one. I would get it more often probably but I dare not trust them to the vet techs or vets unless it is absolutely necessary. There are many other things to be aware of besides anesthesia risk. There are reasons they don't like clients to see what goes on "in the back." One that immediately comes to my mind is how will they be handled when they are sedated/under anesthesia and have no muscle tone to protect themselves with? I know-I worked at a large university vet hospital for 2 years and seen how. I ALSO SEEN THE EXCRUCIATING PAIN & MISERY MY MINNY SUFFERED AFTER SOMEONE AT THE VETS DESTROYED/DESCIMATED/TORE UP EVERY LIGAMENT IN HIS HIP because he was a big heavy non-ambulatory houndie and they moved him by pulling and swinging with his hind legs instead of getting help if necessary and lifting him properly and safely. And after the injury when he would scream in pain a tech had the stupidity and gall to start to move him that way again right in front of me-she didn't even care about his pain! And then how they refused to even allow a sign to be put on his cage that his hip was now injured and not to move him by pulling on his leg. It was pitiful I tell you-just plain pitiful what they did to him. Heart breaking seeing him suffer that way just becasue somebody was too lazy and incompetent to move him properly. So for us I figure it is better to risk the results of not perfect teeth than risk severe injury and pain(or death) at the hands of the techs/vets. Only Sunday nite I had to take Momma to the evet and you better believe they understood that she was a sweet dignified old lady and she was to be treated kindly and gently. I now write on all vet papers DO NOT PULL OR LIFT BY HIND LEGS. I won't tolerate such lunacy again. When it happenned with Minny I lost him and Cash in the same week, both were down at home and I mentally was not in touch enough to prosecute. I so wish I had now and you can be sure the next time the lawyer will be my first stop if such negligence happens again. So I consider a dental to be a serious risk to their life and well being due to the incompetence of techs and vets as much as anesthesia etc. and therefore its not an option unless it is acutely necessary for pain etc. Perhaps once vet offices realize such mistreatment is detrimental to their profit margin since it makes caring owners afraid to even take their pets to them, perhaps then they will address such behavior and be more compassionate as heaven knows profit margins and bottom lines are their best motivator. As Dr. Cu--imgs told me "Its not about compassion." So keep that in mind when you turn your best buddy over to them.

Edited by racindog

Guest BrianRke

It has to be obvious and no question about it for me to allow my houndies to have one. I would get it more often probably but I dare not trust them to the vet techs or vets unless it is absolutely necessary. There are many other things to be aware of besides anesthesia risk. One that immediately comes to my mind is how will they be handled when they are sedated/under anesthesia and have no muscle tone to protect themselves with? I know-I worked at a large university vet hospital for 2 years and seen how. I ALSO SEEN THE EXCRUCIATING PAIN & MISERY MY MINNY SUFFERED AFTER SOMEONE AT THE VETS DESTROYED/DESCIMATED/TORE UP EVERY LIGAMENT IN HIS HIP because he was a big heavy non-ambulatory houndie and they moved him by pulling and swinging with his hind legs instead of getting help if necessary and lifting him properly and safely. And after the injury when he would scream in pain a tech had the stupidity and gall to start to move him that way again right in front of me-she didn't even care about his pain! And then how they refused to even allow a sign to be put on his cage that his hip was now injured and not to move him by pulling on his leg. It was pitiful I tell you-just plain pitiful what they did to him. Heart breaking seeing him suffer that way just becasue somebody was too lazy and incompetent to move him properly. So for us I figure it is better to risk the results of not perfect teeth than risk severe injury and pain(or death) at the hands of the techs/vets. Only Sunday nite I had to take Momma to the evet and you better believe they understood that she was a sweet dignified old lady and she was to be treated kindly and gently. I now write on all vet papers DO NOT PULL OR LIFT BY HIND LEGS. I won't tolerate such lunacy again. When it happenned with Minny I lost him and Cash in the same week, both were down at home and I mentally was not in touch enough to prosecute. I so wish I had now and you can be sure the next time the lawyer will be my first stop if such negligence happens again. So I consider a dental to be a serious risk to their life and well being due to the incompetence of techs and vets as much as anesthesia etc. and therefore its not an option unless it is acutely necessary for pain etc. Perhaps once vet offices realize such mistreatment is detrimental to their profit margin since it makes caring owners afraid to even take their pets to them, perhaps then they will address such behavior and be more compassionate as heaven knows profit margins and bottom lines are their best motivator. As Dr. Cu--imgs told me "Its not about compassion." So keep that in mind when you turn your best buddy over to them.

Thank you for telling us that. Its something I have never thought of. I will be sure to keep that in mind if mine ever do need a dental. I have never had to have a full dental done on any of my hounds. I have chipped away tartar with my fingernail, I give them high quality tartar control treats, brush their teeth, and give them raw chicken feet. I do trust my vet, however I wont put my dogs under unless its absolutely necessary. I know too many people who have lost their dogs during a dental and Im not willing to take that chance.

It has to be obvious and no question about it for me to allow my houndies to have one. I would get it more often probably but I dare not trust them to the vet techs or vets unless it is absolutely necessary. There are many other things to be aware of besides anesthesia risk. One that immediately comes to my mind is how will they be handled when they are sedated/under anesthesia and have no muscle tone to protect themselves with? I know-I worked at a large university vet hospital for 2 years and seen how. I ALSO SEEN THE EXCRUCIATING PAIN & MISERY MY MINNY SUFFERED AFTER SOMEONE AT THE VETS DESTROYED/DESCIMATED/TORE UP EVERY LIGAMENT IN HIS HIP because he was a big heavy non-ambulatory houndie and they moved him by pulling and swinging with his hind legs instead of getting help if necessary and lifting him properly and safely. And after the injury when he would scream in pain a tech had the stupidity and gall to start to move him that way again right in front of me-she didn't even care about his pain! And then how they refused to even allow a sign to be put on his cage that his hip was now injured and not to move him by pulling on his leg. It was pitiful I tell you-just plain pitiful what they did to him. Heart breaking seeing him suffer that way just becasue somebody was too lazy and incompetent to move him properly. So for us I figure it is better to risk the results of not perfect teeth than risk severe injury and pain(or death) at the hands of the techs/vets. Only Sunday nite I had to take Momma to the evet and you better believe they understood that she was a sweet dignified old lady and she was to be treated kindly and gently. I now write on all vet papers DO NOT PULL OR LIFT BY HIND LEGS. I won't tolerate such lunacy again. When it happenned with Minny I lost him and Cash in the same week, both were down at home and I mentally was not in touch enough to prosecute. I so wish I had now and you can be sure the next time the lawyer will be my first stop if such negligence happens again. So I consider a dental to be a serious risk to their life and well being due to the incompetence of techs and vets as much as anesthesia etc. and therefore its not an option unless it is acutely necessary for pain etc. Perhaps once vet offices realize such mistreatment is detrimental to their profit margin since it makes caring owners afraid to even take their pets to them, perhaps then they will address such behavior and be more compassionate as heaven knows profit margins and bottom lines are their best motivator. As Dr. Cu--imgs told me "Its not about compassion." So keep that in mind when you turn your best buddy over to them.

Thank you for telling us that. Its something I have never thought of. I will be sure to keep that in mind if mine ever do need a dental. I have never had to have a full dental done on any of my hounds. I have chipped away tartar with my fingernail, I give them high quality tartar control treats, brush their teeth, and give them raw chicken feet. I do trust my vet, however I wont put my dogs under unless its absolutely necessary. I know too many people who have lost their dogs during a dental and Im not willing to take that chance.

That is EXACTLY the way I feel. Also that is why I posted it. Perhaps it will keep it from happenning to another innocent houndie.

Edited by racindog

Guest Wasserbuffel

Yeah, it's a full dental. Here's the ad:

"Does your pet need a brighter and healthier smile for the holiday season? Mention this Facebook post to receive dental cleaning services for $90.00 throughout the month of December. Pricing includes pre-surgical exam, gas anesthesia, scaling and polishing of the teeth and thorough oral examination. Bloodwork and extractions are additional charges. Healthy teeth and gums are essential to overall well-being!"

I called and the regular price is $188.

Racindog, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your hound. What a terrible way for the staff to have handled him. That said, I have been behind the scenes at my vet's office many times. Several years ago I spent an entire day shadowing the staff when I was considering going to school to be a vet tech. Other times have been when carrying a pet back into the cages to drop them off for a checkup or boarding, or even visiting when someone has had to stay a couple days. I've been their client for twelve years and with a variety of critters and have never seen them handle any animal badly. They've expanded the practice some in the last few years, but most of the techs are still the same one's that were there twelve years ago. Both of the veterinarians are experienced with greyhounds and the one I usually use (because he does birds where the other doesn't) used to work at a track and had pet greys of his own. In my place, the anethesia is the bigger worry. I have plenty of reason to trust my animals to the staff at this vet hospital. I wouldn't, however, feel the same with just any veterinarian or practice.

I think I'll take advantage of the low price for my cat, Ron. Last night I bothered everyone by poking around in their mouths. Ron's teeth definitely need cleaning although his gums are still healthy. Jayne's gums look great and other than the front of each canine needing a little work, her teeth look good. My cat Bob's teeth have some plaque, but his gums look great. The ducks and chickens are fine, not having teeth and all. ;)

Guest mbfilby

For us too, dentals (and any other procedure that requires anesthesia) are of last resort.

I would question at $90 if greyhound safe anesthesia protocol would be followed. ie. pre labs, IV catheter, etc.

So I consider a dental to be a serious risk to their life and well being due to the incompetence of techs and vets as much as anesthesia etc. and therefore its not an option unless it is acutely necessary for pain etc. Perhaps once vet offices realize such mistreatment is detrimental to their profit margin since it makes caring owners afraid to even take their pets to them, perhaps then they will address such behavior and be more compassionate as heaven knows profit margins and bottom lines are their best motivator.

Wow...I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with Minny, but please don't paint all vets/techs with the same brush. Didn't Minny's hip injury happen at the e-vet? Do you distrust your regular vet and their staff as well? Maybe it's time to find a new vet.

There are many vets and techs who are caring - I'd say they outnumber the ones who are not. I've said before that veterinary medicine is not a field we go into for the money. Most of us choose to work in this field because we love what we do. There are many professions that pay a whole lot better and require the same amount, or even less, training and education.

As to not wanting clients to see what goes on "in the back," I can honestly say that there is nothing that happens at my clinic that the client would not be allowed to see if they wanted. For regular appointments, it is our policy to always ask for the client's permission before taking an animal out of their sight, and they are welcome to come along if they prefer.

Most procedures that require sedation or anesthesia are done as drop-offs, so the owner is usually not present. This is not because we'll be doing anything the owner can't see, but out of respect for the clients' time since the procedures may take several hours from start to finish, and we don't always start at a set time. On the rare occasion when I've had a client ask to be present, I don't have a problem with this, as long as they understand what they'll be seeing and aren't squeamish (would prefer not to deal with a client passing out at the site of blood). I had one owner who stayed and watched us neuter his dog.

Anyway, regarding the original question.... IMO, if you're not sure whether your dog needs a dental cleaning, make an appointment with your vet to evaluate his teeth and discuss whether they feel it is necessary at this point. Keep in mind that vets do vary in how aggressive they are at routine dental cleanings and evaluations under anesthesia.

Veterinary dental specialists would tell you that every dog needs to be anesthetized regularly (usually yearly) for a full oral evaluation and x-rays regardless of how much visible tartar build up is present as a lot of disease can be hidden under the gumline. This is similar to how human dentistry is practiced. Most general practitioners are a lot more conservative than this and will only recommend dentals when there is some degree of visible tartar accumulation or gingivitis.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I love practices like yours! I'm that pita customer who won't let you take Sunshine out of my sight. When I first got her it took them 3, yes 3 male techs to get her in the back. One pulling and two pushing. The whole event was horrifying.

We obviously have switched vets and now i insist on taking her back myself. They even let me lift her on the table for xrays. Had me leave the room for 30 seconds then come back in to reposition her. Even though she had two strangers holding her like a pretzel they commented on how she instantly relaxed as soon as i opened that door to come in again.

I've never thought of asking to attend surgeries. I'll add that to my list if the time ever comes. I know I'll never leave her alone at the vets. Too many stories of shy dogs getting loose and running away.

------

Jessica

Guest FordRacingRon

Leia came to us after a dental done by the group 6 years ago (gotcha day coming up). Never has had a dental. daily brushing and a bullystick seems to be the take. If tarter gets a bit out of control,,Petzgel to the rescue. I figure every living being has only so many times they can be put under and I am saving hers if and when they are needed.

And as far as the story told by racindog,,I vow to never let a tech lift my dog without me being there after reading that post. If they don't want the ungodly amount of money from me that is charged here in SOCAL,,I will find another vet.