More On Iams In The Red Bag

Houndtime

Since we are moving soon, and I won't have the luxury of a Costco nearby, I decided to see if we could switch over to a dog food that we could buy just about anywhere. I have been reading that people were pleased with Iams in the red bag, so I purchased a 15 lb bag today in Walmart to try and start to intergrate into their food. Tonight I read on another site that there was a recall of Red Bag, lot #127944177J4, UPC 1901403735. My UPC matches, but I apparently purchased a different lot number. I am usually cautious about corn meal and fillers, but I was impressed with the other ingredients. Now I think I will return it, as Len and I don't feel comfortable feeding it. I don't know what to do.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

You might try searching the old COSTCO threads. I think someone previously posted the name of the company maunfacturing the COSTCO foods and that it was similar to some of that manufacturer's name brand products. I'm thinking that Diamond was the manufactuerer, but don't take my word for it as I didn't follow the thread all that closely. No COSTCO here in the cornfields either.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest herbsofmine

I feed Iams in the red bag, and I never saw where it was recalled. I do remember seeing something about Diamond having issues...My boys have done extremely well on the Lamb and Rice.

Where did you find the info? There don't seem to be any announcements on the FDA or IAMS websites .....

I feed IAMS red bag to one of my dogs and have never had a problem.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

From the GAA board posted a "watch dog" type person:

I don't know if anyone else heard about this. They are not calling it a recall on the government website or on IAMS website and as of today Price chopper pulled the notice from their website.

No other stores report a "product pull" as of today.

Aflatoxin, in this case, is basically due to moldy corn used to make the food. This mold also grows on other grains and peanuts. There is no antidote for Aflatoxicosis. It affects the liver.

On 11/25, Price Chopper grocery chain issued a product recall of

IAMS Lamb Meal with Rice Dog Food - UPC 1901403735 - Lot number 127944177J4 - 15 lbs.

Also pulled was IAMS Original with Çhicken Cat Food 4 lbs - UPC 1901410504 - Lot number 1279417715 and IAMS OCCF 6.8 lbs -UPC 1901403915 - Lot number 12794177D3.

Various pet food watch groups initially posted about the recall but now it appears the "recall" was recalled and no additional information can be found. I would still check the UPC and Lot number if I had any of these foods in the house. Best to be safe.

Jackie

whew, i just had a bag in my hand the other day but for some reason couldn't go w/ a gain first food.i even wrote to pam/hubcitypam since i wasn't sure of which iams to buy. after nearly 3 years of feeding holistic select felix has had a rancid smelling and horrid stools(loose and super smelly). my vet suggestion something"not as fancy" as well as tylan powder. so, i ended up w/ pro pac sensitive stomach. their foods have limited ingredients- and a protien(chicken,lamb, whatever)meal as the first ingredient. meals have better asorption.pro pac is made by the earthborn co, indiana feeds(i believe). as i explore the world of cheaper foods i'll most likely try the iams. my welsh terrier ate it for 10 years.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest mcsheltie

Iams is calling it a product pull, not a consumer recall. The notice was not supposed to reach the public :angryfire

These are the products:

Iams Original with Chicken Cat Food

UPC 1901403915

Lot Number 12794177D3

Size 6.8 lbs.

Iams Original with Chicken Cat Food

UPC 1901410504

Lot Number 12794177I5

Size 4 lbs.

Iams Lamb Meal with Rice Dog Food

UPC 1901403735

Lot Number 12794177J4

Size 15 lbs.

whew, i just had a bag in my hand the other day but for some reason couldn't go w/ a gain first food.i even wrote to pam/hubcitypam since i wasn't sure of which iams to buy. after nearly 3 years of feeding holistic select felix has had a rancid smelling and horrid stools(loose and super smelly). my vet suggestion something"not as fancy" as well as tylan powder. so, i ended up w/ pro pac sensitive stomach. their foods have limited ingredients- and a protien(chicken,lamb, whatever)meal as the first ingredient. meals have better asorption.pro pac is made by the earthborn co, indiana feeds(i believe). as i explore the world of cheaper foods i'll most likely try the iams. my welsh terrier ate it for 10 years.

Lamb is the first ingredient on the red bag.

If chicken isn't a problem and you want to feed iams you could try this Iams food click here Certainly better ingredient list then the others.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Fuzzy seems to get a little gassy on chicken. That is why lamb is our preference. Our vet said the lamb is easier on the stomach.

IAMS® Simple & Natural Chicken, Rice & Barley Recipe ....i checked the old fashioned green bag, first ingredient chicken by products meal...skin,necks, livers, gizzards? huh??

the simple & natural chicken is a blue bag, right??? according to the site, higher protien/fat but not by much. i couldn't find the "simple & natural". well, i need more food...anyway....so, i will check again.

Edited by cleptogrey