Another Toe Situation

Well done Bumper, all around! thumbs-up.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Glad things are coming along on schedule, and that Bumper is able to get around.

:)

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

• 2 months later...

Update Feb 1/12. angryfire.gif

I'm seriously unimpressed with this update and frankly really peeved.

I had the boys into the vet today for a dental exam and asked the doc to look at Bumper's toe, as it is still causing him problems (limping) even though the cast / splint has been off for over a month. Long story short, the break in the toe extended perhaps 'too close' to the joint and the resulting calcification (healing) has impeded toe movement IN the joint. So, he can't flex the toe like he should, and it is also painful for him in the joint. Break is healed fine, but the joint is giving him troubles. What is the solution you ask? The solution is what I asked on day 1: 'Should we consider amputating the toe?' The vet is now saying we should take off the toe. Great.

The splint process took 6 weeks. We are now at 10 weeks post injury.

Because of all the splint changes, X-rays, etc, the cost to date is about $1,200 for the toe. The quote for the amp is $1,300. The real cost is the impact to Bumper: 10 weeks of discomfort, then surgery plus another 2-3 of discomfort. angryfire.gif.

I'm almost at a loss for words.

And I have no intention on having the surgery done there...in fact, we have already moved the 2 cats to another vet and they are going to get the 3 dogs as well. So, they've lost us as 12 year customers.

I questioned the vet from the onset (thanks to you guys and your feedback) and that's what makes me really mad about this...their recommendation doubled the cost and quadrupled the healing time.

I'm sorry for the rant, but this sucks for everyone, especially poor Bumper.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

I am sorry. sad.gif Tell your ex-vet he needs to read GT - source of all knowledge. mad.gif Aw, poor Bumper. And him with a new sister he needs to break in. rolleyes.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

So sorry for you and poor Bumper.

This makes me appreciate my vet even more. When I mention "the Greytalk forum," he sits up and listens. :)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest jvandover

Update Feb 1/12. angryfire.gif

I'm seriously unimpressed with this update and frankly really peeved.

I had the boys into the vet today for a dental exam and asked the doc to look at Bumper's toe, as it is still causing him problems (limping) even though the cast / splint has been off for over a month. Long story short, the break in the toe extended perhaps 'too close' to the joint and the resulting calcification (healing) has impeded toe movement IN the joint. So, he can't flex the toe like he should, and it is also painful for him in the joint. Break is healed fine, but the joint is giving him troubles. What is the solution you ask? The solution is what I asked on day 1: 'Should we consider amputating the toe?' The vet is now saying we should take off the toe. Great.

The splint process took 6 weeks. We are now at 10 weeks post injury.

Because of all the splint changes, X-rays, etc, the cost to date is about $1,200 for the toe. The quote for the amp is $1,300. The real cost is the impact to Bumper: 10 weeks of discomfort, then surgery plus another 2-3 of discomfort. angryfire.gif.

I'm almost at a loss for words.

And I have no intention on having the surgery done there...in fact, we have already moved the 2 cats to another vet and they are going to get the 3 dogs as well. So, they've lost us as 12 year customers.

I questioned the vet from the onset (thanks to you guys and your feedback) and that's what makes me really mad about this...their recommendation doubled the cost and quadrupled the healing time.

I'm sorry for the rant, but this sucks for everyone, especially poor Bumper.

This sounds SO similar to what I went through with Chad's tail over the past month. First vet charged a ton, said it could get better, charged me for endless bandage changes etc. Then told me it would need to be amputated and quoted me $1300. Took Chad to a vet an hour away that knows Greys well, he said it was healing fine, said it just needed a basic bandage not the special one they were selling me earlier, and I could change it myself. Now a few weeks later it is nearly healed. Also, he said at the start if it did come down to amputation, it would only come to about $250-300.

Anyhow, sorry to hear you are going through all this, hopefully you can find a more reasonable vet both with diagnosis, and cost. Good luck!

Poor Bumper & poor you. Makes me feel very glad we chose to avoid the splint for Venus. At last xrays, long time ago, there was still a tiny chip of bone that was in danger of moving. If so it could effect the joint. So far we've been lucky & that hasn't happened. I've have been very angry if they'd suggested the aggressive treatment route & we'd still ended up amputating.

May it all go well.

Guest KennelMom

Poor Bumper :( Sometimes treatment plans are a tough call...we typically err on the side of not cutting off body parts if given the choice. Amputation is pretty permanent and it's a last case solution as far as we're concerned. So, FWIW, we probably would have done what you did and ended up in the same position. Its the chance you take sometimes...most of the time, things heal up just fine. Sometimes they don't...we've had one toe amp on a dog to date (due to injury, one due to cancer). It actually frustrates me when people post on here and their vet's first advice is to just lop the toe off without even trying to heal it at all.

Hopefully the toe amp is an uneventful surgery. Melody's toe healed up super fast after her amputation.

Edited by KennelMom

Oh poor Bumper.

:(

And your poor pocketbook. I'd be fighting to get some of my $$$ back from that vet.

:angryfire

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Poor Bumper!! Well wish I could say I was surprised but now a days such a level of care is pretty typical. I had one vet send Slim home with a broken leg one time. Thank God an orthopedic vet listened to my pleas and begging that he needed attention ASAP and gave me an early appointment. And just recently my friend's poor old dog was sent home from the e-vet(the same ones that so horribly injured Minny's hip) with 3 separate fractures in his poor foot that the regular vet found the next day. She said he was in so much pain that night until they could get to their reg vet the next AM. Its like they don't even care about the poor dogs and what happens to them. Oh well. Please give Bumper some scritches and tell him he will be well soon and to hang in there. Like my old broodie Aggie taught me "enough is enough".

Poor Bumper :( Sometimes treatment plans are a tough call...we typically err on the side of not cutting off body parts if given the choice. Amputation is pretty permanent and it's a last case solution as far as we're concerned. So, FWIW, we probably would have done what you did and ended up in the same position. Its the chance you take sometimes...most of the time, things heal up just fine. Sometimes they don't...we've had one toe amp on a dog to date (due to injury, one due to cancer). It actually frustrates me when people post on here and their vet's first advice is to just lop the toe off without even trying to heal it at all.

Hopefully the toe amp is an uneventful surgery. Melody's toe healed up super fast after her amputation.

I hear ya, for sure, especially when amps are involved, yesterday's vet said they normally don't initially recommend a removal as it freaks owners out. In Bumper's situation, another vet at the clinic did the initial assessment and recommendation given "the break didn't go to the joint, so it should heal fine". She was not our 'regular' vet, but as Bumper needed immediate attention the morning after the break, we thought it best to be seen more timely than not. Yesterday's vet, whom we've seen many times over the years, said the break went into the joint and calcified around / in the joint. These are co-workers at the same small clinic and are seeing different things. Yesterday's vet had no hesitation to now take the toe off and to do it sooner than later - it isn't going to improve, apparently. I know treatment isn't an exact science and different outcomes are always possible, I'm just frustrated for Bumper that he now has to endure another procedure.

In any case, thanks for your thoughts, concerns, and experience, GTers. Hopefully what you've shared, along with our experience, will help others who face this situation in the future!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Oh no! I know hindsight is always 20/20, which probably just adds to your frustration. It's very easy to say what should be done now, as opposed to not being sure at the beginning. I hope Bumper feels better soon.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015