Avril Was Attacked.

Avril was attacked this am on our walk. A pitbull came out of no where and attacked her. The dog was loose with no owner around. I have never seen a pit in my area and have never seen this dog.

Some may remember my post about Avril this summer and her seizures, encephalitits and the ordeal we've been through. She is finally doing well. Seizures under control in the past 6 weeks. She will be on seizure meds and doxy forever per her vets (many).

She has stitches all down her throat and her leg is bad. She has drains and was bitten all over her front elbow area. She really can't walk but probably from pain, soreness, etc.

She seemed ok but began having seizures. We think it is from shock, pain etc. She had her regular seizure meds plus valium, and a muscle relaxer. So thankfully, she is resting comfortably at present.

I'm still in shock. We pulled the pit off of her by the collar. I think actually we choked the pit and it let go. We came home with a collar but the pitbull ran away. Of course no tags. We did report with the county but basically were told they may drive around. Since we don't where the dog lives or even if it lives in our community (stray?) are unable to do anything.

I don't know if it's bc I'm over emotional bc of everything we've been through with her or what but I'm so worried this dog will attack again. It was completely unprovoked. My two greys didn't growl or anything and never do. I don't know if the dog sensed she was weak or what. I don't care. I am just upset. It's sad to think We have to worry about walking in a safe community.

and no flames please on me walking a dog or on pitbulls. I know there are some nice ones. I'm just upset Avril has to come through another ordeal. Enough. and this was a vicious attack. If that dog didn't have a collar on Avril would be dead I have no doubt.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a horrible thing to happen. Sending hugs for yourself, and prayers for your girl to make a rapid and complete recovery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry. My JJ was attacked on a walk - but thankfully owners were able to help me pull the dog off with only "minimal" punctures. Poor Avril with her other health issues on top of all of it.

Just heartbreaking. I am sending all sorts of good thoughts your way.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest jbbuzby

:ohno I'm so sorry that happened...there are just no words to convey it.

Ever since Ferguson and I were attacked by two dogs this summer, I've always carried pepper spray. Luckily, I've not needed it since then, but I feel much safer having it.

Urg. Too many idiot owners. :headwall

Thanks for the nice, supportive responses. I was really afraid to post. I don't want flames about walking a dog or on Pitbulls. I'm just so dang sick over what my precious dog has endured. and yet, she gives me a kiss. I don't know how to block that attack out. horrible....

scootersig_A4.jpg

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

OMG, "awful" isn't a strong enough word for what you and Avril have been through! We're keeping you tucked into our thoughts and hoping you both recovery quickly.

They "might" drive around?! How reassuring. :(

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest madredhare

I am so sorry you went through this. It can happen anywhere with any dog. I personally had this happen to me on my own property between my own greyhound and a greyhound that was staying with us on a long term basis. It is a horrific experience for both the person and the dog. I hope your baby heals well. You will need some well wishes too my friend. I still have nightmares about it.

Edited by madredhare

Guest kjsmith97

Now I remember why I walk my dogs with the dogs in one hand, a walking stick in the other. God forbid, I should ever have to use the stick against another dog, but I would if it was my dog(s) or the other. I may even get some pepper spray as one poster recommended.

Hope Avril gets well soon and that they catch the dog that did this to her.

I'm so sorry, I've gone through this with my non-grey. A pit came out of no where and attacked her. I initially carried pepper spray, but when we were charged again by another dog, I added a walking stick. After it happened a third time I called my local division of the LAPD, asked if stun guns were legal to carry here (and why I wanted one), was given their blessing and bought a small stun gun/wand. I now carry it on every walk. 1,000,000 volts should help defend us.

I'm glad your girl survived, sending prayers for a quick recovery with no complications and no more seizures.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

What an awful, awful thing to happen to you both. Is your baby home with you?? I hope the medications are keeping her comfortable. It might be hard but, you should take pictures of her now just in case this incident ends up in court someday. Hugs to you both.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest boondog

I'm so sorry this happened to you and your sweetie. I hope she has a quick, uneventful recovery. :grouphug

BTW, no one has the right to flame you for walking Avril. You're not the one who allowed a dog to run loose.

Guest GreyFan09

Oh no, so sorry for you and Avril. I know how terrifying this is as our Comet was charged by a Pit over a year ago, and luckily it's owner called it back at the last minute, but that dog had no good intentions for Comet. Comet being Comet, he had no desire to defend himself, just run away. I now carry pepper spray attached to the leash, which I haven't had to use yet but was ready to on a few occasions. Don't get me started on loose dogs.... Grrrr....

Healing thoughts and prayers for poor Avril. Please keep us posted on her progress.

Guest greyers

This is my worst nightmare and unfortunately I have been through it twice, but both times it was a neighbor dog (once ON a leash and the second time years later the neighbor dog was not on a leash). I am SO SORRY that you went through this. It is truly a horrific experience and I have been there with the surgery, stitches, drains and having to look into your dogs eyes and see the discomfort and the tough recovery. Wishing Avril a speedy recovery and you a calmed down heart. :grouphug

Thanks again for the support. and Yes we photographed everything. I have detailed notes from my vet and the other vet in the practice. Yes, Avril is home with me now. I had the option of her staying at the ER over night but I wanted her to be home since the valium drip got her seizures under control and she seemed stable in that part. She is sleeping right now right beside me.

I just have never seen anything like this in my life. it was so vicious without warning. That dog was in for the kill.

Honestly, I don't think anything would have stopped this. I could actually carry a legal hand gun but I would have probably shot my dog, my DH or who knows. It was that quick. I know it's hard to understand but it really happened that fast. DH went to the Dr to get a shot and antibiotics bc he was so roughed up and wrestled the dog. I can't even describe the ordeal...

Avril's just been through so much. And we will deal with this. I am so grateful despite what happened.

scootersig_A4.jpg