Kong Stuffers

Guest pinky425

Guest pinky425

Very excited, after fighting Crash to "kennel up" all week, I finally followed a friend's advice and bought him a couple of Kong's and stuffed it with peanut butter. He loooved it! Not only did he go in his kennel as soon as I told him to kennel up when I let him out at lunch, he didn't cry when I walked out the door to come back to work. In fact, he barely noticed I was gone :D Yayy! Major milestone! What else can I stuff it with so he doesn't get bored? We just got his poop firmed up so preferrably something that won't be too bad on his tummy. He seems to really like plain yogurt and pumpkin and I've heard cottage cheese but what's worked for you all?

I've bought the actual stuffers for the kong....they aren't exactly the healthiest thing, but they fit in the kong nicely and if he's not careful, it'll fall way inside and it'll take him forever to try to get it out, or just give up. I have also frozen the kong with peanut butter and some kibble inside..... Frozen lasts much longer :)

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest KsFrets

We've done everything from PB, to leftovers, to kibble, to cheese, to whatever... and of course freezing it... etc...

But my favorite thing to do is break a large Milk bone in half. Now if you squeeze the Kong to make the opening oval shaped, you can shove the piece of milk bone inside it. It rattles all around in there but won't fall out. They can smell it and lick it, but it really takes some doing to get it out. Maggie will nose that Kong all over the house and even throw it and pounce on it trying to rattle that cookie out of there.

I don't feed a lot of the soft store-bought treats, but putting a couple of bacon flavored treats in there really gets their interest. The smell is really strong and it takes some doing to get it back out.

Mashed up banana works well too.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Speaking of kongs glad this topic came up. I wanted to stuff some for Gilly Boy but the hole on the end looks big enough for him to get his bottom jaw into and I was afraid he might stick it in there and get it stuck on his canines. Ever heard of such a thing? I have 2 size Kongs & one really isn't that big but the hole still looks kind of big and also Gilly BoY is a fairly good sized guy. Been using the biscuit ball but stuff falls out of there too easy! Thanks.

Guest starr511

I'll have to try some of these ideas out for Star. She loves people food. :blush Frozen yogurt with bananas and pb frozen sounds like something I'd like. :lolhehehe

Thanks for the info.

nancy

Guest Melissa516

So far, we've been doing peanut butter and putting it in the freezer. We keep several in the freezer, so we always have one handy. I tried adding kibble or dog biscuits, but Ginger doesn't seem to be able to get that stuff out. So, then I have to try and get it out later to clean the darn thing.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FrankieWylie

Bumping this up for some more suggestions!

My dogs don't love pnut butter, so we've been doing a lot of cream cheese as a sealer.

I like the banana idea! Especially when my kids are so picky they won't touch the ones that have "spots" on them.

Even though we use string cheese as a treat, I didn't think of using it in the kong. DUH!

We've also been putting homemade treats in there! We made the SUPER SIMPLE recipe from Never Say Never Greyhounds....

Turkey Treats

The dogs LOVE them. And, so does my 6 year old LOL! She took them for lunch the first time we made them :| She seriously can't get enough of them!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FlosMomma

Flo loves her kong stuffed with PB and small, round cracker like treats- frozen of course! I love the ideas of bananas, cream cheese, string cheese, and cottage cheese. As a newbie, I wondered what else I could safely offer her. Thanks!

Speaking of kongs glad this topic came up. I wanted to stuff some for Gilly Boy but the hole on the end looks big enough for him to get his bottom jaw into and I was afraid he might stick it in there and get it stuck on his canines. Ever heard of such a thing? I have 2 size Kongs & one really isn't that big but the hole still looks kind of big and also Gilly BoY is a fairly good sized guy. Been using the biscuit ball but stuff falls out of there too easy! Thanks.

That's part of how it works and therefore a good thing! They stick their bottom jaw and tongue in there and work the tasty bits out of the end. I've never had one get stuck or heard of it happening either.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest GreyFan09

Typically Comet's kongs consist of kibble and frozen peanut butter. Once in a while I will throw in some cut-up hot dog pieces too, just for variety, but he loves frozen peanut butter! This is what got him over his seperation anxiety and fear of being in a crate!

A teeny bit of leftover meat or sweet potatoes will please them too.

We make popsicles in the summertime of yogurt, peanut butter and bananas. Bet they would freeze nicely into a kong too.

BTW- I see that the Turkey Treats recipe calls for a heaping tablespoon of minced garlic. I thought garlic was bad for dogs??

Bumping this up for some more suggestions!

My dogs don't love pnut butter, so we've been doing a lot of cream cheese as a sealer.

I like the banana idea! Especially when my kids are so picky they won't touch the ones that have "spots" on them.

Even though we use string cheese as a treat, I didn't think of using it in the kong. DUH!

We've also been putting homemade treats in there! We made the SUPER SIMPLE recipe from Never Say Never Greyhounds....

Turkey Treats

The dogs LOVE them. And, so does my 6 year old LOL! She took them for lunch the first time we made them :| She seriously can't get enough of them!

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Guest Tiptons_Mom

I make those liver muffins minus the garlic (I thought it was bad for them) and he can't get enough of them. So easy to make too.

I have used beef liver as well and it's amazing what I can get him to do for those muffins. :colgate

Guest FrankieWylie

I've read where in large amounts, yea it probably isn't good.

However, a heaping spoonful spread over the entire cookie sheet of treats means they aren't actually consuming that much at once.

I trust Jen's judgement on that one ;)

Liver treats are up next! Can't wait to make those.

My girls love the liver brownies and just won't leave me alone when they know there are some in the house :lol Hadn't thought of putting those into a Kong. Love new ideas!

Guest FrankieWylie

I gotta say, it was totally trippy to see that they did kinda look like brownies!

We are off to the baseball field today, so I plan on using them as training treats. They were certainly interested in them while I was making them. Funny how now, when they hear the food processor they run to the kitchen like "Hell yes! She is making something for us!" :rivethead