Natural/herbal Remedies For Pain

Our 6-year-old grey was recently diagnosed with bursitis in his front shoulder. Before his diagnosis, we tried 4 different pain medications - at one point, he was on 3 at one time, and nothing helped him. He also went through some physical therapy/rehab, including hydrotherapy. We finally got him into the canine ortho surgeon who did an ultrasound and found the bursitis (after he had 4 x-rays and saw 5 different vets at 3 different practices). He had one steroid injection directly into the joint and it looked like for a couple weeks that he would recover, but the shot was short-lived and he is now back to painful limping. We went back to the ortho surgeon who said he wouldn't recommend another shot or oral steroids, and further said there was no surgery or other course of treatment. In other words, he just has to live with the pain.

So, I've made an appointment with our vet (they are holistic and traditional) to discuss other alternative therapies. The vet we are seeing does acupuncutre and herbals (as well as traditional), but we have to wait a week.

Any of you have experience and/or success with herbal/alternative treatments for pain management in your dog? I don't want him back on pain meds, as they really did nothing to help him and I hate to think of damaging other organs in the process. Since the ortho surgeon said "he wasn't bad enough for surgery" - and said he didn't think shots/oral steroids would help since it didn't work the first time (though I've read stories of success when doing a second or third shot...) - we just don't know what to do for him. We switched his food to a fish-based food (anti-inflammatory) and put him on a very small diet to lose a couple pounds (he raced at 80 lbs, but he was up to 86 - one vet recommended losing a few, so he is now at 83) and have him on fish-oil supplements and joint supplements.

It breaks my heart to see him limping around. He was always such an active & happy guy, and he used to love going to doggie day-care once in awhile to let the other dogs chase him around. We can't let him do that anymore. :(

My boy Power, 11yrs old, has calcification of the bicep tendon,,

he went lame, and then completely did NOT use the leg.

he was incorrectly diagnosed with OS,, thank goodness it was a false alarm,,

HOWEVER,,,,

Yucca Intensive has worked for him to decrease inflammation and help with pain management.

www.greyhoundgang.org

claudia sells it, along with many other wonderful supplements.

give it a try. it is inexpensive, and easy to give and it has worked for us!! I think there are many others here who use this as well.

Good Luck

:goodluck

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I second the Yucca; and it is very reasonable. I use it for both of my boys. Fuzzy has a bad back and Paulie is 10 years old and raced until he was 4-1/2, so, he is starting to get a little stiff.

What about acupuncture and chiro. It might help.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I Know a friend who swears by Yukka.

Nixon & Ruby's vet is also certified in Chiro/Accupuncture/Chinese Herbs.

Her recomendation for both my dogs and horses is 'Traumeel'

http://www.ehow.com/about_5318010_traumeel-dogs.html

I've had good luck with both the tablets and the cream.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

I give glucosamine/chondroitin/msm, fish oil at therapeutic doses, and Boswellia for inflammation. I also don't feed carbs or grains for the same reason.

Traumeel tablets worked well for Fletcher's arthritis for a couple of years. Unfortunately, it has gotten worse and we have had to switch to NSAIDs.

Acupuncture was a huge help for my old girl who had arthritis and spinal problems, in fact, it got her walking again, about 90% normal, after she was almost unable to stand or walk. I am going to try and find an acupuncturist for Fletcher.

I take Boswellia for my own arthritis, and it is in Fletcher's supplement, Arthrisoothe Gold. The yucca drops helped him, but he had to stop taking it because of his IBD.

Check out the supplements (and other neat stuff!) on Greyhound Gang's web site. Claudia is very kind and knowledgeable; she will help you choose the best supplement for your hound.

http://www.greyhoundgang.org/shop/index.php?route=common/home

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".