Greyhounds Rubbing Head Against You (Legs, Body)

Guest GoodGreyWriter

Guest GoodGreyWriter

Hello, we were just wondering what it indicates when our (male) greyhound wants to rub his face against us? Hoping it's affection and belonging and not something bad. I can't seem to locate this topic, so am posting this. Thanks. :)

At our house we call it snuffling. My older girl is an A1 snuffler. If is most definitely a sign of affection from her. In fact, at this point in time if, in an affectionate tone, I say, "Oh, Snuffles," my girl will wag her tail, get all goofy & start snuffling me. I love it!

From my experience with both of my greys, I would say that this is affection (although sometimes with my girl, she is also wiping off the remnants from her most recent meal!). Neither of my greys have been real cuddlers, but both of them love to lean and rub against their favorite people.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

It's affection, at least that's what I tell myself as they clean their faces on me after meals! :lol I think I remember reading somewhere that it's scent marking, saying this is mine, others need not apply.

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

I view it as affection. I have 3 that do it together when I get home from work. It's amazing I stay right side up when it happens :lol They really remind me of cats when they do this.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest madredhare

It's affection, at least that's what I tell myself as they clean their faces on me after meals! :lol I think I remember reading somewhere that it's scent marking, saying this is mine, others need not apply.

I was going to say that we must surely be their personal dinner napkin!

Guest tricolorhounds

Gain is the only one of mine that does it... our Shepherd/Mix Felicity use to wash his face all the time, but now that she's gone, he uses us as an after dinner napkin. Gain is a 100% happy affectionate boy and 0% dominant so I'm pretty sure its affection.

It means Rocket couldn't reach the napkins in our house......:lol :lol :lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

When our girl does it (she's very affectionate anyways), sometimes it mean my eyes/ears are itchy (she has seasonal allergies...) So I just assume it's either affection or allergies...

Every morning when I wake up Summit comes over tail wagging and buries his nose in my crotch. Then he rubs his face on my legs and in my tummy. Then he leans his body against me while I pet him. He also sometimes does it when he's really excited to see me... such as when I've been gone for a really long day.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Every morning when I wake up Summit comes over tail wagging and buries his nose in my crotch. Then he rubs his face on my legs and in my tummy. Then he leans his body against me while I pet him. He also sometimes does it when he's really excited to see me... such as when I've been gone for a really long day.

Exactly!

Ben's not a big cuddler, but he loves to rub his face on us and get rubbed by us. I think it just plain feels good.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest greysmitten

Most people who meet my hound comment on how "touchy-feely" she is. She pretty much greets people with a face rub, followed by the entire body lean/rub. Since her head and tail are down, I can only assume this translates to "I mean no harm - please love me!". At least with my girl, I find that face touching is her absolute favourite pet.