Should I Be Concerned

Guest Ummon

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

I agree with the last few posters. Please Re-Read your initial post.

Should I be concerned? You are nervous about the way your hound runs down smaller prey.

You know in your heart that you are playing with fire - otherwise you wouldn't be muzzling your dog.

You know you should be concerned which is why you are writing here. You need to listen and heed the advice that you have been receiving.

No running down smaller animals, no muzzling unless all are muzzled! Let your dog run, if you must but it is your responsibility as a good owner to correct the bad behavior of your hound.

My first hound lovewd nothing more than to chase my whippit around the house, faster and faster they would go and nipping in the neck everytime she would catch the smaller dog. It was play, but it was also bullying. We put a stop to it right away before both dogs got into a tussle. The smaller dog probably would have got the worst of it - but greys have such thin skin, the smaller dog could have inflicted a great injury if biting in a underneath area, especially if the grey had him down.

Do what you want but your question has been answered -- You do need to be concerned.

You are the master of this creature and his welfare is in your caring hands.

You are the one with more intelligence - use it for his benefit

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually disagree with the myth if he is muzzled he is "dangerous". Now I can't know what people are saying behind my back. But for the most part, almost all of the dog owners ask me about it. After I explain he is a grey that is newly off the track and doesn't know the rules yet they are quite tolerant, if not appreciative of my precaution. I don't think it does anything to discourage the likelihood of someone wanting to adopt the breed. Particularly when my 4 children (all under the age of 11) come to the park and how he treats other humans who come.

A lot of people don't necessarily ask. I've had lots of people say "I always see pictures of greyhounds with muzzles on because they're so aggressive, but yours seems really sweet". Not just once but over and over. Of course once I explain they say "ohhhh!", the problem is it's the people who DON'T ask you about the muzzle that are going to go around talking about the aggressive greyhound at the dog park.

I agree. There are a lot of people that don't ask because they already "know" the answer. I've been told by people that greyhounds are vicious, that they'll attack anything smaller than they are, that they bite so need muzzles. I've also heard comments between other people when seeing us (at Petco/PetSmart locations or on the street) and NOT aimed at me, that "greyhounds are vicious and attack so they wear muzzles." And I've called them on it (Monty's frightened of enthusiastic squirrels for goodness sakes, and lives with two cats that stampede right over him when he's in his bed!).

And why did you ask the question if you weren't looking for advice? Yes, you should be concerned about the behavior and the safety. You should also not muzzle if others aren't muzzled. Your dog might be able to outrun other dogs - IF he wasn't in the midst of a tangle and caught up in the fight/attack/kill frenzy that can happen with a yelp or certain movement on another dog's part. And the muzzle isn't 100% proof against your dog injuring another. Greyhounds can do a fair amount of damage even with muzzles on (killed cats and wild things in yards, for example) and all it would take is one yelp of pain to get dogs whipped up in a frenzy.

If you dog isn't well socialized and well behaved, don't take him to dog parks. It's like the parent of a bully saying "well, I took away his knives and brass knuckes before we came to the park, and will yell at him if he hurts another child, but his roughhousing and pushing kids around is just play." Until he breaks a kids arm or something pushing just a little too hard. Would you put up with that bully behavior from your children, or from other children aimed at yours? Be safe, and help your dog be safe. Socialize him first, and if he plays nice then he gets to go to dog parks.

Please for the sake of your pup, the one thing you can take away from all these posts is do not muzzle your Grey in a dog park. Remember a dog's only protection is flee or fight and your pup will only be able to flee so far in a typical dog park. So the second option is fight and this means using the teeth unfortunately. Now the fight may be only a short or can be an all out pack fight and those are extremely frightening. Being a new owner of a Grey, I congratulate you on asking the questions and being concerned. All the people here have good intentions and are only advising you as they have lived or read the stories of other Greys getting seriously hurt from a bite that would on other dogs with thick fur and skin be a basic scrape. Unfortunately Greys have very thin skin and it's quite shocking when you see what a small scrape does to them.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Unfortunately Greys have very thin skin and it's quite shocking when you see what a small scrape does to them.

Summit slipped when he was doing zoomies out in the backyard. He came in dripping blood from a tiny puncture wound. But the wound was completely through all layers of the skin. I had to put a stitch in it. On any other dog I never would have even known about that cut. Now imagine what teeth would do. It's terrifying.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Some GH people believe it is our "duty" to let our retired racers run regularly, but I don't share this viewpoint. It would be fine if a safe run is readily accessible, but don't sweat it if not.

I do not consider a public dog park a safe place for Greyhounds.

In my opinion, we can have perfectly well-adjusted, socialized and fit Greyhounds by leash-walking them, everyday. And at our sides, what a great way to enjoy them, too!

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Well here is an update. Ace has been begging to go to the dogpark regularly. I usually keep him muzzled for the first 15 minutes since he tends to be over exuberant. He has been doing fine once the muzzle is off. INCLUDING the rat dogs that once and a while show up. I saw him do his first play bow today. Sorry everyone I am not saying I know better than you, but the guy loves to run. I am not going to take that away from him.

The people I have encountered for the most part are very watchful of their dogs. I can see perhaps in a big city you might have some irresponsible owners but mine for the most part does not. Owners are quick to point out to me if something is happening that I don't recognize immediately. Ace has even learned to leave the dogs he likes to "pick on" alone.

Guest jbbuzby

Perhaps by "disciplined" you mean "socially intelligent" with other dogs due to their background? I do think greyhounds are very much that. It is just difficult to see if the greyhound is thinking the other dog is a toy, or if they are playing knowing full well they are another dog. It is quite a fine line, even for the cat-safe ones.

For hope though, my grey caught a bird that was learning to fly, and even though he dashed after it, he dropped it immediately on command and returned to my side; the bird didn't survive after a few more minutes, but while it was still very much alive, he overcame his instincts to listen to me and no longer pursue the living prey. I <i>don't</i> think this is something you can always count on, especially with rabbits and things, but I was pleasantly surprised that the predator nature that I was told to be completely un-tameable did seem to have some curve to it.

I guess I wonder why you asked the question since you seem not at all interested in heeding the responses from very experienced greyhound people. It is always disheartening when inexperienced people decide they know better.

I totally agree. It's kind of like this trying to explain things to some people :headwall :headwall

Guest KsFrets

The situation with our neck nipping foster continued over the course of over a month. Every day, as soon as one of our dogs showed excitement or began to play, the foster nipped them on the back of their neck. Then the fateful day when our Maggie had had enough and nipped back... the situation escalated in less than a second with fangs flashing and one dog going for the other's throat. Had I not been there, within reach and yelling NO at the top of my lungs, and pulling them apart, I'm positive there would have been at least one dead dog. We were lucky it just ended up in just a wicked wound vet bill and healing time. We were on pins and needles from then on until that foster left... and the group made sure she went to a single dog home. We thought it was play at first, but definitely learned different. We probably saw several nips a day for over a month until it became a death match... so unless you can get across the dog park in less than a second, I wouldn't keep flirting with the odds.

We don't go to dog parks at all. We do walk/jog our three several miles a day, and use a local fenced in softball field to let them run occasionally. For us, in the city, the dog park isn't just about fights... but also fleas, ticks, and worms etc.

Edited by KsFrets

Sorry everyone I am not saying I know better than you...

But that is exactly what you are doing, isn't it?

I can see perhaps in a big city you might have some irresponsible owners but mine for the most part does not.

It's that "for the most part" that can come back and bite you in the butt...and it has nothing to do with the size of the city.

Owners are quick to point out to me if something is happening that I don't recognize immediately.

:unsure

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Well here is an update. Ace has been begging to go to the dogpark regularly. I usually keep him muzzled for the first 15 minutes since he tends to be over exuberant. He has been doing fine once the muzzle is off. INCLUDING the rat dogs that once and a while show up. I saw him do his first play bow today. Sorry everyone I am not saying I know better than you, but the guy loves to run. I am not going to take that away from him.

The people I have encountered for the most part are very watchful of their dogs. I can see perhaps in a big city you might have some irresponsible owners but mine for the most part does not. Owners are quick to point out to me if something is happening that I don't recognize immediately. Ace has even learned to leave the dogs he likes to "pick on" alone.

Seriously? After what everyone is telling you here? "... he is begging to go to the dog park... The guy just loves to run?" Maybe he just loves the freedom to chase down and bully other animals. You said you are new to this breed. Take heed, ignorance is not bliss. You have a world class Formula One race car, and you need to understand how wonderful - and dangerous - it can be. Re-think your motives in taking him to the park. Also, if you have not done so already, please read the current GT post "Dog on Dog Aggression at the Dog Park." Love your new boy Ace, give him sufficient exercise everyday, teach him how to have good dog manners, make good decisions for him, and for goodness sakes, don't take him to the dog park.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

ummom

Have you ever heard the greyhound scream of death, or the high pitch scream of a dog or rabbit when another animal has gotten it? I have and it was 2 months after I got Maddie 6 years ago. I can still hear it. It was a bunny that she caught in our backyard, and it is the worst feeling to know that your dog has caught something. You hope that you will not have to end the poor animal's life (I did not, luckily) but I remember that day like it was yesterday. I have also been to our playgroup which is all greyhound and they all ganged up on the weakest grey in the group. I saw it from outside the fence and had to hold Maddie. WE WERE OUTSIDE THE FENCE AND I STILL HAD TO HOLD TIGHT ON HER LEASH. Yes my girl has a prey drive, and I know this. We live in a good size city that used to have you buy a pass to get into the dog park, they stopped doing that. Now anyone can go to the dog park. I never went before that and I will never go now. Too many dumb owners who "think" they know their dogs. I have seen too many dogs get injured when owners thought they were just "playing". The dogs were not playing as the owners did not read the dogs' signals and a fight broke out.

If don't take Ace to the dog park when there are other dogs there, take him by himself and let him run alone if he is "begging you to go there" . As others have stated, go to the Lexus Project website and see the REASON WHY IT WAS STARTED.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest KennelMom

Aside from endangering him by being the only dog muzzled, you think you are somehow protecting him with the muzzle so he can't hurt any other dog in the "first 15 minutes," but you are actually doing the opposite. I PROMISE YOU if he does ANYTHING to another dog, he's going down in a major way if the other owner presses the issue. What they will say is: You KNEW he was AGGRESSIVE, which is why you needed to MUZZLE him at all.

And if it goes to court, you will probably lose. The only problem with that, is your dog might have to pay with his life. Or, Robin and her husband will have another case for the Lexus Project.

If a dog has to be muzzled at the dog park b/c of their behavior, they do not belong at a dog park. Period.

Greyhounds don't tend to play like other dogs. They tend to get hurt by other breeds more BECAUSE the play style is different. If you wanted a dog park dog, you should have gotten a lab.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest LindsaySF

Agreed with KennelMom's post above.

Threads/owners like this are why the Lexus Project will always be in business and why Greyhounds have such an aggressive reputation. *sigh*

I wonder what the adoption group thinks. And 4 little kids under the age of 11 are at the dog park too? Yeah, I'm sure the Greyhound is getting great supervision there. It's only a matter of time...... :headwall

Look, I am glad you are honest enough to come back & update us. Am also glad you are not telling us you are smarter than us. There is a big difference between being smart & being lucky.

For the sake of the dogs & your kids I hope your luck holds.

Edited by kudzu

• 2 weeks later...

Greyhounds are sighthounds that have been bred for thousands of years to hunt with great speed, attack and take down game: deer, coyote, wolves, etc. They are not limited to hare, small rabbits, etc.

Most humans can't run 45 miles per hour to attempt to stop one dog from nailing another dog in a dog park. (This includes the reverse scenario of trying to save the "only muzzled dog" in a dog park from a dog pack, or an individual dog attacking a muzzled hound.)

Greyhounds have tunnel vision when fixed on their prey target. It would be a rare Greyhound who could be recalled in the high adrenaline competition in a dog park.

Greyhounds are sprinters. A race lasts approximately 30 seconds. They do not need excessive running time in a dog park. They do very well taking brisk leashed walks (and/or a brief romp in their own fenced yard) without risking other people's dogs.

Like most other posters, I have many stories I could share about dog park incidents; dogs seriously injured, or killed, dogs forming pack attacks on other dogs, dogs bumping into adult size humans causing serious permanent injuries requiring surgery with long-term hospital care, dog injuries requiring thousands of dollars in veterinary surgery bills, etc. but I will save my effort.

Most dog parks have rules posted.

BTW, dog parks are breeding grounds for bacteria, virus, parasites, worms, etc. Many vets recommend washing dogs' paws thoroughly after visiting a dog park.

As others mentioned, please consider asking your adoption group if they have "muzzled Greyhound only" play dates where all Greyhounds are muzzled. Those gatherings are much safer for the thin-skinned Greyhound breed.

Guest jbbuzby

Dog parks are just such iffy places where something can go wrong in a heartbeat, even with people who have the best intentions. Some days you will be totally fine, but it takes just one dog to set off that prey instinct, or one dog who is rude or ill-behaved that tears that paper-thin skin. To me, it's just not worth it.

We are members of a dog park but it is very frequently empty, and these are the only times we go. Also, it does only take about 5-10 minutes before they are done. Once he is, we go for a walk on the nearby trail; we'll also just walk the trail if the park is occupied. I'd suggest going at obscure hours to get that running time in, and bring a fun squeaky toy.

4 kids under 11 at the dog park? Our city has banned all children under 12 from dog parks for good reason after way too many incidents.

OP, please consider the advice you are getting here.

This stuck out to me. I have greys, even consider myself "experienced" for the most part and I have 3 kids. NEVER would I take the kids with me to the dog park. It's hard enough to keep an eye on the dog than to have kids running around with dogs that I don't know as well. Early on when I got my first grey I took her to the dog park. It scared the bejeezus out of me to see her run down another dog. So, I did what you are doing... I muzzled her. Sure, she ran and played and I had to answer lots of questions why my dog had to be muzzled and then it hit me. If my kids can't play by the rules than they don't go. Heather (Kennelmom) said it best, If a dog has to be muzzled at the dog park b/c of their behavior, they do not belong at a dog park. Period. If this were another breed of dog would you just muzzle them so that you could take them to the park? You don't see others doing this. There is a reason.

If you have a strong desire to see your dog play and run, then ask around about a greyhound only play group. Just be sure that everyone muzzles and that the group isn't so large that you can't keep control. I used to use the local ball park field and would bunjee the gate closed. We limited the group to 12 greys and everyone had to be muzzled. No exceptions. I even carried extra muzzles with me.

There are greyhounds that do well at dog parks, I've seen them. But they have always been the exception and not the rule. They have also been greys that have been through months if not years of obedience training before they are allowed to go to the dog park.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Like Kamsmom, we also only run with a greyhound group. All our diamonds are fully fenced except for the 2 dugout entrances so we have portable gates that we take and install. The greyhounds are released inside, muzzled. If they want to run, they can run. If they want to just lie there or wander around, they are welcome to do that, too! And all of us watch them closely. We don't want pack drive incidents although, even with great vigilance, it does sometimes happen.

I am not an advocate of dog parks, especially with a grey.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance