She Is Timid And I Need Some Help

Guest IndyHound

Guest IndyHound

I just got goldie on Wednesday night (so I've had her for 3 days) and for the most part things are great. She's not a fan of getting into cars yet (I guess I should add that she's only been retired for 3 wks or so) which I imagine to be because most of her time in the cars have either been spent going to the vet or to a new home. So I'm not too worried about that. But she is very timid around new people. She met my parents at their house last night. And she was visibly scared, she was shaking, her tail was tucked as far as it could go and she wouldn't interact or look at my parents nor would she accept treats from them. If they visit my house she'll run up to them and let them pet and feed her. But once we leave the house it's always her quiet and shy time. My other grey views everyone as thoiugh ey were Luton this earth to pet him so I don't have any experience with they shy ones. I don't want to force her to do anything but I also don't want her to be scared of everyone and everything outside of the house. Also she will sniff me and get in my face to let me know she wants to be petted but no "kisses" have been given yet. Which I'm guessing is because she's still adjusting to us. So in short how do I help her out of her timidness.

Guest jbbuzby

I recommend having some "gold" treats around that she CAN'T resist. Things like raw beef cubes work very well, and use them for meeting new people so there is no doubt in her mind that it is fantastic to make new acquaintances. You can also skip a meal before meeting new people, and have the new people give her those tasty snacks!

Also, I'm a big fan of walking. Dogs bond by walking together, and it will help her learn to trust you as a leader, and therefore, understand that you are in control of the situation, making her less fearful in the long run (she will be much more shy if she thinks she has the weight of the world on her shoulders!). A good 30 minutes of walking, no official dinner, and super awesome treats prior to new situations should do the trick.

As for licking, she may never do it. Some greyhounds are just too dignified to do something so "doggy." My greyhound adores me (even a bit too much!), but he still has not licked my face. Sniffing my chin is as close as it gets, so don't worry about this.

And, ultimately, 3 days is very VERY short. It will probably take her a few months to really settle in! Be patient, and hang in there. Good luck!

Congratulations on adopting Goldie. We saw her on the website when the haul came in, and she was one of our favorites. Most of the hounds were adopted so fast this time that we didn't get to meet any of them.

I second the walks. She needs to get out and see new things to adjust. Some of the most fun we had when we adopted Rocket was watching him see new things for the first time. He was particularly fascinated with Big Trucks and Eighteen Wheelers. He would stand by the road on our walks and watch them for hours if we let him.

Almost everything is new to her - so she needs to establish a comfort level and a routine where she knows she is going to come back home with you, no matter where you take her. Up until now, she has been moved to someplace new each time she went for a ride, It takes time. The dog you have today will be a completely different dog in a year, but she needs that time to settle in.

Don't forget to post pictures. It's in the rules. :lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Time will take care of it. When Gizmo (our latest foster) came to us he was extremely shy. He didn't want any of us to touch him, he would run away from us. Now 3 weeks later, he comes up for ear scritches and gives us kisses. He's still a little shy of strangers but with more exposure (slowly) I know he will come around. He left for his forever home this morning and I told his new mom to expect him to revert back a bit until he gets used to her but I expect it will take less time this time around. We provided lots of treats and attention when he decided he wanted it. We didn't try and force ourselves on him in any way and we didn't try to force new people on him until he was ready.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Relax and give her time and space. She'll come around. Remember, everything is new to her. Don't force it and she will come out of her shell.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I second the advice to just give her some time first, and don't overwhelm her with too many new people and new situations yet. When I get a new dog, especially a shy one, I give them at least 1-2 weeks at my house to give them a chance to settle in to a familiar environment and routine and start to learn to trust me. I don't even try to take the dog anywhere or have her meet new people until after this period.

Too much, too fast can make a shy dog worse. The best thing you can do is to give her time to adjust at her own pace. This doesn't mean to completely shield her from anything that will scare her, but expose her to new things gradually, and don't overdo it. If you just give her some time, you'll probably find that she's a completely dog in a couple weeks.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Licking isn't actually "kissing." :colgate

I've had George for four years. He smiles (curls his upper lip, shows all is teeth) and wags his tail and jumps around when I come home, so I THINK he likes me OK, and I assure you, if he were ever to lick me, it would mean I had food on my face! He has NEVER given me a "kiss."

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Time time time time time. And then some more time time time time time. It sounds like she likes you already, now you just need to build on it. Don't rush. You know how I think of it for them? -- imagine if you were kidnapped by freaky looking aliens who don't speak your language and don't look like you. And they take you to their planet which is completely unfamiliar. And there's none of your own kind around. Imagine how you would feel. I think I'd be anxious and shy, too.

And Summer doesn't "kiss", either. At first, I was disappointed but for us, it's a good thing. I wouldn't want a therapy dog licking all the old people! :lol

Congratulations and have fun! It's so exciting when they don't know anything!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest greyers

Having been the owner of several true "spooks" who were in multiple homes before mine, I would say Goldie is doing terrific! The fact that she is taking treats from strangers inside your own home is wonderful!

For us, our spooky dogs all benefitted from a calm other dog in the house to help them realize they don't need to worry about everything, 3-4 walks for bonding every day, high value treats like liverwurst brought on walks to reward them when they make it through "tough" situations and a ton of patience, reassurance and time!

You are doing great and Goldie is doing fabulous so far. Just give time, treats, love, bonding opportunities and have patience..

My first greyhound was very timid and shy. I will just add to what everyone else has said, all she really needs is time. Don't ecpect too much of her too soon, take it slow, and she will get much more comfortable. Sugar was always shy, and timid in new situations, but she got much, much better over time, and at home she became a true nut job, roaching and grinning :lol

Congratulations on your new girl! As Judy said, time will change this. I have a very shy girl, but as she grew to trust me and others, she has come out of her shell. She actually has a really big goofy personality, but I honestly didn't know that for quite a while. These dogs have to "learn" how to be pets, they were professional athletes and their whole lives, up until now, revolved around that. The routine and the rules have changed, so they are working hard to get their bearings and learn.

I can't find it, but maybe someone here on GT can post the story of what their life has been like up until now. It really helps to know where they've come from to where they are now. It helped me understand their "perspective" quite a bit.

ETC To spell Judy's name right!

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest IndyHound

Mostly I've been out of my element. Beckett my 4 yr male grey came to me after being fostered for four months. So I've not interacted with a fresh off the truck grey before. But thank you all for the great advice

I adopted my girl 3 months ago. She was *very* shy and spooked by strange things. Now she's a total people person. Every person she sees is a potential new best friend. The same with dogs. Since I don't have a fenced yard we always walk, and people just love to oooh and ahhh over her, making a big fuss, which I'm sure helped tremendously in her giving up being shy. She has never licked me...not on the hand, the chin or my face and that suits me. Do you *know* where that tongue has been? :P Not for me, thank you.

None of my current greys lick and I am very grateful. I had one who licked and I had to teach her to not lick me. The neighborhood kids loved her "kisses" and encouraged her. Ugg!

Guest BrianRke

Relax and give her time and space. She'll come around. Remember, everything is new to her. Don't force it and she will come out of her shell.

Exactly!