Frontline Vs Others

Guest verthib

Guest verthib

I would like to explore the possibility of changing my dogs over from Frontline to another flea/tick med. I really don't like FL. My dogs lose fur in the treatment sites, the stuff stays sticky for days and doesn't dissipate/spread. When it finally dries, it turns white and flakes off. It's so gross. I know greys are sensitive to various meds. Do any of you have safe alternatives that you've had good results with? I need something for deer ticks, not only fleas.

If you want one with tick protection in it, I started using K9 Advantix this year. I checked with OSU first if it was safe and that's the one they use, with no reactions from any hound. So I went ahead with it. My opinion is: it works fine, Summer has had no reactions BUT it is greasier than what I used to use and takes a couple of days for the greasiness to go away. The product I used last year on her was Revolution but it doesn't do ticks.

Here's a blurb from their website: K9 Advantix® II provides protection from more biting pests than Frontline® Plus.1 It not only kills ticks, fleas and mosquitoes, it also repels them! It also kills lice and repels nasty biting flies.

I know you can't use it on cats (well, why would anyone put something labelled K9 on their cat anyway?) but I am not sure if you can use it on a dog if a cat also lives in the house or not. If you have a cat, I would investigate that.

Edit: I forgot to mention. I read that if you apply a Vitamin E capsule after you apply the topical, that it reduces/eliminates a reaction. I've never had to try it so I don't know but that is what I've read.

Here's the blurb from the packaging:

Repels and kills ticks including Deer ticks (vector of Lyme disease), American dog ticks (vector of Rocky Mountain spotted fever), Brown dog ticks (vector of Ehrlichiosis), and Lone Star ticks (vector of Ehrlichiosis) for up to four weeks

· Repels and kills all life stages of fleas

· Prevents fleas on treated dogs from infesting your home

· Kills fleas on dogs within 12 hours and continues to prevent infestations for a month

· Prevents development of fleas, flea eggs, pupae and larvae for a month

· Larval flea stages in the dog’s surroundings are killed following contact with a K9 Advantix® II treated dog

· Repels and kills mosquitoes for up to four weeks

· Repels and prevents blood-feeding by biting flies

· Waterproof

· 5-way protection against ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, biting flies and lice

· Kills chewing lice

Also, the website does not say you can't use it in a household which includes a cat. BUT if your cat grooms a recently treated dog, that can have serious harmful effects.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest myboys2

I belong to REGAP and they use Sentinal on the older dogs that might be sensitive to some things. Once again, Sentinal is ok but does not cover the range Frontline does. Maybe go back to plain Frontline instead of Frontline Plus??? My vet says K-9 Advantix is good also, safe for GH's. The Monigold Greyt's xoxox B)

My adoption organization recommended K9 Advantix II for Extra Large Dogs. It treats ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, biting flies and lice. It is a bit greasy but I assume that's part and parcel of an applied treatment. I don't use an entire tube. I use half, maybe a bit less, and put it on her neck/back in four spots. That amount works and creates smaller grease spots.

Don't want to be a pest but it's really better to use the whole dose than half -- ensures you kill any creepies encountered and not just the more susceptible ones.

We have had good results with Frontline. To minimize the greasies, I take the tube, start at the base of the tail, and do a swoop up to the shoulder blades rather than putting it all in one spot. With a longer/thicker-haired dog, I make sure to keep the tip of the tube against the skin so I'm not squirting the stuff on top of the hair. Of my current dogs, one is a little sticky for @ 24 hours; the other, @ 6.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yes, I also do multiple spots. I think there's waaay to much product for just one spot. And use all the product, not just part of it (assuming that you have purchased the size appropriate for your dog's weight).

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I have always used Frontline. I don't like it much, and I REALLY don't like the price :lol

My vet recently told me about a flea collar that's different from your typical flea collar (which clearly I have stayed away from since flea collars are known to be unsafe for greys) and suggested it as an alternative to Frontline. It's not as messy and it's cheaper too. She gave me a brochure but I wanted to check it was definitely safe for greys first. I don't remember the name of it... Scalibor or something..?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Instructions on the Advantix II advises to do multiple spots. I used half the tube on the advice of my vet. She has two Greys herself and never gives the full tube because in her opinion, it's overkill and as we all know our Greys don't need more meds than necessary.

Edited by Feisty49

Please note! You must not use Advantix if you have a cat! It says so on the package, I think, but it bears repeating!

I've never had any sticky or flaking or white residue with Frontline Plus, and I've been using it forever!

What I make sure to do is part the hair and pour it on the skin. I do put it all in one place, but I do it in small squirts! I also take him for a walk right after so he doesn't lay down and it doesn't dribble off of him!

Preventic collars are safe and very effective for ticks. Frontline doesn't repel ticks--never has. It will kill them though. I think Advantix is the only topical that repels ticks. Alas, I have cats and cannot use it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

One of my dogs had a bad reaction to the Advantix. I have been buying the generic Frontine, Pet Armour. You can get it at Walmart, Walgreens and the on-line pet med shops have their own generics. It runs about half price. The ingredient list is exactly the same.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest peacehound

friend tried the generic version of frontline and ended up with a house full of fleas and several trips to the vet. Her vet told her while the main ingredient is the same, the inert ingredients are not and the stuff tends to stay in one area on the body and not disperse like it should..I have no experience with the stuff, was tempted to try it before my friend had all these problems..she went back to frontline

I know you can't use it on cats (well, why would anyone put something labelled K9 on their cat anyway?)

You'd be surprised what some people will do... I believe the reason Bayer decided to name it K9 Advantix, instead of just plain Advantix, was for this very reason.

Sentinal is ok but does not cover the range Frontline does.

The only thing Sentinel does for fleas is prevent eggs from hatching, so it's extra protection against getting a flea infestation on your property. It does nothing for adult fleas that your dog picks up, and absolutely nothing against ticks.

My vet recently told me about a flea collar that's different from your typical flea collar (which clearly I have stayed away from since flea collars are known to be unsafe for greys) and suggested it as an alternative to Frontline. ... Scalibor or something..?

Scalibor is marketed as a tick collar. I didn't even know it covered fleas until I just looked it up and see that it does mention killing fleas on the label. The reviews I've heard from vets who have tried it aren't great for tick efficacy, and I've never heard of anyone using it for flea control. The active ingredient is deltamethrin, which is a synthetic pyrethroid. It is supposed to be safer than permethrin or amitraz, which are the other common ingredients that kill ticks. Haven't heard anything specifically about its use in greyhounds.

Please note! You must not use Advantix if you have a cat! It says so on the package, I think, but it bears repeating!

Actually, K9 Advantix is fine to use in a home with cats, as long as you're not actually putting it on the cat, and the cat doesn't groom the dog and ingest it while the spot is fresh. Once the spot dries and spreads, even grooming isn't a problem. Here's what the product label says:

"DO NOT USE ON CATS

Due to their unique physiology and inability to metabolize certain compounds, this product must not be used on cats. If applied to a cat, or ingested by a cat which actively grooms a recently treated dog, this product may have serious harmful effects. If this occurs contact your veterinarian immediately."

I have been buying the generic Frontine, Pet Armour. You can get it at Walmart, Walgreens and the on-line pet med shops have their own generics. It runs about half price. The ingredient list is exactly the same.

The active ingredients are the same, but the inactive ingredients and carrier components are not necessarily the same. I think the jury's still out on whether the generic Frontline products work as well. I've had some clients try it who thought it wasn't as effective and went back to Frontline.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest LindsaySF

Advantix is supposed to be safe around cats once it dries. I personally don't want to take the risk with cats in the house and sharing of beds and such.

I part the hair and squirt the Frontline in several different spots. (I have found that most people don't part the hair way down to apply the product to the SKIN, they are actually applying it to the FUR. That will leave a residue). The day after application I wipe the white flakes off with a damp paper towel. After that I don't have any problems with residue.

People, if you are going to use a product like Frontline, please use the full dose. This half-dosing is probably leading to Frontline-resistant fleas and ticks....

Guest verthib

I had heard pyrethrins were not safe for greys. Also, what I don't like about frontline is that it kills ticks *after* they bite so the dog could already have gotten lyme. With advantix it repels ticks which seems safer. My cats don't groom my greys. Omg they don't go near each other or share beds. I worry about pyrthrins because my rescue said greys don't process it, similar to cats. I'm not sure what to do at this point...

Ticks (and fleas) don't need to bite for Frontline to kill them. They just need to contact the pet's coat or skin.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Wal-Mart's Pet Armour is described as comparable to Frontline's "Top Spot" topical (the product known just as "Frontline"); this is not the same thing as Frontline Plus.

There's a product comparison chart here.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest LindsaySF

Ticks and fleas don't need to bite to die, but they might not be killed immediately, so you can sometimes see a live one on a dog that's been treated with Frontline.

Ticks need to be attached for at least 24 hours to transmit Lyme. Frontline will get them long before that.

If the dogs and cats keep a safe distance (especially right after application, before it dries), you'll probably be fine with Advantix.

I had heard pyrethrins were not safe for greys.

I'm not a huge fan of pyrethrins in general, but greys aren't any more sensitive to it than other dogs. I think it says a lot that OSU uses Advantix on their greys with no problems.

Ticks need to be attached for at least 24 hours to transmit Lyme. Frontline will get them long before that.

Wish this was true, but unfortunately, it isn't. Frontline can take up to 24-48 hours to kill ticks. Ticks have to be attached for 24-48 hours to transmit Lyme. So a dog on Frontline still has the potential to get Lyme.

This was one of the main reasons why Merial recently came out with a new product called Certifect. It is Frontline, plus an added ingredient to improve the speed of tick kill. Certifect kills ticks within 6 hours. The extra ingredient is amitraz - the same active ingredient in Preventic collars. It is a low concentration of amitraz, which does not kill the ticks itself, but it makes the ticks detach (or not attach at all) and become more active on the dog. This exposes the ticks to more fipronil, which kills them. The theory behind why Frontline takes so much longer to kill ticks is because most ticks attach to one spot and don't move (vs fleas that move around on the dog all the time), so they are exposed to less fipronil.

The company is not recommending Certifect as a replacement for Frontline, which is adequate protection for most dogs. Certifect is more appropriate for dogs that are at risk of being exposed to a lot of ticks, such as outdoor dogs and hunting dogs. Or for use if you decide to take your dog hiking in a tick-infested area.

Jennifer &

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I've been happy with revolution and the preventic collar for the last 3 years. I am probably going to switch to comfortis, heartgaurd plus and the preventic collar though to help prevent more intestinal parasites since the dogs go all over with me, I foster and I'm a pet sitter.

I've been happy with revolution and the preventic collar for the last 3 years. I am probably going to switch to comfortis, heartgaurd plus and the preventic collar though to help prevent more intestinal parasites since the dogs go all over with me, I foster and I'm a pet sitter.

I used Comfortis and it works great. My dogs got fleas while out walking (stray dog in the neighborhood with fleas). The only caution I'd give is be sure to carefully read the directions. It must be given with food as it has caused some really serious side effects in dogs. If you read the cautions and directions and give an appropriate dose it really kills the fleas.

I used Comfortis and it works great. .... It must be given with food as it has caused some really serious side effects in dogs.

Can you expand on the "really serious side effects"?

Giving it with food is necessary to make sure it absorbs maximally to provide the full month of protection. It also helps to reduce the risk of vomiting. There are a small percentage of dogs that vomit (usually just once) after their first dose of Comfortis, even if given with food. And most of these dogs are fine for subsequent doses. We've been carrying Comfortis at the clinic and using it for our own dogs since it came out, and have found it to be a safe medication.

I've had a couple patients that couldn't tolerate it (had GI upset and lethargy for a few days that cleared up without treatment) even if it was given with food. For those, I just recommended not using it anymore and going back to one of the topicals. Had one owner who tried it for 4 months, with the same side effect each time, before he told me, and I told him to stop giving it! :yikes

For those of you using Comfortis and Heartgard, or Comfortis and Interceptor, ask your vet about Trifexis. It's Comfortis along with the active ingredient in Interceptor in the same tablet.

Jennifer &

gtsig3.jpg

Trifexis doesn't do anything about ticks.

I do know folks who use oral meds for fleas and a Preventic collar for ticks. I don't think you want to use a Preventic if you have cats or serious chewers? but I won't swear to the cats part.