Is It Just My Dogs....?

Guest verthib

Guest verthib

Is it just me? My dogs keep coming in after playing and have cuts all over their feet and legs. UGH! We are always cleaning up blood. I know their skin is thin but are they just clumsy? We've been putting neosporin on them and letting them heal. Is that ok?

Guest KennelMom

Not just you. Our crew is VERY active and we have a mixture of open yard and a large natural area...nicks, scratchs, dents and dings are all par for the course. Their new yard is pretty much all open grass so hopefully that will help some.

Argos ran a lot, and frequently had little nicks on his legs. Bootsy doesn't romp as often, so it's less frequent, but he does get them, even when he didn't run into anything or go through bushes. Curiouser and curiouser

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Happens here too. Hard runs have resulted part of the paw pads being shaved off, and a few weeks ago Sage was mysteriously cut on her thigh after a good run. That one required stitches.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

many vet visits with my 4 needing stitches. Most times i had no idea how they got hurt...even when im standing out there with them. Mickey has been on steroids and pain pills for a slipped cervical disk 10 days ago. I was standing outside the fence while they were heading through the gate to go inside. I heard him yelp and continue to scream when he got inside. By the time I got inside, he was quiet and holding up his front paw. I didn't see him do anything. He is fine now, but was a hurting pup for several days. Suds once ripped open a good chunk of his babk. He ripped the skin and fur right off, but i never found where he did it. I searched the yard for sharp branches or loose nails but never even found a drop of blood.

Mine dont often go with just the little nicks and scrapes...they go for the big stuff.

Guest itsagreytlife

Funny you started this thread--I was wondering the same thing. As soon as one gash on Selah's leg closes another appears. At first I chalked it up to her skin condition (ie. scratching, biting), but this is definitely from outside. I regularly go around the yard and check for any branches or things that might cause the scratches. Nothing. I feel badly because her legs look so battle-scarred. Guess its just another grey thing. :rolleyes:

Guest Swifthounds

Check the nail length and to see that they're rounded at the ends as some nicks are from nail contact when running. Absent that, it's just from contact with the environment and pretty common.

The girls don't get nicked up too bad, although they have 4 ripped-off dew claws and two broken toes between them from playing in the yard :rolleyes: Fletcher is a major klutz and always has nicks, scrapes, cuts on his feet and lower legs. I don't even medicate most of them anymore, just clean them up and keep an eye on them. So far, everything has healed up just fine.

Guest LindsaySF

Check the nail length and to see that they're rounded at the ends as some nicks are from nail contact when running. Absent that, it's just from contact with the environment and pretty common.

Agreed with this. I'll also add, if the cuts are "mouth level", muzzles would help. But chances are it's just stuff in the environment that you can't control. Darn thin Greyhound skin! It's particularly fun in the winter when the snow gets hard and crusty....

You get less of that when they get old, thank goodness!

Would you please tell Passion that?

I need to bubble wrap that girl!!

:rofl

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest verthib

Thank you all for your replies! We have part grass and part wild area (bushes, brush, small trees). I go through it often to check for stuff that could hurt them but I guess what they're going through is normal! They always wear muzzles outside by the way. The cuts are all on their feet and lower legs. I might have to buy them booties for the winter!

Our adoption group warned us that we'd become very skilled at minor wound first aid...they were right. We have a very well stocked first aid kit for the dogs but for us, we're lucky if we can find a band aid :lol

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

dogs are always bleeding some where at some time, sounds pretty normal to me. i keep a first aid kit in the kitchen- vet wrap, gauze, quick stop, neosporin, bottle of saline solution and duct tape. epsom's salts in the kitchen cabinet. metacam on the shelf near the dog treats. my vet staples the big wounds, much better than stitches.