Any Advice On Getting Eye Drops Actually In The Eyes?

Now that I am giving Katie eye drops twice a day, does anyone have any tricks or hints to make this easier on both of us? A lot of times, I get the lashes or the cheek... actually getting it in the eye is being challenging. She does get treats when I do it!

Rebecca

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

I just did it for the first time today. My best tip: DH! He held the bottom open and I held the top along with the eye drop bottle in the same hand. It worked BEAUTIFULLY! And I discovered, after I did it a few times, that I can now do it alone and she realizes what I want from her. And I never even THOUGHT of giving a treat afterwards, I'm apparently a very bad Momma. :lol

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I had to do this for the first time recently with Rocket due to his allergies.

I found the easiest way was to place one hand under his mouth and wrap the thumb aound the top of his nose to keep him from moving around. Almost as quick as you wrap your hand around, have the drops ready to go in using the other hand. I found that by guiding his head (nose) toward the ceiling slightly, and holding the drops straight up and down that they dropped right into the eye. After a couple times he figured out what I was doing, and I was actually able to get both drops into his eyes in under 5 seconds.

I also realized that you really need to guide the nose toward the ceiling to get the correct angle for the drops to go in. If the pup is looking straight ahead, the drops will roll off of the eye and go to the floor.

We keep the drops by the back door where he gets his paws wiped after being outside. By incorporating the eye drops into the paw wiping routine, he is already standing still and we don't have to chase him around the house to get them in.

Don't forget the treat afterward. :lol It will make the next time easier.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Patches eye doctor said all dog owners should teach their dogs to allow meds to be put in the eyes as you never know when it's needed. She had me just stroke over the eye & lift his head until he was comfortable with me touching near the eyes then I'd just tip his head up, hold both eye lids open & drop the drop onto the eye. He had drops for over 11 years and would come when I said "time for you drops" sometimes it just takes prctice but I've found dogs easier to do than people.

Guest goofydog

Get Em has been getting drops for several years now and when it's time all I have to do is say 'eyes' and he presents ready and willing! I tilt his head up, retract the upper lid and place the drops. He immediately gets 5-6 BilJac liver treats and this is the only time he gets those so it's his 'special' treat for eye drops.

It gets easier the more you do it so practice, practice, practice.

When Kingsley had to have eye drops, they must have really felt good, cause he would raise his head and stand there awaiting them... amazing... I can't stand eye drops, but here's Kingsley calmly asking for them.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Guest BrindleBoy

For Indy, the key is SPEED. Once I pull back his upper eyelid & tilt his head back, he won't stay there long... you need to get good at knowing exactly how much pressure to apply to the bottle to get a drop out. If "waiting for the drop" takes too long, he's done.

Get Em has been getting drops for several years now and when it's time all I have to do is say 'eyes' and he presents ready and willing! I tilt his head up, retract the upper lid and place the drops. He immediately gets 5-6 BilJac liver treats and this is the only time he gets those so it's his 'special' treat for eye drops.

It gets easier the more you do it so practice, practice, practice.

This is my method too, though pulling out the lower rather than the upper lid. It really does get easier as you both get to know what to expect! Doc had to have drops several times a day earlier this year for about three months, after injuring his eye. It took a while to heal but he became so good about the drops, and the vet examinations - must have known we were trying to help :).

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

I've now gone from OTC eyedrops (since it was Sunday and I didn't feel it was an emergency)... to a vet appointment... to a prescription eye ointment. I'd rather put in the drops!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest LindsaySF

For Indy, the key is SPEED. Once I pull back his upper eyelid & tilt his head back, he won't stay there long... you need to get good at knowing exactly how much pressure to apply to the bottle to get a drop out. If "waiting for the drop" takes too long, he's done.

Chase won't hold still for long, so I need to move quickly. I hold her face and muzzle with my hand, use the pointer finger of that hand to lift the lid, and then put the drops in quickly with my other hand.

Maybe do it the same way as you do for small children, put it in the corner of their eye, they blink and it goes in. Just a thought.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Guest bluefawn

Maybe do it the same way as you do for small children, put it in the corner of their eye, they blink and it goes in. Just a thought.

That's what I do :) But Gracie needed eye ointment a couple of months ago, and this doesn't work for ointments. But it really works great for drops!

Gustopher P Jones use to stand in the doorway of the kitchen and stare at me until I put his drops in and if I forgot he would stand there until I did it! At night he wouldn't come to bed until his drops were in. He was the compliant one about his meds. Once you've done it a few times it will become easy. Time4anap is right about tilting up the head/face.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star