Is This Kennel Cough?

DevilDog

My BF's dog, a husky/akita mix, has not been well today. Starting around 5 this afternoon, he started.. I don't know how to describe it, kind of huffing and puffing, and then retching, sometimes puking or regurgitating a thick watery substance. It looks like the stuff that Sage regurgitates when she drinks water too fast, but this is not the case with Rico.

In the past hour he's gotten worse. Every few minutes he huff and puffs, sometimes gagging/retching, sometimes throwing up that thick watery, slightly foamy substance. He otherwise seems ok, except that this is happening more frequently. Note that he is otherwise a very normal, healthy dog with no issues what so ever.

The reason I ask about kennel cough is because we found out a couple weeks ago, that someone here in the apartment complex, who frequents the dog park, her dog got kennel cough. I've kept Sage out of there since then unless the park is empty.. but both she and Rico have had the bortatella shot so...

Much confusement here, I've looked online, not really finding what this could be. He's not actually coughing, but I'm concerned about Sage as well..

Ideas?

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

I had a dog who had kennel cough once... and she never puked anything up. She would brace her legs, lower her head, her sides would pump in and out like a bellows, and she'd make a horrible noise. But it was 12 years ago now and I haven't heard that noise since, so I can't remember it clearly enough to describe it.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Sounds like the husky has something he wants to get rid of: something tickling his throat, something irritating his stomach. Could he have gotten into anything he shouldn't have eaten?

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

No there's nothing around he could have gotten in to. He usually doesn't get into things to begin with and nothing was out of place. Since I first started this thread, he had quite the episode. It sounds like a wheezing, and he's coughing up foamy stuff, which I read online is a symptom of kennel cough. We inspected him closely.. he does not have a fever, his belly seems fine, and we noticed he does have a bit of snot in his nose. I'm beginning to think this is what it is.. especially since it is now rumored to be "going around'.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe

Guest FullMetalFrank

It could be kennel cough; but then again it could be quite a few other things. Have you taken his temp, checked for dehydration, taken his pulse? (oops I just saw you said he isn't running a temp.) Unfortunately the bordatella vaccine is kind of hit or miss; it needs to be given about three weeks prior to exposure to even work and then there are different strains and not every one is going to be prevented by the vaccine. What is the weather like there? Lots of questions, I know. I don't recall you saying how old he was. I hope the poor guy is feeling better; keep a good eye on him!

He's 2 and is up to date on all shots and basically one of those bomb-proof dogs that never has any quirks or issues. The weather did change completely yesterday.. from warm and summerish to fall.. temp dropped considerably, but again, he's never had any issues before.

He's been eating a drinking normally, though he only got a small amount of dinner tonight because we weren't sure what was going on. He did not throw up dinner.

He is currently confined to the kitchen to keep him away from Sage and keep his upchuck off the carpet. I've scrubbed the food and water bowls with scalding water as well.. I'm a little nervous that if it is kennel cough, Sage could get it. They share water bowls and Rico is always cleaning Sage's face... ugh!

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

I've had seen quite a few dogs with kennel cough between fosters pulled from pounds and working at the daycare/boarding place.and no one every threw up foamy stuff. All I ever saw could be best be described as a dry hacking cough, but I'm not a vet and don't play one on TV.

My personal (albeit unscientific theory) based on observations over the years is that healthy dogs in a home environment like Sage are not very likely to get kennel cough from another dog that has it. I think that most cases of kennel cough have a link to the stress of boarding/pound environment where the stress wears down their immune system. Again that is just my crackass theory, but believe it if you can sleep a bit better tonight. Kennel cough, in my experience is generally annoying, but not life threatening.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Yea, maybe we're a bit paranoid because of that particular dog at the park who got it. We're not terribly concerned.. it doesn't "feel" like an emergency. Kennel cough or not, it does seem like wheezing and then he's expelling that thick watery stuff.. almost phlemy. So I feel like it could be cold related. Oddly enough, I ended up with a cold a few days ago. Anyway! We're going to watch him and go from there.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Just an FYI-- kennel cough aka bordetella is an airborne bug-- keep Sage in another room. Also, I read you claimed Rico had be given the bordetella vaccine--the vaccine can and is sometimes given every 6 months and it still doesn't mean he'll have 100% protection-- no vaccine can make that claim.

To me it does sound like kennel cough and a vet visit is in order for antibiotics and a cough surpressant.

Guest KennelMom

kennel cough went through our pack several years ago...we had 10 (or so) dogs at the time, but only a few had symptoms...a dry, hacking, persistent cough. I don't remember anyone gacking up foamy stuff. It's airborne so most likely Sage has already been exposed (if it is KC)...if they share toys or beds or the other dog's just been coughing in the house.

Bordatella is pretty much useless as a vaccine. Some strains are covered, but not all. All of our dogs were up to date at the time they got KC and it didn't seem to keep them from coming down with it. Now I only get it if a dog has to have it for some sort of activity requirement OR if my vet specifically recommended it due to other medical conditions.

There's not much a vet can do....a cough suppressant perhaps. In a senior or immuno-suppressed dog, there's more of a concern that it could progress to more serious conditions, but in an otherwise healthy dog it'll just run it's course - Kinda like the flu in people. Obviously, if you suspect KC don't take either dog to areas where they could expose other dogs to it (like the park). If you take them to the vet, make sure you tell the staff before you arrive that you suspect KC...most won't want you hanging out in the waiting room!

There's not much a vet can do....a cough suppressant perhaps. In a senior or immuno-suppressed dog, there's more of a concern that it could progress to more serious conditions, but in an otherwise healthy dog it'll just run it's course - Kinda like the flu in people.

More than one vet has told me to use Robitussin DM, but only at night so we all could sleep.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

talk to your vet! the husky could stand a visit to clear things up. if it is, KC, it's wait and see. last winter my friend lost a dog to it, it developed into pneumonia, she has 10 dogs, 4 had it, 6 showed no signs of KC. one day of waiting is not going to make a difference, no reason to run to the E VET since there is no fever, but call or go. but if the husky is hacking up foamy stuff and thinking about the season, it could be a heavy post nasal drip...ragweed and mold are really high these days. a squirt of lemon juice down the throat breaks up all the mucos, but i wouldn't fool around w/ KC in the area.

How is Rico this morning? Hopefully his symptoms have dissipated.

I've had many a dog, mine or foster, come out of the shelter with kennel cough. None of these dogs were Greyhounds. I wouldn't describe their symptoms as a dry, hacking cough. They did something akin to a combo of reverse sneeze, wheeze & cough, quickly followed by gag/retch & a mouth wide open vomit action that sometimes yielded anywhere from a tiny amount of thin mucus-like fluid to a somewhat larger amount that had a foamy appearance. Some did it only occasionally but others much more frequently.

From your description kc certainly seems possible. The dogs I've had with kennel cough seem to recover in the same length of time with or without vet treatment. Also, a few of those dogs symptoms developed shortly after arriving in our house meaning my dogs were already exposed. Yet none of my own dogs got kc, regardless of whether they'd had the vaccine within the last 6 mos or not.

The problem, of course, is knowing whether this really is kc or not. If he were my dogs I would take to the e-vet if symptoms continue to get worse. Otherwise, if symptoms are not noticeably improved by tomorrow AM I would definitely get him to the vet tomorrow. If at any point his appetite turns South or he develops a fever I would get him to the vet quickly.

Guest Swifthounds

kennel cough went through our pack several years ago...we had 10 (or so) dogs at the time, but only a few had symptoms...a dry, hacking, persistent cough. I don't remember anyone gacking up foamy stuff. It's airborne so most likely Sage has already been exposed (if it is KC)...if they share toys or beds or the other dog's just been coughing in the house.

Bordatella is pretty much useless as a vaccine. Some strains are covered, but not all. All of our dogs were up to date at the time they got KC and it didn't seem to keep them from coming down with it. Now I only get it if a dog has to have it for some sort of activity requirement OR if my vet specifically recommended it due to other medical conditions.

There's not much a vet can do....a cough suppressant perhaps. In a senior or immuno-suppressed dog, there's more of a concern that it could progress to more serious conditions, but in an otherwise healthy dog it'll just run it's course - Kinda like the flu in people. Obviously, if you suspect KC don't take either dog to areas where they could expose other dogs to it (like the park). If you take them to the vet, make sure you tell the staff before you arrive that you suspect KC...most won't want you hanging out in the waiting room!

:nod

It reallly doesn't sound like any kennel cough I've seen.

Guest KennelMom

There's not much a vet can do....a cough suppressant perhaps. In a senior or immuno-suppressed dog, there's more of a concern that it could progress to more serious conditions, but in an otherwise healthy dog it'll just run it's course - Kinda like the flu in people.

More than one vet has told me to use Robitussin DM, but only at night so we all could sleep.

yeah...our vet gave us a cough suppressant, but the same advice. Use it at night if we needed to so we could all sleep.

How is Rico this morning? Hopefully his symptoms have dissipated.

I've had many a dog, mine or foster, come out of the shelter with kennel cough. None of these dogs were Greyhounds. I wouldn't describe their symptoms as a dry, hacking cough. They did something akin to a combo of reverse sneeze, wheeze & cough, quickly followed by gag/retch & a mouth wide open vomit action that sometimes yielded anywhere from a tiny amount of thin mucus-like fluid to a somewhat larger amount that had a foamy appearance. Some did it only occasionally but others much more frequently.

This is what he's been doing. ^^^

So, We did give Rico Robitussen overnight. It definitely helped. He would quiet down and then have episodes where it sounded like he would cough a lung up.. and yes, by this morning, the wheeze had developed into a full blown hoarse coughing. My BF brought him to my vet, which is an E vet. They have reasonable pricing. He just came back with an antibiotic and cough tabs.. the vet said it was kennel cough, and I'm now thrilled beyond words.

I know Sage has already been exposed, but is there ANYTHING I can do to help her fight it??? Start giving her antibiotics anyway?

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Guest KennelMom

not sure about incubation period, but I wouldn't give Sage antibiotics unless she was prescribed them. There's no guarantee that the abx will help anyway...KC can be viral. Just like the flu, there's nothing you can really do except rest and eat well.

eta: our vet told me to pick up all of the toys in the house until everyone was better and to wash them with some bleach before putting them back down.

Edited by KennelMom

My understanding (not a vet either, work in human medicine) is KC is just plain old viral bronchitis. Miserable for the patient and pet-parent, usually non-fatal but like any respiratory illness can progress to the lungs and become a viral pneumonia; however it usually doesn't. the abx are to prevent secondary infection and the cough med is for his comfort and your sleep. Sage may get it. As he coughs he expels virion in to the air and if she's close by she can inhale the virus. Just the risk you take going out in public yourself. If you walk through a sneeze cloud and inhale rhinotrachial virus, you're gonna get a head cold 3-10 days later unless you've had that particular virus before. Almost all viral illnesses are one shot deals.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Crap crap crap. We have Dewey in 3 weeks!!!! nonononononono.

I of course don't want her to get it, but if she does, it needs to be now so it's over and done with by then!

My major question is, if she DOESN'T end up getting it, then obviously she isn't carrying it right? So after Rico gets better, say 10 days, and Sage never gets it, we're good to go right?? I'm freaking here.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Doesn't sound like kennel cough to me either, and as someone already said, it travels by air, so you can clean and scrub the dishes all you like, but it's the airborne particles when the dog coughs that spread it.

My dog just got a kennel cough vaccine yesterday--and they told me it was good for a year. I normally don't get it, but with my Dad on death's door I needed George to be kennel ready if necessary, and they won't take him unless he's had it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I had 4 dogs with kennel cough - one right after the other. The first got it after he came home from the vets and kindly gave it to the others. Mine had the mucousy vomit and lots of it - a real treat to walk in if you got up during the night and forgot to turn the light on. They all recovered, but it was a few sleepless nights before they did. Hope he's feeling better soon.