Shampoo Reccomendation

Poor Rocket is itching, licking paws, scratching under his chin and generally miserable. He usually only gets a bath when he is boarded, so we have never had to give one here at home. Trying to determine the best shampoo that might also help with the itching, but still be ok for a Greyhound.

We gave him some benadryl this morning since he is so miserable, and am hoping that along with a bath things will settle out. He has been walking through tall grass and dry weeds on our walks, but there are no signs of fleas, ticks etc... I'm really thinking he just has some pollen or other irritants on him since he is concentrating the scratching under his chin on on his paws. No other changes to food or anything at home, so a bath and benadryl will be the first course of action.

Anyone have a favorite dog shampoo, or should we just use baby shampoo to try and rid him of the allergens?

Fortunately, there is a walk-in shower in our basement, so half the battle of the bath will be keeping it from becoming a walk-out shower. :lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Try one of the Nova Pearls shampoos--look for one for itching. I've used both oatmeal and coal tar shampoos with decent success.

But if he has seasonal allergies, the allergans are in the air, not his fur.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Try one of the Nova Pearls shampoos--look for one for itching. I've used both oatmeal and coal tar shampoos with decent success.

But if he has seasonal allergies, the allergans are in the air, not his fur.

Thanks! - I will look for those. He normally has no problem with this type of thing, but our walking route has a ton of weeds and clumps of high grass on it this year. The HOA must have cut back the mowing schedule. This boy has to sniff and walk through every patch of tall grass he finds. I think some of this stuff is starting to bloom again after a hot dry spell, so the weeds are especially potent right now.

The benadryl this morning has significantly reduced the scratching and itching, so it likes like we might be on the right course of action.

Thanks again - High Fours to George!!!! (that's like a high five, but with a paw :lol )

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Ketachlor, Relief (now called Comfort shampoo0. There's a very nice rinse I like to use--Resicort. Most of these products should be available via your vet.

Thanks - will check these out.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I work as a groomer and for dogs with allergies or skin issues i normally just do a good straight water rinse (5-10 minutes) and then if the dogs skin is not to irritated i use Earth Bath hypo allergenic or oatmeal shampoos to remove any dirt/oils and sooth the skin.

I work as a groomer and for dogs with allergies or skin issues i normally just do a good straight water rinse (5-10 minutes) and then if the dogs skin is not to irritated i use Earth Bath hypo allergenic or oatmeal shampoos to remove any dirt/oils and sooth the skin.

Thanks. I am heading out to the pet store this evening and see what they have in stock. We are in an area where even the big chains have smaller stores and limited stock, but will definitely find something mild with oatmeal to help with the itch.

Talked to our boarding person this afternoon, and they are seeing a lot of this due to the hot dry weather and lots of weeds.

Thanks for the replies.

I use baby shampoo but those others ideas were good too :colgate If he was in a lot of tall weeded area makes sure he has no signs of ivy. We get a lot of that around here. Lexie wanted me to tell you to tell Rocket that she hopes he feels better soon but she intends to stay away cause she doesn't want to catch any cooties :yikes:inlove so no :kiss2 for awhile. a nice sotthing :bath will help. Hope u feel less itchy real soon my soon to be son(dog) in law

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

I use baby shampoo but those others ideas were good too :colgate If he was in a lot of tall weeded area makes sure he has no signs of ivy. We get a lot of that around here. Lexie wanted me to tell you to tell Rocket that she hopes he feels better soon but she intends to stay away cause she doesn't want to catch any cooties :yikes:inlove so no :kiss2 for awhile. a nice sotthing :bath will help. Hope u feel less itchy real soon my soon to be son(dog) in law

Now Lexie....Cooties are part of marriage...:lol Ya gotta take the good with the bad.....

I couldn't find any of the shampoos mentioned by others locally, but did find a shampoo called "Bobbi's Itchy Dog" that has Tea Tree Oil, Flaxseed oil, Oatmeal and Aloe Vera in it. Rocket is going to smell like a Pina Colada later.....:lol

How is Rocket doing? How did the bath go? Does he smell nice? :lol:lol Hope it helps the itching

I think he's better. Still a little scratching but not nearly what it was. The bath resulted in much stinkeye - but he actually stood still for it and did a happy dance later - so I think it helped. We just got home, and he no longer smells like a wet dog...:lol Going to check all of my shoes since he was here alone after the bath.....:lol

Along with frequent bathing for my allergy dog I give him claritin-- it's been a huge help-- he's so much more comfortable. I give 10mgs in the morning and 5mgs in the pm- ask your vet if this would be appropriate for your hound. The allergens are sooooo bad this year.

Along with frequent bathing for my allergy dog I give him claritin-- it's been a huge help-- he's so much more comfortable. I give 10mgs in the morning and 5mgs in the pm- ask your vet if this would be appropriate for your hound. The allergens are sooooo bad this year.

Thanks! I was planning to call the vet today to ask about Claritin or anything else she would like me to use. The Benadryl makes him really sleepy, even at low doses.

We have huge clumps of weeds with litle flowers on them in the neighborhood. We have a number of lots that aren't built on yet, so weeds are prevalent on our walking tour. I have never seen them as bad as they are this year.

i found out that just rinsing the allergens off w/ plain water seems to do the trick. occasional bathing, but keeping them as pollen free really helps. my welsh terrier had awful hot spots in the fall, it was not fleas, it was a reaction to the environment, be it ragweed, mold in the earth or what ever. welshies rarely need baths but boy do they love water. so, i hosed him down daily and his late summer fall problem was solved. i know having allergies myself a shower and even just rinsing my hair really helps. i try to keep the shampooing to a minimum w/ the dogs.

Rocket seems a bit better today. When he woke up yesterday, his eyes were puffy around the edges - he has eyeliner markings so it was very obvious. Took him to the vet - no fleas or mites, just allergies and he had a couple of small scabs from scratching. Vet put him on Hydroxyzine and an antibiotic, as well as some eye drops for 5 days. The allergy med makes him sleepy, but he does seem a litttle better, and the eye drops cleared up his puffiness with the first drops that were put in.

We are wiping paws, legs etc, and using a washcloth on him when he comes in. He's not thrilled about water, so he has compromised and will let us use a washcloth for a cookie. :lol It also costs a cookie to put eye drops in. :lol He knows how to work the system.

Well, SOMEBODY has to pay! :lol

Hope he is 100% back to himself soonest.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Rocket seems a bit better today. When he woke up yesterday, his eyes were puffy around the edges - he has eyeliner markings so it was very obvious. Took him to the vet - no fleas or mites, just allergies and he had a couple of small scabs from scratching. Vet put him on Hydroxyzine and an antibiotic, as well as some eye drops for 5 days. The allergy med makes him sleepy, but he does seem a litttle better, and the eye drops cleared up his puffiness with the first drops that were put in.

We are wiping paws, legs etc, and using a washcloth on him when he comes in. He's not thrilled about water, so he has compromised and will let us use a washcloth for a cookie. :lol It also costs a cookie to put eye drops in. :lol He knows how to work the system.

Dear rocket my lub :wub:

uze make sure u work that hooman system. Dontz let them get away with treating your owies with nuttin less than 2 cookies per drop and tell daddyman more scoops of ice cream is suppose to help clear up the itchies faster :unsure

your girl

lexie

Dear rocket my lub :wub:

uze make sure u work that hooman system. Dontz let them get away with treating your owies with nuttin less than 2 cookies per drop and tell daddyman more scoops of ice cream is suppose to help clear up the itchies faster :unsure

your girl

lexie

Lexie mah lub :inlove

I wuz up all night scratching. Daddyman sez itz da ragweed all over our development. Momma and Daddyman tried to help, but nothin' worked. Then today after mah walkie, da horror of all horrors. I gotz anudder baff. Da 2nd one dis week! it did help, but I think I needz anudder cookie. :dunno

Lubs,

Yur Rocketman

We have a similar problem here with allergies and we use cybercanine.com shampoo bathe with but I think Earthbath is ok altho heavily fragranced. Most important though is to rinse with apple cider vinegar using 1/4 cup to 1/2 gal water and use as last rinse and do NOT rinse out. Take my word for it, he will not smell of vinegar. Using the ACV rinses the coat thoroughly, alleviates itching and makes it nice and shiny. brit

We have a similar problem here with allergies and we use cybercanine.com shampoo bathe with but I think Earthbath is ok altho heavily fragranced. Most important though is to rinse with apple cider vinegar using 1/4 cup to 1/2 gal water and use as last rinse and do NOT rinse out. Take my word for it, he will not smell of vinegar. Using the ACV rinses the coat thoroughly, alleviates itching and makes it nice and shiny. brit

Funny that you posted this this afternoon. About an hour before your post I decided to try apple cider vinegar after we heard from a friend who has "been there done that" with every dog illness and remedy over the years.

I mixed 1/2 apple cider vinegar and half water into a new spray bottle and sprayed him down after our walk. I let him air dry after that. He did scratch a few more times, but it appears to have helped tremendously, as he has been sound asleep for the last 90 minutes and hasn't gotten up to scratch. That's about the longest he's slept without having an itch in a few days. He's going to get sprayed down again after our evening walk. The concentration is a little stronger than the mix you suggested, and I will probably mix a weaker solution tomorrow after these intitial treatments if it continues to work for him.

He does smell kind of like pickles though. :colgate

Thanks for the post.

Guest SusanP

I'm going to try the vinegar/water rinse--on myself as well as the dogs! I have two boys with ragweed itchies, and no anti-itch shampoos we've tried do much, but we are having better luck with Tavist as an antihistimine (2x/day) than we ever did with Benedryl. Because DS and I are also very allergic to ragweed, we keep the house completely closed up and air conditioned from now until frost and spend as little time outside as possible. It all helps to a degree, but winter is the only sure cure!

dear rocket my lub :wub:

I herds it thru the grapes vines that u smells like pickles..yuummmm..Hopes u starting to feels better, I hears a lot of talk over hear about me having to packs stuff up. I thinks da hoomans are going on a trip without me :angry: I wills let ya knowz..

your girl,

Lexie :rolleyes: