Ronan Has Osteo

Guest 2Brindles

I sprinkled powered powdered liver on Phene's food when his appetite was down. It's available in any pet supply store. I also added lots of chicken broth.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest snakes

Sorry to hear about Ronan. :(

Thought I would just briefly tell our story, FedX was diagnosed early Jan, I did not want to do Amp due to his other health concerns and defiantly did not want him to go through chemo or radiation. So we are doing palliative care (on month 7 right now!). I did not do a FNA, my rationale was that it wouldn't change the care I would provide to him. We have a combination of pain meds of gabapentin, Novox, and tramadol. We started pamidronate recently with fantastic results (details in osteo thread). Overall my thoughts were to keep him comfortable and happy, so far so good, we have been very very lucky. Also he did loose his appetite for the first few days after initial diagnosis, i think it was combination of a IM pain injection he got at the vet and the new pain, that subsided and he is eating like a horse again. Sometimes I think they have to come to terms with their condition just like we do. Good luck!

Guest 2Brindles

I got an insanely rapid response back from OSU; unfortunately they would need to see the original x-rays as my scanner did not create usable reproductions. :/ I can't part with the films until after I have seen Dr. Gilley in Middletown on Monday.

Does your vet have a digital version of them that they can send off?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I am sorry to read of Ronan's diagnosis. I wish you and your boy lots of quality time together. You are his best friend and he trusts you to make the right decisions, whatever they are, for him.

G-d bless.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I got an insanely rapid response back from OSU; unfortunately they would need to see the original x-rays as my scanner did not create usable reproductions. :/ I can't part with the films until after I have seen Dr. Gilley in Middletown on Monday.

If you put the film up on your vets x-ray view box you can take a digital picture of them and send that to OSU--suprisingly they reproduce pretty well.

Also, along with the Rimadyl I would start your hound on Tramadol and possibly consider Gabapentin at this point.

Guest 2Brindles

I will write down the names of the meds that people have shared on this thread. He ate his dinner and every single cookie that he scammed out of me today :) He is drinking too. I am very impatient for Monday to get here!!! I will take pictures of the images when Dr. Gilley examines them on Monday. I will ask for more x-rays then too.

Thank you for sharing your story. It's reassuring to read of another hound who has survived so long with palliative care.

Sorry to hear about Ronan. :(

Thought I would just briefly tell our story, FedX was diagnosed early Jan, I did not want to do Amp due to his other health concerns and defiantly did not want him to go through chemo or radiation. So we are doing palliative care (on month 7 right now!). I did not do a FNA, my rationale was that it wouldn't change the care I would provide to him. We have a combination of pain meds of gabapentin, Novox, and tramadol. We started pamidronate recently with fantastic results (details in osteo thread). Overall my thoughts were to keep him comfortable and happy, so far so good, we have been very very lucky. Also he did loose his appetite for the first few days after initial diagnosis, i think it was combination of a IM pain injection he got at the vet and the new pain, that subsided and he is eating like a horse again. Sometimes I think they have to come to terms with their condition just like we do. Good luck!

Please do get the Tramadol and Gabapentin right away. I personally would be having him on Tram and the Rimidyl right now. I'm so sorry this is happening. I have done it with two which is two to many.

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Holding your boy in our thoughts and hopes.

He still managed to eat the cat food that had been left down though/quote] Boys will be boys. :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest 2Brindles

This evening when I let Ronan and Molly out to pee, Ronan wanted to do zoomies! :eek I had to reign him in, but I seeing him so playful makes me happy and sad at the same time, if that makes sense.

Guest buttonwillow

Hugs to you and Ronan. I love the name, it's my little human nephew's name :)

Has anyone read The Emperor of All Maladies? It's the history of cancer, and it's very interesting. Human-centric but fascinating. I am only about 1/3 through so far, but have learned a lot. And it stays interesting throughout.

Please do get the Tramadol and Gabapentin right away. I personally would be having him on Tram and the Rimidyl right now. I'm so sorry this is happening. I have done it with two which is two to many.

:nod Lesser risk of side effects with these meds. I would at least consider a lower dose of Rimadyl in conjunction with these.

Please feel free to join us in the osteo thread. I'm so sorry for your boy's dx.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."