All Of A Sudden Nervous

Guest BlackandTan

Guest LakeJenny060609

So my wife and I just got our 2 yr old girl last weekend and she has been so affectionate we were a little confused because everyone kept saying she would be shy/scared and nervous for a while. So Wednesday I was outside weed wacking with her out there and since then she seems nervous around me. Last night i gave her a hug and she nipped me on the nose and yelped. She has been yelping if i love her to much I dont know if this is something that she will grow out of because it is all so new or if i just need to all together show less love to her?

Thanks So Much

I will be posting another topic regarding night time, which I need a lot of help with

The weed whacker could have unsettled her a bit. That effect will probably wear off.

I'm sorry you got nipped! Usually I advise people:

- Don't hug the dog.

- Don't bend over the dog from the front. If you need to bend over the dog, approach from the side.

- Don't kiss the dog.

- Don't pet the dog when the dog is lying on his/her bed. Call him/her to you instead.

In time, you may well be able to do all of those things without alarming your girl, but they are basically threatening acts to a dog so I would hold off for now.

Congratulations on your new pup!

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Congrats on your new pup!

I agree with what Batmom said above. Weed whackers are noisy contraptions anyway, so that might have unsettled her. Also, she hasn't been with you long, and it is normal for your girl to be jumpy and afraid until she settles in and takes stock of her new surroundings. I would definitely try to observe her body language and if she is giving you whale eye, or lip-licking, or stress-yawning, give her some space, don't hug her or kiss her or lean over her or do anything that is likely to make her more nervous. Remember that our evolution is different, we are just like apes in that we love to hug and we're very frontal when showing affection. Canines, on the other hand, like to approach from the side, and are generally not comfortable with frontal encounters. Many of our animal companions end up getting used to our ape-like ways :lol: and eventually tolerate it well and end up not minding too much. But it's not really natural behavior for them, so it takes an adjustment. So doing that when they're already nervous about something.else is something to avoid.

When Sagan first came to live with us, I forgot myself one day and tried to tickle/scratch the inside of his leg - a game I play with Merlin, I even blow raspberries on them :rolleyes: - and whoa! I got a reality check. He gave me whale eye and freaked out. Poor boy, of course he would! He had never been in a situation where anyone had shown him affection by tickling his leg. He must have thought I was barking mad (pardon the pun :P). Eventually he got used to being touched and kissed and now he is 100% fine with it and even seeks it out.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest LakeJenny060609

Yah I should have known better! Thanks so much. I will have to give her more time and remember that she is not used to this kind of affection.

What MerlinsMum and Batmom said, I agree with 100%.

And remember, NEVER bend over her when she's asleep on her bed, the couch, anywhere. They're used to 100% private sleeping quarters and never having anyone sneak up on them (cause once a person enters the kennel, someone starts the noise, and all the dogs wake up!).

People tend to think dogs appreciate hugs and stuff 'cause most of us do, but as Kerry said, that can feel threatening to a dog.

Just let her be a bit. It takes months for most hounds to be who they really are.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Think of the scary noises and actions around a weed whacker, and you might see why she'd be worried about you. I doubt they have a lot of experience with those in the kennel, and if they do it probably isn't when they're out (and I would assume it would not likely be by their main handlers, but I could be wrong). Maybe she's worried you'll spontaneously start making the whirring whippy noise and start throwing grass and debris around at other times too!

You may find that you won't be able to use the lawn mower, weed whacker or any piece of equipment that is noisy with her in the area. Lots of greyhounds are afraid of objects that make noises. She may even react to the vacuum cleaner or any household object that makes loud noise also. She needs time to adjust and she should be fine.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest LakeJenny060609

Its getting weirder now, she didnt have a problem with putting her harness on before now we try and she yelps and gets scared. Do you think this is response the the way she was treated in the past??

She was probably treated very well in the past. She's a puppy still and her world has been turned upside down. The key is patience and go slowly. Let her adjust at her own pace. If she reacts negatively to something you can try backing off and trying again in a few days.

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I agree with Judy. I'd suggest just stepping back a little and give her some time to settle in. We don't always know why dogs act the way they do, but scared, skittish behavior doesn't always (or even usually) mean past abuse. Maybe her seemingly happy, well-adjusted behavior the first few days made you go a little faster than she was ready for. Especially since you were told she'd be shy and nervous for a while, it sounds like this isn't unusual behavior for her.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest LakeJenny060609

So it seems like its getting worse daily, Im taking everybodys advice and its getting worse. this morning we got up ate and were lounging around my wife got up and she got all excited. She was jumping and kissing and accidentally my wife kind of grabbed her head she yelped and came and sat next to me. She would let me pet her fine she got up went to her bed and my wife went in to check on her got like 2 feet away and she yelped and gave a warning snap. It seems like we take 2 steps forward then take 5 back daily. If this is going to be dangerous to us or my family im going to have to do something about this.

To be honest, she sounds like a puppy and if you've had no experience in dealing with puppies, they can be trying at times. It sounds like she's reacting as though your wife tried to correct her for jumping around (even though that was not her intent). Are you sure that the snap was a warning snap and not a snap out of excitement. Some greyhounds will snap out of excitement. If there wasn't a growl or baring of teeth, I wouldn't think it was an aggressive snap. It's called "air snapping" in the greyhound world and it's due more to excitement that aggression. She sounds like a puppy reacting to correction to me.

At this point in time you need to go back to square one and treat her as if she has just arrived. I wouldn't try and pet her unless she came to me first. I would let her make all the moves at this point. She's learning how to trust you and believe me some greyhounds are drama queens and will yelp at anything and everything. If you think she may be injured or something like that, take her to the vet, if she gets a clean bill of health, she's just over reacting to normal situations around the house and everyone just needs to calm down and be patient, including the dog.

If you think a dog as young as she is isn't a good match then by all means contact your adoption group and inform them of what's going on and they may determine you need an older dog. Not all homes are prepared for a 2 year old.

If this is going to be dangerous to us or my family im going to have to do something about this.

Any dog has the potential to snap and bite in self-defense if they feel threatened. After a week, your new girl has not had a chance to settle in and learn to trust you yet. Some dogs are very sensitive to subtle gestures, body language, and sudden movements. Canine body language is very different form human body language, and you and your wife may be inadvertently sending her threatening signals when you are trying to be friendly. For example, a direct approach with eye contact is seen as friendly and honest from a human standpoint, but is threatening and intimidating to a nervous dog.

Once your dog has had time to bond and learn to trust you, she will probably be more tolerant of of your human body language, but until then, you will need to be careful not to accidentally scare her and trigger defensive behavior. You got some excellent advice above, especially Batmom's list of things not to do, but that's just a brief synopsis - here's a good article with more info about dog body language.

Especially if the group you adopted her from told you she'd be shy and nervous, she sounds like a sensitive girl who will need some extra time and patience. It also sounds like she'll be a wonderful dog once she learns to trust you, but she needs to be given the chance to do that.

She was jumping and kissing and accidentally my wife kind of grabbed her head she yelped and came and sat next to me. She would let me pet her fine she got up went to her bed and my wife went in to check on her got like 2 feet away and she yelped and gave a warning snap.

Can you describe exactly how your wife was responding while your girl was jumping and kissing? I know many people like to encourage that type of happy, excited behavior, but I personally don't like my dogs jumping or kissing. When my dogs get excited when I come home, I calmly and quietly talk to them, turn my side to them, and don't touch or pet until they have calmed down some.

High emotions, even if it starts off good, can easily go the other way when the dog is over the top. Kind of like kids who get too excited while playing, and it become a fight or argument. This is not to say you can never play and get excited with your girl, but maybe wait until she's settled in more, especially since it seems like little things can trigger her fear and nipping right now.

Also, do you know what exactly your wife did when she went to check on your girl when she was on her bed? Did she walk directly toward her? Even if it was from 2 feet away, did she lean forward to look at her? Leaning forward and looking directly at a dog still falls in the same category as bending over the dog that others warned about in previous responses. Not sure if and your wife have previous dog experience, but with a sensitive dog, you do have to be especially aware of your body language and what you might be communicating to the dog non-verbally. Best of luck, and I hope things start to improve.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest LakeJenny060609

Wow thanks so much guys. I guess we just need to let her be more initiative with us than he other way around. We both really want this work because we have both fallen in love with her and thats why this is so tough.

Guest LakeJenny060609

Alls I have to say is "Still wet behind the ears" definently hits the nail on the head. Reading books doesnt prepare you for everything you need. I cant say enough how much I do appreciate everyones input. Hopefully with everything we have learned on here we can be another success story!

B)

Guest LakeJenny060609

To everybody who tried to help I thank you all. Unfortunately we had to bring Jenny back to the adoption group, she seemed to show more fear and agression as time went by. There is a better fitted house out there for the prtty little girl. Thankfully the rescue let us adopt an older dog, Im really hoping this will workout.Hes going to be 5 sept 18th and he is a very affectionate bog boy.

Oh my goodness. I'm sorry things didn't work out with your girl. I hope the group will find the right situation for her, and I hope your new big fella fits right into your family.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LakeJenny060609

Thank you. It was a very tough call to make, but overall we wanted her to be in a healthy and happy situation. Im not try to count my chickens too soon but so far his temperment is so much more funloving and affectionate. Im keeping my fingers crossed

Let us know how things go along, will you? Will keep my fingers crossed for you too.

You really never can tell how a given dog will get along in a given household. Adoption groups and shelters do the best assessment they can, and sometimes things just don't mesh. Sometimes you can figure out why; other times it's a complete mystery.

I'm so sorry it didn't work out for her but as Jey said, not all dogs mesh in all households. The perfect home is out there for her I'm sure of that. Congratulations on your new boy. Let us know how things are going with him.

To everybody who tried to help I thank you all. Unfortunately we had to bring Jenny back to the adoption group, she seemed to show more fear and agression as time went by. There is a better fitted house out there for the prtty little girl. Thankfully the rescue let us adopt an older dog, Im really hoping this will workout.Hes going to be 5 sept 18th and he is a very affectionate bog boy.

kudos to you and your group for fixing this situation a.s.a.p. both the group and you were extremely proactive in making sure that the match is right! enjoy your new boy, slow and steady. i personally find that the boys are big goofs and easier, the girls the brains of the operation.

Guest LakeJenny060609

Made it through night 2. He has been very good at night with sleeping all the way through it unless we get up. He doesnt like and non carpet floors so we are working on that. Its funny but sad watching him try to make out why the floor is slippery trying to show him go slow. He is really good outside stays near me and come when I call. He LOVES playing with his squeeky toy. So far so good. I dont know how to attach picture with the url links any advice?

If your pic is in photobucket (or some other online services), you can insert it here via [ img ] http : / / urlofyourpicture [ / img ] without all the spaces.

Edited by Batmom