Dentals For The Older Dog

Guest jupiterooos

Guest jupiterooos

Angler's had three dentals in his time with us, and it's been a year since the last one - so it's time for Death Breath to go get another one. But I'm concerned about his age. He'll be ten soon, which is not quite elderly but definitely getting up there for a grey. What are our options for dentals at his age? Is anesthesia still safe? What do we do when he gets old enough that it isn't safe?

Unless he has particular health conditions, dentals and anaesthesia will be safe for his whole life. He's nowhere near old.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Cody had a dental last Dec and he was about 11 and a half then and did fine. In my experience they are a little slower coming out of the anesthesia but that is the only difference I have noticed.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Kerri had a dental last September, nine teeth removed including all 4 canines and a hole in her mouth repaired. She was 2 months shy of being 11 yrs old. She has 3 teeth left in her mouth. She did fine. Her gums were in such bad condition they wouldn't hold the sutures, so they had to put her under a second time the same day as her dental to stitch her up again, but after 5 days at the Vets she came home and has not had a problem since. I adopted her at the age of 7 1/2 and she already had 26 teeth pulled. She was in a home prior to mine and dentals were not done on her so her mouth was terrible and I was getting dentals for her about every 8 months, teeth pulled every time. Since all teeth are gone but the 3 she is so much happier and acts a lot younger then her now 11 yrs 9 mos of age :)

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Has he ever had bad reaction to anesthesia? Is his bloodwork all up to date and normal readings? How is his overall general physical health?

As long as everything is good, he shouldn't hve any trouble. My 11 year old guy just had one and came through fine.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My senior had a dental at age 12. When I picked him up that afternoon he trotted out of the office & hopped into the car like nothing had happened. He then though promptly fell asleep in a... um... much more relaxed fashion than usual. :) He ate just a small dinner that night but starting with breakfast the next day he acted like nothing had happened & he did have an extraction. Last month my 9.5 yo girl just had her first dental in the 5 years I've had her. She too came out of it bright, alert & launched herself into the car without problem.

ETA: And please don't tell my girl she is getting older just because she's approaching double digits. She clearly still thinks she is barely middle aged. ;)

Edited by kudzu

Guest Swifthounds

Unless he has particular health conditions, dentals and anaesthesia will be safe for his whole life. He's nowhere near old.

:nod

ETA: anesthesia always has risks, but bad teeth dump bacteria into the bloodstream and organs and are proven killers. Obviously would want to maximize tooth health with other things (chews, raw items, tooth brushing, mouth rinses etc) so that the dental has benefit for more than just the few days for yuck mouth to start again, but barring specific impairment you're better off doing the dental than not.

Edited by Swifthounds

Guest KennelMom

:nod Yep. I always have a blood panel done before any kind of general surgery, regardless of age.

:nod Yep. I always have a blood panel done before any kind of general surgery, regardless of age.

Same here, and actually my vet insists on it. Having many senior dentals done, I am usually confident and worry more about what bad teeth can do to their health.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless