Deep Cut, Quick Help Please

Sage and I were just at the park where I noticed she sliced herself real good while running. I'm not sure how she did it, but I need some advice on what to do, and whether it may need stitches.

It's on her rear thigh and is about 2 inches long. The cut is fairly deep, but it runs more along the surface, not straight in to the muscle. All I see is a deep fillet of her fur. It is bleeding but not bleeding out, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I'm not one to run to the vet when I can take care of it myself. I'd like to know how I should clean it.. since it's deep, I know I need to clean inside the cut, but I don't want to cause her pain. And also, I don't know how to close it... The location is tricky.

Should I just go to the vet?

Edited to add picture. I did not want to pull it apart to show it's depth because I didn't want to hurt her.

DSC00760.jpg

Edited by DevilDog

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Myka had one recently and I cleaned with hydorgen peroxide and then sprayed it with a medicated spray. I just left the wound open and made sure to keep it sprayed often (and gently cleaned) and it's healed just fine.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest MnMDogs

If it's deep, I would play it safe and head to the vet. It may need to be opened further, cleaned and stitched up if it's a jagged cut.

Edit to add, I've always heard not to use peroxide since it can damage healthy tissue, but use saline instead, or just warm water...I wear contacts, so I usually have non preserved saline on hand. Maybe someone else can pipe in on that.

Edited by MnMDogs

With something on the thigh I would worry about it ripping more, so I'd probably head to the vet for a few stitches.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest MnMDogs

It doesn't actually look that bad in the picture. Do you think there's a risk of it opening up with normal activities? If not, you may just be able to clean that out.

It doesn't actually look that bad in the picture. Do you think there's a risk of it opening up with normal activities? If not, you may just be able to clean that out.

I was hoping that. I just got her up to drink some water and it seems to be in a location where it won't open up much at all while she moves. I looked closer at it, and it seems to be maybe 3/4" deep or so.

So.. I really want to clean it out. I have Bactine, antiseptic spray, but I'm afraid it'll sting her.

Warm water? Saline?

Edited by DevilDog

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe

It doesn't look bad in the photo, and it looks like the bleeding is controlled, so you're probably ok. If it's really almost an inch deep though be sure to clean it out really well.

I usually use Hibiclenssoap to clean out wounds (though not usually for something that deep). Most drug stores carry it.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

3/4" deep should be cleaned by the vet and stitched/stapled.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Batmom beat me to it. It needs shaved, cleaned and sutured or stapled.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

ok, slight freak out... it's much deeper. At least one inch. I got brave and took a look.

I'm torn.... How much does stitches cost?? I just paid rent and I have very limited funds at the moment. :(

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

ok, slight freak out... it's much deeper. At least one inch. I got brave and took a look.

I'm torn.... How much does stitches cost?? I just paid rent and I have very limited funds at the moment. :(

No idea on costs but if it is that deep, I'd think stitches were a necessity and something you can't wait on. Which sucks for the pocketbook (I know), but if that deep, I'd want to make sure the muscles were okay etc.

Not sure what they will cost but you risk infection setting in without treatment.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Around here - $110 to walk in the door at the e-vet, another $150-250 or so for the local and the stitches, depending on the details. Our vet prices tend to be high in CT.

Call your vet, explain your situation, and see what they can offer. Many larger, deeper wounds can heal without stitches/staples, as long as they don't get infected, so at a minimum, it would be a good idea to have the vet look at it and get some oral antibiotics. That would probably just be the cost of the office visit and the meds. Many greyhounds will allow wounds to be cleaned and stapled without sedation, so that would be another option to inquire about, but not all vets are comfortable doing that.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

Batmom beat me to it. It needs shaved, cleaned and sutured or stapled.

I agree completely - she'll probably also need antibiotics

:nod. But skip the unnecessary "just in case" antibiotics.

Edited by Swifthounds

Guest eaglflyt

I hope you've gone to the vet with your hound. Possibly they will take payments, a post dated check, or a credit card. If you do not have a credit card, I can suggest CareCredit which is accepted by most vets and will give you 0% interest if paid off in a certain amount of time.

Good luck.

If it's that deep it needs to be cleaned REALLY well. I'd bring her to the vet now. Something similar recently happened here. It wasn't that deep though. I went to the evet where they quoted me $600-$800 to stitch him up. I said no, but I did have them clean it well (I mainly went for the cleaning since the skin was bunched funny and I was worried about a foreign body.) I walked out after $200 and a cleaning and ABs. I went to my vet the next day and he stapled the wound for $88. Going the next day may not be an option for you, so ask the evet when they clean it. My evet actually suggested it to me.

Well I just spent hours and hours at the E vet. :rolleyes: I hoped I could care for the wound myself, but I didn't feel comfortable doing so. It needed a good cleaning and stitches. The wound opened up to a gaping hole after a while. So, off to the vet.

My Evet is also my regular vet, so I only pay an extra $15 for the 'E' part. :P I was approved for CreditCare and what a relief.

$180 later we have

009-1.jpg

And..

010-1.jpg

Thank you everyone. :)

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg