Bully Stick Gave Diarrhea?

Yesterday morning I gave Ruby a small bone with a short bully stick wrapped around it that I had ordered from the company I hear so much about here. You would have thought that girl won the lottery. She took it, layed down and sniffed it, threw it into the air, did 5 laps around the yard, threw it again and then layed down in a shady spot to devour it. I went about my business and a couple hours later found that the bully stick was devoured and the bone part was laying in her bed. All was well and she ate her dinner last night. This morning at 4:45 she started whining a bit. I told her to go back to sleep. A half hour later, more whining. I got up to let her out and off she ran to the poop spot. She did not want to come back in so I watched her from the bedroom window have 2 piles of diarrhea. I was going to not feed her this morning but DH got up and before I could tell him, he fed her and she ate well. So now I am concerned about all the bully sticks I ordered for her. Would you continue to let her have them ? There were no other changes in her diet yesterday and no other treats. Thanks !

Karen

We no longer feed Bully Sticks or commercial (processed) dog treats for this reason. We had a 6 week period of Big D that was started by a Bully Stick. Best bet is to just monitor your pup for a day or so and see if it clears up. If not, then you might have to treat the diarrhea accordingly. We don't give immodium or other things initially because whatever is causing the issue needs to work it's way out.

When we used to give a big treat like that, we would cut back a little on the next meal. You can always feed again later if the pup is hungry, but overeating (big treat plus all egular meals) sometimes will cause this reaction also. Don't panic, I would just monitor it until the next couple of potty breaks until you know what you are dealing with. .

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest sweetpea

Yup, Sweetpea had runny poo after a bully stick.

Maybe if you could cut it into smaller portions?

But then you don't want them swallering it whole....

Sweetpea's gut is so finicky, I haven't ever tried again, I just stick with crackers that agree with her.

Buzzy

When I gave Timo bully sticks, I would only let him chew for 10 minutes, and then I would take it away. His resource guarding issues arose, but it helped to prevent tummy issues.

A lot of times when you give a dog a new food or treat, they can get the big D. Best to start out slow when giving anything new. Might try limiting the time she has to chew on it next time so she doesn't eat the entire thing at once.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Swifthounds

A lot of times when you give a dog a new food or treat, they can get the big D. Best to start out slow when giving anything new. Might try limiting the time she has to chew on it next time so she doesn't eat the entire thing at once.

:nod

With anything new, and especially with dogs fed a diet that avoids variety, you want to do easy. Most dogs will be excited over the new treat like a kid on Halloween, in both cases they need someone to keep them from overdoing it.

i"m not a fan of bully sticks. i always end up cleaning up a chunk of one in vomit and it has upset their stomach a tad.i only buy small sticks, 6" long. annie has a cast iron gut and nothing phases her...except bully sticks. tendions don't last as long but they seem to have no ill effects.

There are certain brands of bullies that upset Wendy's tummy, so I stick to SitStay brand.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

The other bully sticks I bought are the 6" ones and I think it will be a while before I try them again. She has had no issues this afternoon but has not pooped again either. The one I gave her was a small one twisted around a plain sterilized bone. She was chewing for hours and her teeth look great. I wish I could just leave her alone and let her enjoy her regular food but I always feel like she deserves a treat now and then. I haven't found any biscuits that settle very well so I have been giving her a Kong stuffed with goodies (which she refuses to chew on) and an occasional chunk of chicken. I do remember when I had her at the kennel a year ago they gave her hamburger and she has diarrhea for days. Could be she is allergic to beef.

Karen

Yup, Sweetpea had runny poo after a bully stick.

Maybe if you could cut it into smaller portions?

But then you don't want them swallering it whole....

Sweetpea's gut is so finicky, I haven't ever tried again, I just stick with crackers that agree with her.

Buzzy

Hacksaws are Geyt fo cutting them. I do not let mine eat the whole thing in one sitting.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest Swifthounds
I do remember when I had her at the kennel a year ago they gave her hamburger and she has diarrhea for days. Could be she is allergic to beef.

If she raced, it's highly doubtful she's allergic to beef, which is the bulk of a racer's diet. If she doesn't normally get much other than plain kibble (either because it hasn't been offered or because she hasn't shown interest when offered) the change itself is likely the cause.

You might try dried sweet potato chews -- Beth does well with those in small amounts. We use ones called Veggie Rawhide from Sam's Yams but break them in half, as too much produces looser orange poo. Beth has had a pancreas issue so no chews where I can't verify the fat and protein percentages.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest katethegreyt

I start my girl off fairly slowly on any new treat, otherwise she'll get loose poops (we get ours from Best Bully Sticks).

She's pretty much fine with bully sticks now (the big jumbos), but it's also rare that she eats the whole thing in one setting. She's totally fine with about 1/3 - 1/2 of the 12" tracheas, but a full one she will devour in about 10 minutes (apparently she finds them MUCH more appealing than the bully sticks) and have an upset tummy afterwards. Same with the tendons or the stuffed aortas I sometimes give her. I've had very good luck just limiting her intake.

It is also possible that your girl has a sensitive tummy and won't get used to them, so you'll have to use your own judgment = )

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I think the problem is too much too soon. Next time only let her chew for maybe 20 minutes, then take it away. A little every day is easier on the system than a big one all in one sitting!

We have no problem with the Red Barn bullies, but the Merrick made both my grey sick as well as my granddog. Granddog ended up at the vet because the bellyache was so bad. He is a big bully chewer but DD uses another brand. We threw the offending bullies in the trash.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest Sunset123

You never know. Could be just that it's new, since any new food can upset the stomach. I'd try again.

How big was the bully stick and how fast did she eat it? I can't give anything too small because when my girl is able to eat it too quickly she gets an upset stomach. The really thick bully sticks are fine, though.