Osteo Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How’s Ronan doing?

Tricia, I’m so glad to hear that Bee is doing great – I loved her “under the table” pictures from the meet & greet!

Jen - Thanks for asking about Twiggy! She is still doing well. Bandage comes off tomorrow! I think she is a little dehydrated from all the panting (she still has some pain, even though we upped her tramadol to 75mg 3x/day instead of 50mg 3x/day - I know tramadol could cause panting, but her panting clearly lessened as soon as I gave her the higher dose). I've been giving her lots of water in her kibble, and encouraging her to drink additional water frequently.

Aside from that, she is doing really well. She tried to do a "downward dog" stretch yesterday, and has now decided that she must cross the street to poop – she’ll suddenly get this really determined look in her eye, and start hopping across the street till she gets to the right patch of grass! Her bruising is getting lighter, and the little bit of edema she had in her belly is now all gone.

Twiggy continued her undefeated run as earthquake predictor dog yesterday. A few years ago when there was a small earthquake here, Twiggy got me up and out of the house several minutes before it struck (we were even on the news because of her prediction). Yesterday, at an unusual time for her to want to go out, Twiggy suddenly got up and started acting like she wanted to go outside. While we were out, I thought I felt the ground move and thought, “huh, was that an earthquake?” It was really mild and I forgot about it until yesterday evening when I watched the news and learned that the DC quake was felt here in Chicago, too.

And for Nancy who suggested that some pics of Twiggy might be nice (careful what you ask for… :blush ) Here’s a little photo journey (including a couple gratuitous “before” shots):

Enjoying a rib dinner before all this started:

P1000996.jpg

Shortly before any sign of trouble:

P1010128.jpg

On the road to OSU:

P1010421.jpg

Visiting 2 days after surgery:

P1010569.jpg

Twiggy with Dr. Callard and Emily:

P1010581.jpg

Back home chillin’ with Donnie:

P1010586.jpg

Resting yesterday:

P1010593.jpg

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest roselle

How’s Ronan doing?

Tricia, I’m so glad to hear that Bee is doing great – I loved her “under the table” pictures from the meet & greet!

Jen - Thanks for asking about Twiggy! She is still doing well. Bandage comes off tomorrow! I think she is a little dehydrated from all the panting (she still has some pain, even though we upped her tramadol to 75mg 3x/day instead of 50mg 3x/day - I know tramadol could cause panting, but her panting clearly lessened as soon as I gave her the higher dose). I've been giving her lots of water in her kibble, and encouraging her to drink additional water frequently.

Aside from that, she is doing really well. She tried to do a "downward dog" stretch yesterday, and has now decided that she must cross the street to poop – she’ll suddenly get this really determined look in her eye, and start hopping across the street till she gets to the right patch of grass! Her bruising is getting lighter, and the little bit of edema she had in her belly is now all gone.

Twiggy continued her undefeated run as earthquake predictor dog yesterday. A few years ago when there was a small earthquake here, Twiggy got me up and out of the house several minutes before it struck (we were even on the news because of her prediction). Yesterday, at an unusual time for her to want to go out, Twiggy suddenly got up and started acting like she wanted to go outside. While we were out, I thought I felt the ground move and thought, “huh, was that an earthquake?” It was really mild and I forgot about it until yesterday evening when I watched the news and learned that the DC quake was felt here in Chicago, too.

And for Nancy who suggested that some pics of Twiggy might be nice (careful what you ask for… :blush ) Here’s a little photo journey (including a couple gratuitous “before” shots):

P1000996.jpg

P1010128.jpg

On the road to OSU:

P1010421.jpg

P1010569.jpg

P1010581.jpg

P1010586.jpg

Resting yesterday:

P1010593.jpg

How’s Ronan doing?

P1000996.jpg

P1010128.jpg

On the road to OSU:

P1010421.jpg

P1010569.jpg

P1010581.jpg

P1010586.jpg

Resting yesterday:

P1010593.jpg

Now I see where Twiggy got her name. Her waist must be an 11. She's beautiful :pepper

Wow! Twiggy looks fantastic Wendy!!! She obviously has a strong spirit and it's so good to see pics of another tripod!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Yay Twiggy!! She looks GREAT!

Berkeley has chemo appt #2 today. We have a thundershirt but it's too large (smaller one is on the way) but he'll wear it anyway, can't hurt. Fingers crossed that all our "fun" trips have helped just a little bit for the car ride up. :goodluck

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Thinking calm thoughts for Berkeley today at his chemo session! :)

:nod

Love the Twiggy pics. She is gorgeous, she has the most beautiful coloring/coat. So glad to hear she is doing so well.

Glad to hear Bee is doing really well too. :clap

Hoping things continue to go this way. :nod

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest roselle

Yay Twiggy!! She looks GREAT!

Berkeley has chemo appt #2 today. We have a thundershirt but it's too large (smaller one is on the way) but he'll wear it anyway, can't hurt. Fingers crossed that all our "fun" trips have helped just a little bit for the car ride up. :goodluck

Berkley, in the car and in chemo just close your eyes and take some breaths and remember that this is just one moment in the many happy ones you'll have in your life. Hugs to mom. :bath:grouphug

Go Berkeley! You can do this!

Twiggy looks really awesome! And I agree that she is totally gorgeous!

:yay Bee Wiseman!!

Now for some bad news. Dude either fell on or smacked into his sleeping sister Toni last night after dinner and she took great exception to it. Dude went to the e-vet to get two bites cleaned and stapled, then hom with tramadol and antibiotics. {{{{{sigh}}}}} Plus he was going through a bout of nausea, so now he's even more off his food. :rolleyes: He's doing good this morning - much more alert and whiny, which is normal for him.

I've been meaning to ask if any of our other friends seem to go through this cycle of eating and then nausea. Dude will go along fine for about 3 weeks or so and then all of a sudden he will stop eating and need some tummy support ofr three or four days, then he's back to normal chow hound status. There's no trigger that we can figure out. He pretty much eats anything, and loves his kibble. It just seems to be happening almost on schedule. I'll bring it up when he goes in to see his onco in September, but wanted to see if this was "normal."

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Hope Berkeley had or is having a stress-free chemo treatment. :goodluck

Chris, I've never heard anyone mention something like that. Hopefully others who have gone the amp route can give you some better input than I can. Poor Dude, hope his wounds heal up quick. :kiss2

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Berkeley did OK! He walked right into the vet clinic without hesitation. :thumbs-up Wasn't real happy going back to get the IV and still some nervous panting in the car - but definitely better overall. He took treats from me both while we were waiting at the vet and after, too.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Berkeley did OK! He walked right into the vet clinic without hesitation. :thumbs-up Wasn't real happy going back to get the IV and still some nervous panting in the car - but definitely better overall. He took treats from me both while we were waiting at the vet and after, too.

Good man Berk!!!

Chris, we have not experienced the nausea you describe with Charlie. He is a chow hound and the only time he refused to eat anything was during his chemo, usually a day or two after and it was only certain treats, e.g. bananas. He is on a 'at home' chemo protocol isn't he? Do you give this to him daily, weekly? Is there any connection between that drug and the timings of the nausea?

I'm glad to read and see Bee is doing well!

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest roselle

DUDE :getwell:cookie:o

BERKELY :kiss2:pinkele

Good man Berk!!!

Chris, we have not experienced the nausea you describe with Charlie. He is a chow hound and the only time he refused to eat anything was during his chemo, usually a day or two after and it was only certain treats, e.g. bananas. He is on a 'at home' chemo protocol isn't he? Do you give this to him daily, weekly? Is there any connection between that drug and the timings of the nausea?

I'm glad to read and see Bee is doing well!

:yay:yay:yay Berkeley!!!!!

Dude akes a low dose chemo pill every day. His protocol is the same every day - nothing changes med wise - and his food is even pretty consistent. We've been watching him pretty closely, just because! :rolleyes: There isn't any trigger that we can identify. Weird.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Wow! That's awesome about Berkeley, all those "happy" trips must be working!

Poor Dude, the last thing he needs is more holes to have to heal up :( . On top of an upset stomach and all! I hope he's feeling better quickly.

Twiggy got her bandage off today and has a pretty good infection going underneath. At least a 1" x 2" teardrop-shaped area of necrotic tissue that is largely sloughing off already. Twiggy's antibiotics went through last Tuesday afternoon, and that is about when her progress seemed to slow/reverse a bit. Now I know why. She's back on antibiotics again, and seems more comfortable already with that bandage off. My vet is calling Dr. Ham at OSU to consult - and what a coincidence, they went to vet school together so they know each other! My vet also provided some silver sulfadiazine cream to apply over the infected area. We'll know whether to change up the antibiotic once the culture comes back. I'd post a picture, but it's kinda gruesome.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Aw, Twiggy! That stinks, but let's hope it's an easy fix - hopefully you're on the right ATBs.

She getting around OK?

Edited by BauersMom

Not to make light of Twiggy's situation, but there is some anecdotal evidence that dogs that develope a post-op infection seem to live longer than dogs that don't. There was a vet (or vet student? Tech?) someplace that was doing a study about that phenomenon.

Glad she'll be on the road to recovery!

Berkeley, that is awesome!!! :yay Good job buddy. :kiss2

I know very little about the infection issue, except that a friend of mine had to take her pup in for a second surgery to remove necrotic tissue after an infection wouldn't clear up and she is over 1 year post amp now. She has one of the smallest stumps I've seen, but otherwise is doing awesome! :colgate

Berkeley was fine (and roaching!) after we got home from the vet, ate dinner fine... and now ~7 hours later is very restless. He's whining a lot and also drinking and drinking and drinking.... is it nausea? I have no idea what's wrong, just that he's clearly unhappy.

First round of chemo went fine - no issues at all. They used the same dosing this time, supposedly, but it also wasn't our regular onco vet so I don't know if something was different this time?

:(

She getting around OK?

Actually, she seems to be getting around better now that the big bandage is off. Within an hour or so of getting the new antibiotics in her, she seemed to be much calmer and more comfortable. I don't think abx can act that fast, but she's definitely getting around with more or a spring in her step!

Not to make light of Twiggy's situation, but there is some anecdotal evidence that dogs that develope a post-op infection seem to live longer than dogs that don't. There was a vet (or vet student? Tech?) someplace that was doing a study about that phenomenon.

I read something similar yesterday (ironically, before I knew about the infection), and for a moment thought "maybe it would be good if she got an infection...", but I think that "benefit" applied more to limb-sparing surgeries using implants. I could be wrong, though.

Berkeley, that is awesome!!! :yay Good job buddy. :kiss2

I know very little about the infection issue, except that a friend of mine had to take her pup in for a second surgery to remove necrotic tissue after an infection wouldn't clear up and she is over 1 year post amp now. She has one of the smallest stumps I've seen, but otherwise is doing awesome! :colgate

My vet doesn't think another surgery would work well in Twiggy's case, because there is so little skin to deal with - being a front limb, there is no stump, and the skin is already stretched very tight. She said that a surgery would require some very complicated techniques.

Berkeley was fine (and roaching!) after we got home from the vet, ate dinner fine... and now ~7 hours later is very restless. He's whining a lot and also drinking and drinking and drinking.... is it nausea? I have no idea what's wrong, just that he's clearly unhappy.

First round of chemo went fine - no issues at all. They used the same dosing this time, supposedly, but it also wasn't our regular onco vet so I don't know if something was different this time?

Since I haven't gotten to this stage yet, I don't know much about it, but I thought I read that side effects from chemo don't necessarily happen the first time it is administered - that symptoms are just as likely to develop after later treatments. I also read that with one of the chemo drugs (maybe carboplatin, but I can't remember for sure) that once nausea/stomach side effects occurred, they were unlikely to occur again. Fingers crossed for that!

Yes, it doesn't usually happen after the first round, but subsequent treatments can bring it on. The same thing happened with Dude. Did your vet send home some some Cerenia and/or metoclopramide to help with the nausea???? As opposed to normal, Dude would ONLY eat plain dry kibble when he didn't feel good. No canned food, no yogurt, no NUTHIN! He would eat canned food and kibble, just not in his food bowl with his kibble. He's so weird!

So I did some quick google-diagnosing and I think it is nausea and I guess it typically does start ~6hrs after administration (we're using carboplatin).

I crammed some pepto into him and he's settled down and has been quiet for 15 minutes or so. I didn't really have anything else on had for nausea, but it seemed to have helped.

Greysmom - we must have been posting at the same time. We didn't get anything for nausea, but I will definitely ask for some in the future!

Edited by BauersMom