Osteo Thread

Hope Charlie is feeling better soon...but glad that everything else checks out well! :)

I know what you mean about being sad when "we" lose a pup here. I just posted in Twiggy's thread about how I personally feel the sadness and sense of loss when the time comes for one of the osteo thread hounds, and feel the joy when they're doing well. I relive losing Sutra every time I post about what we did to treat his osteo :( October 12th is coming fast...I can't believe I've been without him for almost a year...it's still so hard and I'd give anything to have him here rubbing his snoot all over me and pestering me to go to bed so he could hop up there with me and hog the entire king size bed...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe's lung x-ray is CLEAR!!!!!!! He has made it to one year and 2 weeks post amp. He remains his incredibly lazy but goofy self. He will remain on the Palladia metronomic protocol for the rest of his life. I am thankful to live so close to Dr. Couto and OSU. I am so thankful that my Joey is still doing well. And I am also thankful for all my greytalk friends. Thank you all!

Jane

Joe's lung x-ray is CLEAR!!!!!!! He has made it to one year and 2 weeks post amp. He remains his incredibly lazy but goofy self. He will remain on the Palladia metronomic protocol for the rest of his life. I am thankful to live so close to Dr. Couto and OSU. I am so thankful that my Joey is still doing well. And I am also thankful for all my greytalk friends. Thank you all!

Jane

:yay:confetti

So glad to hear it. Loving the good news this week!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest roselle

Jane

You rock JoeJoe :love2:banana:bounce1:clap:confetti:yay

Jane

ATTA BOY!!!! :colgate:colgate So, happy for you both!!

Way to go Joe!!! Keep it going buddy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Jane

:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

What lovely news, Jane! I'm delighted for you and Joejoe.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Sigh. Berkeley had a freak out at the vet today. :( He was just in for his bloodwork and we set it up so that it was a drop-in tech appt - in, blood draw, out. But I couldn't even get him INTO the vet's office. A tech had to come out and help me, and he was an absolute mess. He wouldn't even take the McD's treat I got him after. :(

I talked to the vet and he's going to have the tech do it outside - no more bringing him in. I think that will help, but I am still wondering if we should be doing something else in addition.

So...Has anyone used a thundershirt/anxiety wrap on a tripod? Is there any difficulty fitting it properly?

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest azlorenz

Jane

:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti

Ditto! Go Joe Go....

I talked to the vet and he's going to have the tech do it outside - no more bringing him in. I think that will help, but I am still wondering if we should be doing something else in addition.

Has Berkeley always been anxious going to the vet, or is this just since his stay after the amputation? I'd suggest a desensitization program by doing 'fun visits' to the clinic where he doesn't have anything bad done to him. The goal is to try to help him develop a good association with the vet's office, instead of it always being a place where he goes and has a bad experience. Take him there, give him treats, and leave. In the beginning, you may just be working in the car, and in the parking lot, without even trying to enter the building. Here's an article that describes a protocol in more detail.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Always been anxious - but now it's worse since the amp.

We have been working to desensitize him to the car trip - since I feel like that's really where the anxiety starts (and it seems like once he gets upset, he's a mess until he's back home... then he's almost immediately fine). So we've started taking him to "fun" places, giving him kongs and treats in the car, going for a ride around the neighborhood etc. We've only been marginally successful - and we had to stop for two weeks while he was healing up from the amp.

I'll take a look at the article, thanks. :)

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Honestly, with that level of fear, you may want to talk to your vet about Xanax or Valium. You would give it about 45 minutes before getting in the car so it could take effect. But I would try the anxiety wrap first, or you could try something like Melatonin, I just suspect it won't be strong enough. Having said all of that, if the wrap doesn't work, I'm not sure if the drugs are okay with the things you'll be doing so you'd really need to talk to your vet.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thundershirt is ordered. I have xanax and elavil in the house, if the vet feels meds are our next step.

He had another freak out today - we were doing one of our "mini fun trips out" in the car, just down the road to the ice cream shop. Wouldn't get out of the car and I didn't press it... but when folks came by the car to say hi, he got really wigged out. He's always been a shy dog, but this was over the top for him.

He was very happy to get the ice cream, and on the trip back he seemed fine... and he's a very happy camper at the house. But it seems like his vet anxiety is turning into an 'anywhere away from home' anxiety. :(

What meds is he on? Some (such as tramadol) can give a dog the creepies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:wave Hi everyone, we're here - :(.

Good to see everyone, but I'd rather the circumstances were different.

Thank you so much for all the support advice and information over in our other thread.

It is great to see so many pups doing so well recently! (Though I hope Berkley can get some relief from his anxiety!)

I'll be back soon...

Edited by TwiggysMom

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

:(

Wendy, sorry that you are joining this thread. We are all here for you and Twiggy and the big thing I think you need to do above everything is, stay positive. You are acting quickly and that is a good thing when choosing the amp & chemo route. The dx while devastating is NOT the end all and there are many pups who have lived happy, active lives for a long time after. Consider this is a battle and you will win the battle, go in hard, keep as positive as you can. The war is a long one and don't worry about that, just keep winning the battles.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest roselle

Good to see everyone, but I'd rather the circumstances were different.

Thank you so much for all the support advice and information over in our other thread.

It is great to see so many pups doing so well recently! (Though I hope Berkley can get some relief from his anxiety!)

I'll be back soon...

Wendy, big hug to twiggy and Kyle is right stay positive and focus on winning each battle. Roselle and angel Grace :(

Everyone here knows whatou're going through and how you're feeling. It's hard and it really really eally sucks! But the truly amazing thing I've learned through the last seven months is what wonderful, adaptable creatures our greyhounds are. Twiggy will be able to get through this with your help.

We're thinking of you. :grouphug

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Bumping for updates!

And because we slipped to page 2. Hope that means everyone's doing OK!

Hugs to all!