Osteo Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really really hate this disease. It's taking far too many of our pups. I can't believe Bee WIseman has joined us and Nikki is gone. It's heartbreaking...

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I really really hate this disease. It's taking far too many of our pups. I can't believe Bee WIseman has joined us and Nikki is gone. It's heartbreaking...

yes, it really, really sucks. Just when you get to the point where you think your hounds might be the lucky ones, it strikes :cry1

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

yes, it really, really sucks. Just when you get to the point where you think your hounds might be the lucky ones, it strikes :cry1

I am starting to feel pretty discouraged lately. 2 of my good friends, both GT members have pups with it right now as well. I know we're a relatively close knit community and more people come here to share when they have to deal with stuff like this, but if you consider how many of the long term members here deal with it, including multiple times, it really is so disheartening. I definitely did not have an appreciation for how rampant this disease is in the breed when I got involved with greyhounds. It won't stop me from adopting them, but it's hard not to worry about when I'll have to face it again. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am starting to feel pretty discouraged lately. 2 of my good friends, both GT members have pups with it right now as well. I know we're a relatively close knit community and more people come here to share when they have to deal with stuff like this, but if you consider how many of the long term members here deal with it, including multiple times, it really is so disheartening. I definitely did not have an appreciation for how rampant this disease is in the breed when I got involved with greyhounds. It won't stop me from adopting them, but it's hard not to worry about when I'll have to face it again. :(

me, too, and it actually is making a difference on whether i want to consider adopting another greyhound. i probably will, but it is discouraging. I have to keep reminding myself that in threads like this, we only read about the bad stuff, and it's easy to forget about all of those dogs who remain healthy and happy. Well, for me, anyway.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'd say that from my time as an adoption coordinator and president of a group we did not see a "ton" of osteo cases, overall. So from a general greyhound community thing, it's not as, I don't know, high as it seems on GT.

And I'd say that of the local greyhound folks that I know, the majority of the euthanasia/deaths have been from non-osteo stuff - other cancers, primarily.

It's all anecdotal, I know, but maybe that helps some.

I think the thing that really is hard about osteo is the 'lore' that comes with it - you see the posts and you hear the stories and it becomes ingrained in your head. Every single limp or swollen joint becomes a harrowing vet trip, waiting for the all clear X-ray. Prior to this Dx, Berkeley had been to the vet no less than a half dozen times for limping - a few broken toes, dislocated toes, random limps of unknown origin, corns, etc, etc.

My friend joked this last time when I was worried about him limping and said "but you always think it's cancer!" And she's right. The actual Dx sucks for sure, but the mental anguish that I put myself through when it wasn't osteo is really the part that gets me. It's like I was just waiting for it to hit.

Ivy came up limping in the yard the other day and I nearly had a panic attack. :rolleyes:

Berkeley had his 2 week post-chemo blood work run and everything looks good. The techs took care of it in the parking lot, much less of an ordeal. He still wasn't happy, but it was better than trying to drag him into the office.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

As the owner of multiple greyhounds, I always knew we were at risk of having one or more of our dogs contract cancer. 1 in 4 is a pretty hgh percentage, and we have five greyhounds. The percentages are the same for other larger breed dogs, though, and smaller breeds have their own risks. So unless you aren't going to have any more dogs, you are at some point going to have to deal with life threatening injuries and diseases.

Our first Great Dane died of cancer (lymphoma). Our second survived bloat/torsion to pass from cardiac arrest at age ten. Our third died from congstive heart failure. Our first greyhound went over the Bridge from acute kidney failure.

Plus, I do think we get oversensitized to it by being on GT. We come here to talk about our dogs, so they and their problems and foibles are naturally the focus. People reading mainly the H&M threads would think that most greyhounds are sickly, and in T&B they all have SA/anxiety problems or are drugs, when actually most are healthy and happy in their forever homes.

I hate this disease with a passion. it not only takes out beloved greyhounds, but loved people as well. I pray every day that somehow, somewhere there will be a breakthrough and we don't have to lose any more to it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Cancer will end the life of 25-40% of our Greys and my guess is that is closer to 50% if they live to a ripe old age. Cancer is unfortunately part of life whether it is hound or human. The discouraging thing is Osteo is so aggressive and the options are limited. Genetics and environment play a huge part and the former can't be eliminated for many many years and only if different genes are introduced. The environment, well there is some indication that Osteo can appear where previous injuries have occurred. I don't know whether studies have confirmed this yet by Dr. C. has mentioned it.

So we are stuck with this cowardly disease and yes it makes one fear adopting but these pups all need homes and whether it's cancer or something else, their lives will end usually before ours. So we open our homes and hearts and know that we will be heartbroken at some point no matter the cause.

Here's to every pup suffering from this specific disease and all others. :candle

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest roselle

Loosing Grace was by far the most heartbreaking ordeal I have had to go through and it's still fresh in my heart. Even with all that I went through I will do it again. Someone ask a question last week about what makes these dogs so special that we get so attached to them and it's so hard loosing them. I don't know, but they are special and life sucks without them. I'm still sobbing and kissing Grace's picture. I will fight like hell for these pups again, but not yet. :gh_run:kiss2:weep

Loosing Grace was by far the most heartbreaking ordeal I have had to go through and it's still fresh in my heart. Even with all that I went through I will do it again. Someone ask a question last week about what makes these dogs so special that we get so attached to them and it's so hard loosing them. I don't know, but they are special and life sucks without them. I'm still sobbing and kissing Grace's picture. I will fight like hell for these pups again, but not yet. :gh_run:kiss2:weep

I think that's how I feel. I will do it again, but Phene is still too fresh in my memory to chance putting myself through this again so soon. Hopefully Treasure will remain healthy.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Burke and I decided long ago that we would not amputate or pursue chemotherapy if one of our dogs was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. Now that we are facing this situation head on we are even more certain that this is the right decision for Bee Wiseman.

We will fight the osteo, though. We will fight it with medicine that keeps Bee pain free for as long as we can. We will fight it by letting her have all the steak and ice cream she can eat. We will fight it by giving Bee as many hugs, kisses, and belly rubs as she can stand. And there will be pictures. Lots and lots of pictures.

Bee Wiseman turns 10 on September 19th. This will be our first milestone. We hope to celebrate that birthday with Bee and with all of you here fighting this horrendous disease.

That was the same course of action I took with Phene. Unfortunately he was only with me 1.5 weeks post diagnosis, but I have absolutely no regrets. Would have chosen the same course if I had it do all over again. I commend you for your bravery and strength, just like I commend all of us.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

We will fight the osteo, though. We will fight it with medicine that keeps Bee pain free for as long as we can. We will fight it by letting her have all the steak and ice cream she can eat. We will fight it by giving Bee as many hugs, kisses, and belly rubs as she can stand.

Bee Wiseman is a very lucky girl, to have the two of you by her side.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Prior to this Dx, Berkeley had been to the vet no less than a half dozen times for limping - a few broken toes, dislocated toes, random limps of unknown origin, corns, etc, etc.

Bee Wiseman never limped once in the three years we've had her. She started limping two Saturdays ago. Ten days later we had the osteo diagnosis from our vet and verification from OSU.

:grouphug :grouphug

Just for clarification, I wasn't trying to say there was any connection to his prior injuries and osteo - just that as a greyhound owner, I feel like the sword of damocles is constantly over my head - it wasn't a matter of "if" one of my dogs would get an osteo diagnosis, but "when". So every time he hurt himself in the yard, I was paranoid.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Oh, gotcha.

Yeah, that's the difficult thing with osteo. You can take 5 dogs and get 5 different stories before diagnosis, different responses to treatment and different outcomes.

Berkeley was barely limping at the time of diagnosis - and even right up to the amp, had full use of the leg. He had two instances of significant limping - one in March and one in June - and they both lasted... less than a day, if I remember correctly. I tried to convinced myself that it couldn't be osteo because - wouldn't he be in more pain if it was?? sigh.

Prior to this Dx, Berkeley had been to the vet no less than a half dozen times for limping - a few broken toes, dislocated toes, random limps of unknown origin, corns, etc, etc.

Bee Wiseman never limped once in the three years we've had her. She started limping two Saturdays ago. Ten days later we had the osteo diagnosis from our vet and verification from OSU.

:weep:weep:weep I'm just seeing this for the first time. :cry1

Get ready for a battle, you can fight this. Hugs to you and kisses to Bee.

Any idea whether you will amputate or do palliative care? We're here for you whichever route you choose.

Burke and I decided long ago that we would not amputate or pursue chemotherapy if one of our dogs was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. Now that we are facing this situation head on we are even more certain that this is the right decision for Bee Wiseman.

We will fight the osteo, though. We will fight it with medicine that keeps Bee pain free for as long as we can. We will fight it by letting her have all the steak and ice cream she can eat. We will fight it by giving Bee as many hugs, kisses, and belly rubs as she can stand. And there will be pictures. Lots and lots of pictures.

Bee Wiseman turns 10 on September 19th. This will be our first milestone. We hope to celebrate that birthday with Bee and with all of you here fighting this horrendous disease."

Thank you, Tricia, for doing the loving thing for Bee. You're a wonderful Greyhound Mom for putting you girl first.

As far as osteo in Greyhounds, it does seem like everyone is dying from osteo right now, but I've lost 4 dogs since last Dec 23, none to osteo, and I can't count how many others since I adopted my first Greyhound, again, none to osteo. Sometimes I think it comes down to we, all of us, canine and human, die sometime, just some way too soon.

What's going on this week? Every time I check into H&M, there's another Dx.

:weep

I know :cry1

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Dude limped about 8 months before, and we suffered through the summer getting in to see the right doctor, getting xrays, rimadil and other rxs. But it was in his right front shoulder! And the dx was finally a recurring soft tissue injury that completely resolved. 6 months later we amputated his left rear leg.

He never limped on either hind leg - even the leg that had the toe amp. Just BOOM! Broken leg after running in the yard. No warning, no precursers that would have had us keeping him quiet.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly