Corn Advice

Guest peacehound

Guest peacehound

Peace has arthritis and has limped on and off for all three years since I adopted her as a bounce. She has a "different" limp now and some greytalkers suggested I check for corns..here are some pics, it looks like a corn to me, what does anyone else think. I do have a question though, I made an appointment for Friday to have the corn hulled, my vet has never done this before but feels confident she can hull the corn for Peace. (I shared the info from grassmere) Anyways, is it common for a grey with a corn to limp worse at times? she limps after getting up and seems to walk it off, now with having both arthritis and now corns? who wouldn't limp? I ordered get up and go to try a new supplement and hope that hulling the corns helps. If the consensus is that a grey limps all the time with a corn however, I see no reason to put her through the pain of hulling. Augh, can not stand to see this girl suffer. The pics are of both of her front legs, she holds up her left paw the most and seems to be the area of concern, however when we checked for corns she had one of them on each foot. Well, at least I think it is a corn. Also, anything to do to prepare for a successful hulling experience??? Thanks so much!

Corn1.jpg

Corn2.jpg

Peace

MichiganInCar.jpg

Edited by peacehound

Looks like a corn to me! Hulling can provide temporary relief, but they come back. The best and frankly only thing that made my corn dog more comfortable while walking was a thera-paw bootie.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Definitely looks like a corn to me. Sorry to hear your girl is having trouble - I can empathize. I'd think the corn hulling would help her. It's pretty non-invasive. :)

Also - do we drive the same car? Acura RSX? Best dog car ever, am I right? :D Check out what I did to mine!

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest peacehound

Definitely looks like a corn to me. Sorry to hear your girl is having trouble - I can empathize. I'd think the corn hulling would help her. It's pretty non-invasive. :)

Also - do we drive the same car? Acura RSX? Best dog car ever, am I right? :D Check out what I did to mine!

It's my daughter's Acura RSX! She drove us to GIG this year and Peace just loved it~ I love what you did for the dogs, you should start a business..and we had a hard time finding her Acura, funny you should recognize that.

Certainly looks like a corn to me. :( Sorry you are in 'the club' now. :(

I have learned to hull these myself--the vet showed me how--and I do it periodically when they get really large. Currently I am trying vitamin E on them. Jack is on carprofen (generic rimadyl) twice daily for his corns. It seems to help but he still avoids hard surfaces whenever possible....

Corns are evil. :angryfire

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Hulling corns is generally not painful for the dog. My boy used to just stand there for it :) It's not invasive, either and it only takes a minute or two. Very quick process that may provide relief. In the meantime, yes, use Therapaw booties. They're great. You should buy two - if your hound is resistant to walking with one on (holding foot up), put another one on the opposite foot. They can't limp on two legs at once :lol Most greyhounds will tolerate them just fine after just a few walks with them.

As for the lameness she experiences when she gets up, but then seems to "walk off", that is likely from her arthritis. Corn pain does not go away when the dog is moving. Think of it like having a pebble in your shoe.

Certainly looks like a corn to me. :( Sorry you are in 'the club' now. :(

I have learned to hull these myself--the vet showed me how--and I do it periodically when they get really large. Currently I am trying vitamin E on them. Jack is on carprofen (generic rimadyl) twice daily for his corns. It seems to help but he still avoids hard surfaces whenever possible....

Corns are evil. :angryfire

NSAIDs don't typically work with corns as there is no inflamation involved. Have you tried tramadol? That's what really helped Turbo when his corns were really bad.

And the nice thing about Tramadol is that you don't have all the other side effect issues that you can get with carprofen. :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Hmmmm....I asked my vet about tramadol, since I had some at home, and she thought generic rimadyl would work better. Jack has had his blood tested after being on it awhile, and he's not had any side effects. It seems to help him. I suppose what ever works!

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

My vet has started using thyroid med's for corns

Really? Please tell us more. What is the theory behind that? Have you heard of others doing the same? How is it prescribed, dosage, duration? Is thyroid testing done first & monitored during treatment?

Hmmmm....I asked my vet about tramadol, since I had some at home, and she thought generic rimadyl would work better. Jack has had his blood tested after being on it awhile, and he's not had any side effects. It seems to help him. I suppose what ever works!

You can use tramadol along with carprofen as they don't interact. However, you may have good results on the tramadol alone. It's a lot cheaper than carprofen and it doesn't harm the liver over time, like NSAIDs can do.

Corns suck.

Really? Please tell us more. What is the theory behind that? Have you heard of others doing the same? How is it prescribed, dosage, duration? Is thyroid testing done first & monitored during treatment?

This sounds like a bad idea to me, assuming the dog is at a 'greyhound normal' for the T4/fT4 and without an elevated TSH. I'm curious about this as well. I personally don't think I'd take the risk of supplementing thyroid hormone on a dog that doesn't need it. Turbo got very painful corns, but his thyroid level was normal.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

What's the reasoning behind this? And is the use of thyroid meds based on bloodwork indicating hypothyroidism? If not, I agree with turbotaina that this sounds like a bad idea. I have a patient who has corns on 3 feet who is also on thyroid supplement based on a diagnosis from a previous vet. He still needs his corns hulled every 6-8 weeks, and I don't see the thyroid meds making any difference.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest zoolaine

I have a foster that is taking Interferon to prevent her corns from coming back. They said she will probably be on it for several years.

Guest shelbud

My 12.5 yr. old has had corns since he was 6. We've tried everything including, surgery, hulling, various creams and ointments and they still come back. Most corns are pressure related. A few years ago, Gustav had some corns surgically removed. Very shortly thereafter, he broke a foot and was placed in a cast for 2 months. When the cast was removed the corns were gone. However, as soon as he started walking without the cast, the corns came back. Recently I placed him on Rymadel 2x/day believing that with less pain he would be willing to walk. It worked. He is now taking regular walks despite the presence of corns on three paws. I've come to the conclusion that there is NO cure. The only thing we can do is manage the condition. I keep his nails short and use a dremel to grind them down.

Have you thought about using the corn cream from Susan you can e-mail her here and get more information

susanm@murrayavenuerx.com

I used it on my hound for several months. I was able to remove the hard cap but not the corn itself. IMO, just a waste of money.

Have you heard about or tried our Greyhound Corn/Callus Cream? We have had such great success with it for healing corns! To date, we have dispensed the cream to over 550 greyhounds and the feedback has been phenomenal! Visit our website to learn more, read testimonials from other greyhound owners, see a video demonstration about our Corn/Callus Cream here.

Take advantage of FREE SHIPPING on all online purchases within the U.S. if you buy the cream from our Online Apothecary!

Contact us with any further questions or for more information about this and other products.

Erica Trimble, PharmD

Susan Merenstein, R.Ph./Owner

Murray Avenue Apothecary

www.MAApgh.com

www.YourGoddessRoom.com

412-421-4996

My 12.5 yr. old has had corns since he was 6. We've tried everything including, surgery, hulling, various creams and ointments and they still come back. Most corns are pressure related. A few years ago, Gustav had some corns surgically removed. Very shortly thereafter, he broke a foot and was placed in a cast for 2 months. When the cast was removed the corns were gone. However, as soon as he started walking without the cast, the corns came back. Recently I placed him on Rymadel 2x/day believing that with less pain he would be willing to walk. It worked. He is now taking regular walks despite the presence of corns on three paws. I've come to the conclusion that there is NO cure. The only thing we can do is manage the condition. I keep his nails short and use a dremel to grind them down.

Have you thought about using the corn cream from Susan you can e-mail her here and get more information

susanm@murrayavenuerx.com

I used it on my hound for several months. I was able to remove the hard cap but not the corn itself. IMO, just a waste of money.

It's not the magic cure for everyone, but it has worked for many many hounds.

I'm currently using it on Sage. We're about 3 weeks in and I'm seeing a change. I'm thinking this sucker will come out in another week or so!

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Zema had a corn. We hulled every 3 weeks for nearly a year. Then when she was under anaesthesia for something else, vet hulled the corn one more time and just "kissed" the hulled surface (cavity) with the surgical laser. No corn for NINE MONTHS. At that point, she got two very small new corns. Hulled once and gone for good.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest shelbud

Have you heard about or tried our Greyhound Corn/Callus Cream? We have had such great success with it for healing corns! To date, we have dispensed the cream to over 550 greyhounds and the feedback has been phenomenal! Visit our website to learn more, read testimonials from other greyhound owners, see a video demonstration about our Corn/Callus Cream here.

Take advantage of FREE SHIPPING on all online purchases within the U.S. if you buy the cream from our Online Apothecary!

Contact us with any further questions or for more information about this and other products.

Shameless huksterism. Snake oil.

Erica Trimble, PharmD

Murray Avenue Apothecary

www.MAApgh.com

www.YourGoddessRoom.com

412-421-4996

Zema had a corn. We hulled every 3 weeks for nearly a year. Then when she was under anaesthesia for something else, vet hulled the corn one more time and just "kissed" the hulled surface (cavity) with the surgical laser. No corn for NINE MONTHS. At that point, she got two very small new corns. Hulled once and gone for good.

My old guy is having surgery in two weeks for larengyl paralysis. Although he's had his corns surgically removed and hulled, if UC Davis uses a laser I might ask that they hull the corns and laser.

Hello greyhound friends!

The Murray Avenue Apothecary Corn Cream products ARE working and making a huge difference for our Lunar Star, female, 11 years old. As background... Lunar has had pesky corns on both front paws on and off for the past 2 years. This winter they became very painful, she limped badly, and began to refuse walking as a result. Last year, at the Mountain Hounds event, we learned about greyhound corns. Some folks were hulling corns and someone else mentioned the Murray Avenue products as a possible solution. This spring, when Lunar Star became so miserable, we decided to give it a try - after reading everything we could find and talking to everyone possible (we are huge skeptics!). We started the treatments approx June 9 and are following the directions the best we can with our hectic schedules: daily treatments at a minimum, always twice a day on the weekend or days off. It is SO worth it! We definitely see progress.

In roughly 1-1/2 months, Lunar's corns have come up to the surface; a small one dropped off, one is shrinking, and the larger ones appear to be sloughing off. Her pads are looking healthier, too. We are going to keep up with the Murray Avenue Corn Cream treatment and see where it leads - she still has 3 good sized corns yet to resolve. We have also decided we will NOT file, dremel, or attempt to dig out the corns at this point. (Let me add, we have a townhome without a fenced yard; potty walks are always on a leash going down the street. To ease her pain and lameness, Lunar always wears a Thera-Paw on each front foot when she goes outside. She has become accustomed to wearing them, and even welcomes them now! She still has corns and associated pain, but at least she is able and willing to walk - evenly and without limping - when she wears her "boots". They are great conversation starters, too!)

As I said, we were skeptical at first - but now we can't say enough about the results we are seeing in our sweet girl, Lunar Star! :yay I hope you give it a try and have good success, too.

Barb and Lunar Star (Diva and Corn Queen) :paw

Guest MnMDogs

Shameless huksterism. Snake oil.

Erica Trimble, PharmD

Murray Avenue Apothecary

www.MAApgh.com

www.YourGoddessRoom.com

412-421-4996

My old guy is having surgery in two weeks for larengyl paralysis. Although he's had his corns surgically removed and hulled, if UC Davis uses a laser I might ask that they hull the corns and laser.

I just want to comment quickly on this. I wouldn't have anything else done while he is under for the tieback. We just had it done on our old guy in Feb at Loomis Basin (not too far from UCD), and one of the things the surgeon impressed upon me was that they get them in and out of anesthesia as quickly as possible to keep aspiration risk to a minimum. Whenever Mork had gone under for a dental or any other reason prior to this surgery, we would have the corns hulled and lasered. We didn't do it during the LP tieback so he could be brought out as soon as possible. I think the whole thing was less than 40 minutes...

Just food for thought - It's not something I would consider during this type of surgery where getting them awake as quickly as possible is really important. That was Feb 25, and his recovery was nothing short of remarkable.

Sorry for the hijack :)

Guest nikkikaye

Just want to say Ive been dealing with corns for 7 years like many veterans on this thread. Yes, that pic is a corn indeed. However, I would not jump to hulling for that corn paw yet. IMO you dont hull corns until they are more developed and protrude a bit. The corn in this pic looks like it is a newbie and can easily be managed with simple dremeling. Many corn dogs' corns never get to really bad stages- and can effectively be managed with creams, duct tape, dremeling and therapaw booties. Expreimenting is the key as each situation is different. If the corns start to get debilitating, in that it causes a limp, then you can graduate to hulling. Because one thing few people mention to you is that after a hull (especially after years with corns), the remaining crater is usually very painful to walk on for at least a week or 2- even with a therapaw bootie. My advice from years and years of dealing with severe corns is to treat that corn with dremeling only at this point and some form of cream/ duct tape therapy. Use a therapaw & wait to see what happens.

The last thing I want to say is : yes, rimadyl daily seems great for corn dogs as it relieves most of the pain- but you know what happened to me when I had a corn dog on rimadyl for 2 yrs straight? He ran around wonderfully and jumped around like a normal greyhound & I was sure I found the answer to his pain & then he almost bled to death in a routine dental extraction because the Ansaid (rimadyl) had f'd up his clotting ability and he went into DIC (look it up- HORRIBLE diagnosis- vets call it "dead in cage"). After consult with OSU, they warned me that continual ansaid use has that effect on greyhounds all the time and causes them to be "bleeders" and often blled to death post operatively!!! After my corn dog barely made it (and $10,000 later), we discontinued all ansaids and now we dremel like hell, hull and I use tramadol when the limping is bad or after a deep hull when the pain is strong and limping is bad- even with the therapaw. Just 2 cents from an old corn dog mama :)

ps- my beautful wood floors are covered in rugs and yoga mats. But id do anything for my corn dog- he's the best! 12 now!

I would not jump to hulling for that corn paw yet. .... Because one thing few people mention to you is that after a hull (especially after years with corns), the remaining crater is usually very painful to walk on for at least a week or 2- even with a therapaw bootie.

If the corn CAN be hulled, there's no reason not to. We had no soreness at all from any hulling, ever. Until the last time we hulled before laser treatment, hulling invariably brought instant relief. Lame dog walked in to be hulled; pain-free, nonlame dog walked out.

After consult with OSU, they warned me that continual ansaid use has that effect on greyhounds all the time and causes them to be "bleeders" and often blled to death post operatively!!!

NSAIDs can affect clotting ability for any dog. Properly used, they are safe for most dogs, including greyhounds.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.