Seizures, Vestibular, Brain Tumor What? Please Help Avril

Oh my gosh! Well at least you have a diagnosis now. I hate not having a diagnosis. Hoping the medications she's getting work and clear this up. Praying there is no more seizure activity. I'll keep her in my prayers.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm glad you found out what is causing this, but I sure know how scared you are feeling right now. I hope the neurologist will be able to help more too. Are they thinking Avril's encephalitis is from infection? I hope they are able to find the cause and treat it. If it turns out it's not infectious make sure to find out about chemotherapy treatment. It saved Zephyr and dogs handle chemotherapy much better than people, a lot less side effects. Zephyr's encephalitis was through his brain too, the Dr. said at least 30% of his brain was effected. Is Avril able to eat anything? Zephyr was at the hospital for a week and for a few days Zephyr couldn't eat and we start feeding him a blended meat, canned food, and wet kibble mush that was squirted on his tongue. That seemed to really help him and his urine and blood really improved after. I forgot to mention that he was completely blind for two days and he had nystagmus also. This all improved as in the next 1 -2 weeks and he has had no permanent damage to his functioning that I can tell. They did tell me they had seen dogs that it took longer to go away. After the first 2 days and he started to wake up and improve he would get very upset sometimes. The Dr. and techs said, and I agree based on what I saw, that this is often because they are confused and can't control their body like they want to. Zephyr would also get upset when I had to leave, which killed me, but the techs were nice with helping with that. I just thought I'd let you know those things in case Avril is doing similar things. I am still amazed at what he went through and what they are able to do with treatments. I'm sending lots of healing love and keeping Avril and you in my thoughts and prayers. Zephyr sends love too!

thanks for all the continued well wishes. been a long day and we are still here.

I'm amazed that she's actually alive. this is a horrible infection.

Caron, yes, Avril's is caused by infection. so the chemo type drug is not an option for her. antibiotics for now. If all of the five parts of the WBC continue to improve and show they are in fact working correctly then we may be able to do IV steroids at a later date to hit inflamation but currently her immune system is so compromised that this would kill her they feel. I saw the slides and it does look toxic like her cells went crazy for lack of a better word. lots of problems we are dealing with.

They said it will be a very long road. It appears probable she is blind in one eye. It's not responding to light etc. but hey that's ok if we overcome the infection.

looks like we have more than one infection too.

she is eating now and drinking but mainly baby food. she is aspirating some but her chest films are clear and she has a strong cough. they are optimistic this will improve.

Everyone is meeting her every need and she absolutely loves the attention. My vet and A&M have been wonderful!

Thanks for the encouragement. it means a great deal....

Edited by Devotion

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I guess in this case, slow and steady wins the race. Any little improvement is a blessing at this point.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Pam, I've been following this thread but staying out of the way. So glad you got a diagnosis and that they can work with it. Keeping you and Avril in my thoughts and prayers.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Not exactly a cheery diagnosis, but it gives you something to work with. I'm glad your girl is holding her own. Sending lots of hugs for both of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LindsaySF

I'm glad you have a diagnosis. With her WBC count so high, I was going to suggest that it was a bad infection of some sort. The seizures could have been caused by a high temperature or by brain swelling.

Did they do a spinal tap to see what type of infection she has? If it's bacterial, they might want to do antibiotic sensitivity testing.

I hope she continues to improve.

One thought that I had after my post is that a severe and overwhelming infection could also cause extreme shaking (like chills) and maybe this is what happened and not a seizure. You might want to check with the vet if this is a possibility.

Hope that there is still improvement