Please Explain Kongs

I know this is a stupid question but here goes. After reading about Kongs all the time and how all of you stuff them with treats, freeze them and they entertain your dogs, I decided I had to get one for Ruby. So I bought the thing and filled it full of kibble and a couple of tiny pieces of her favorite duck jerky, sealed the ends with peanut butter, froze it and gave it to her yesterday when I left for work. She should have been hungry since she hasn't been eating her morning meal the last week. When I got home, there was the still stuffed Kong totally full. Then I had to bring it in the house and figure out how to clean the darn thing. I ended up having to dig the stuff out of it, soak it and digging some more. I bought the big one.

So what did I do wrong? How do you clean them and how in the world are the dogs able to get anything out of them? Ruby isn't a big chewer but she does like Bully sticks, chicken feet, etc...

Karen

Guest simile

When I'm teaching a new dog about Kongs I usually smear just a little bit of peanut butter or cream cheese around the opening. After they figure that out, I start putting a few treats or kibble bits inside, along with the bit of peanut butter around the opening, and work up from there. I usually don't start freezing Kongs until they get to the point where they get really excited to see the Kong come out.

Guest KennelMom

Believe it or not, some dogs just aren't interested in 'working' for a treat. For others, it just takes them a while to warm up to something new and learn what they're supposed to do.

Guest june

To clean it just get the big pieces out and put it in the dishwasher. No fuss.

Some dogs love them others not so much so. And then I have one girl who loves them but won't touch it until I get back home. She will leave any treats untouched until I get back home. I guess it is her way of letting me know she wants me to stay home. ;)

june

Guest BrianRke

Believe it or not, some dogs just aren't interested in 'working' for a treat. For others, it just takes them a while to warm up to something new and learn what they're supposed to do.

You just described my dogs. They hate those Kong toys with the treats inside. They do NOT want to work for their treat. After a few minutes of struggling with it they get really po'd, give me a dirty look, and walk away from it.

I just smear a little stuff (used to be peanut butter, now it's lowfat Greek yogurt) inside the opening and freeze. Once early on I sealed the hole with a piece of frozen banana and Beth didn't know what to do -- as I left the house I heard her howling in her crate and thought oh no, she's developing separation anxiety! but it was just that she was upset she didn't know how to get into her Kong!!

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I just use peanut butter smeared around the inside of the hole. I keep it in the fridge, as I find freezing it actually makes it EASIER for him to get the peanut butter out fast. For a dog with mild SA like mine, what you're trying to do is keep his mind off your departure as you leave, and for him, once the first 5-10 minutes have gone by, he calms down anyway.

I use the HUGE size. When I tried to give him a new one, he refused to touch it! The one he is using every day (Mon-Fri) belonged to my last dog.

I don't get too disturbed about cleaning it. It's no like I'm going to eat out of it, and George could care less if it's "clean" as long as it's got his peanut butter! That's also why I don't use anything that spoils.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greyfriends

To clean it just get the big pieces out and put it in the dishwasher. No fuss.

Some dogs love them others not so much so. And then I have one girl who loves them but won't touch it until I get back home. She will leave any treats untouched until I get back home. I guess it is her way of letting me know she wants me to stay home. ;)

june

I'm the dishwasher in our house. :lol A baby bottle brush and hot soapy water works well if you don't have a dishwasher.

And...MollyCrackers used to wait until I got home to eat her Kong treats. I wanted to stay home with her too! :)

A smidgeon of cream cheese to seal the Kong is a favorite in our house. We switch Kong treats and sealers. We've used almond butter too. Most recently I blended 3/4 c plain yogurt, 1/4 c peanut butter, 1T honey and a kelp/antioxidant supplement. Pour it in a zip top bag and snip a little bit of a corner off. Prop the Kongs in cups or a muffin pan, put a small treat in the bottom to seal the hole. Use the bag like a pastry bag and squeeze the "smoothie" into Kongs. This recipe fills 4 medium Kongs. I put a smelly good treat on top and freeze. Yummy!

Guest Swifthounds

Some dont like to work for it, some dont understand how it works, some don't like to eat treats alone, and some just aren't fans of kongs.

Guest BlingDogs

I got Dory a Kong and she does the same thing. She doesn't understand how to roll it around to get the food to come out, so she just chews it, but at least she's still entertained :D

Guest sheila

of the 6 hounds I have had only one of them liked the kong and he didn't need it stuffed with anything to chew on it. All my other hounds turn their noses up at it regardless of what I fill it with.

Bella is SO food motivated that she bounces around the apartment in the morning between her last walk and when she gets her Kong. I'm convinced that she now only goes on her second morning walk just to get her Kong, since she really just walks out the door, pees and beelines back inside. We started it when we first adopted her and now she knows that if she gets a Kong, we're going to be gone for a while. If we're just going out for dinner, she doesn't get one.

We use the large size. I actually bought six so that I can make up a whole batch at once and stick them all in the freezer instead of dealing with it every morning. I put some loose treats in the bottom and fill the top half with a blend of oatmeal, peanut butter and pumpkin, then freeze. She's rarely left anything in it unless I stuff the peanut butter mix to low into the Kong.

PS - They're really cheap on www.petedge.com

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest ctgreylover

Tony does not like kongs. I have a treat ball that is open. sort of a weave look. I stuff the cookies in it and he has to pull them out but its ALL open. no small hole to deal with.

Thanks for the great ideas. I have a feeling that Ruby is one of the ones who is not going to like the Kong. She is NOT food motivated at all. I was just hoping to find something to help entertain her while we are away. Will try a few of your suggestions and am counting my blessings that we have a dishwasher.

Karen

I read in your first post that you sealed both ends. You only have to seal the large opening. I break small sized biscuits in half and put a few of them inside and just seal the bottom with peanut

butter and freeze it. Sherri actually watches me get it out of the freezer and then runs to her bed to wait for me to bring it to her. She never looks at us leaving the house.

The reason I mention only sealing one end is because I remember reading a story about a dog whose tongue got stuck in a toy because it only had one opening and he couldn't get it out and it

swelled really badly. I don't know if this would happen with a Kong, but why risk it. I remember the toy being recalled, but for the life of me, can't remember what it was called.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

If Ruby is not kept in a crate you can also try hiding some treats around the house while your dogs is outside. One of my girls loved that game! Unfortunately, she is no long an "only" so although I do it once in a while I won't do it unless I'm home to be sure no one gets into a tiff over a treat.

june

I have tried it a couple other times and she just isn't interested. She is curious enough to carry it to her bed, but there it stays until I clean it out. I am done. I have put it in my donation box for the local shelter. Ugh........no more picking stuff out of it. Will try to find some other ideas to entertain her. I have one of those cubes too but she just sniffs it and lays beside it. She really IS retired !

Karen