So How Many Greys Are Allergic To Beef?

I thought I'd give Peggy a treat tonight with some nice leftover roast Beef. Big mistake as she's throwing up and I remember her doing the same after having some cooked steak we brought back last year and also another time after having some cold beef.

It may be random and she's picked something up, but I'm starting to think it is more than coincidence.

Can other peoples' Greys eat Beef without issues, and if they can't then what do you feed?

NB: Peggy gets a premium Turkey and Rice kibble as 80% of her food - and tonight of course she's lost the lot - she finds Lamb too rich and gets the runs.

Some people say vaccines grown on bovine products predispose dogs to allergies, but aren't they also grown on eggs?

Edited by JohnF

My Beau has an intolerance to beef - he has IBD. Because it was a food he had had prior and during his initial flare, he can't have it again. He can have tilapia and duck.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Although I don't think Maggie has an allergy to beef, it certainly doesn't agree with her. Vomiting, big D and weight loss. Doesn't matter whether it's beef based kibble or a little hunk of steak. She eats Taste of the Wild Prairie with gusto. And nice poops. blush.gif

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Blitz most definitely was allergic/reactive to beef. I remember he got hold of some hamburger and he had pretty nasty diarrhea, if I remember rightly. A few months ago, he got really picky and stopped eating the usual stuff, so I bought him all kinds of different variations of poultry and venison and whatnot, and he was doing okay until one night of diarrhea - checked the can, and sure enough, beef broth was one of the first few ingredients - I had missed it when I was reading the labels before I bought it.

Buffalo gave him gas and loose stool, too.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

No problems here but IIRC beef is one of the more common food allergens for dogs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I often wonder about the retired hounds that are shown to be allergic to beef.

How did they manage during their years as racing hounds, on the farms as pups, in training and then on to the race kennel.

I wonder if they had issues during those times too or if it was a later on set allergy.

We have had a few hounds that had some sort of allergy. Either it was grains or beef or something as it was easy to see in the race kennels when a dog had issues with the food. Normally it was skin issues or ear infections.

How did they manage during their years as racing hounds, on the farms as pups, in training and then on to the race kennel.

I wonder if they had issues during those times too or if it was a later on set allergy.

Their sensitivities can change over time. Edie used to be able to eat beef. Now she can't. Cal doesn't do beef either. Every other grey I've had has been OK. So far.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

No beef problems here. One is sensitive to grains & the other appears allergic to chicken. None of my Greys or fosters seemed to have a problem with beef but nearly all had some foul, gaseous emissions when eating chicken based food.

Guest sja5032

We have had a few hounds that had some sort of allergy. Either it was grains or beef or something as it was easy to see in the race kennels when a dog had issues with the food. Normally it was skin issues or ear infections.

Maybe it is the cooked beef vs. raw beef? something changes in the enzymes that doesn't agree? I would think that if they were allergic to all beef they probably would have never made it to the track or had a very short career because they wouldn't have the nutrients etc to perform all that well.

Maybe it is the cooked beef vs. raw beef? something changes in the enzymes that doesn't agree?

There aren't any such changes between cooked and raw beef -- any enzymes are denatured (broken down and deactivated) as soon as they hit the stomach, and wouldn't have any effect on the dog in any case.

It's more likely that the dogs either developed the allergy over the years, or are allergic/sensitive to some ingredient other than beef. The latter wouldn't be the case if you're feeding plain beef, of course. However, one does often hear people say "my dog is allergic/intolerant to chicken" on the basis of having fed chicken-based dog foods, which have many ingredients other than the chicken.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Swifthounds

:nod

Of course the track diet also had less junk carbs and grains than kibble alone - even in kennels where they toss in pasta along with the kibble.

When you start looking into senstiticities, a lot of them are to what something is treated with. As much ad the steak lovers won't admit it, unless you're buying USDA Prime (which you're usually not unless you own a restaurant or have an "in" to get it before its snapped up) beef is laden with additives, enhancers,etc and most of them are glued as well. Leftover steak from a restaurant has also been marinated, usually with chemicals and preservatives that will cause reactions in all but the most iron guts.

Thanks for all the answers so far. Yes she could be intolerant to fat and that's why I was worried about Pancreatitis, but my vet said there weren't any of the other signs present (no fever etc). He said for now starve her until the 24 hours are up and feed with about 1/2 of her normal kibble evening meal. He also gave me a big syringe of Kaolin and Probiotics to give twice a day as he reckoned different and unusual enzymes (for her) would have been involved. We will keep an eye on her and do more tests if the condition persists.

Add: She wanted her food tonight after getting up from a long afternoon sleep and stretching, she took some water after it too.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

The only issure i have had with beef was when it was cooked and that didnt agree with my hounds... but i have seen a difference with Chicken intolerences and what type of food/chicken i am feeding if i feed chicken from the grocery store they get loose stool and gas and if i get the stuff made for raw dog food or from the farmers market i have no issues. I really do think the meat we are eating have so many things added to it that it does affect our hounds. If you want to see if it a beer intolerence buy some ground beef from the gorcery store and buy some from a pet food store or butcher who has non hormoned meat and see how that goes.

Guest Stripeyfan

If her stomach's irritated you could try giving her some slippery elm. I use it when Kelly has an IBD flare-up. You should be able to get it from Holland & Barrett if there's one near you - about 6 quid a pot and you get loads. I give Kelly the contents of 3 capsules 3X a day in a little warm water with some chicken shredded in it to get him to lap it up (I think the dosage is 1 capsule per 10 kilos of bodyweight). Hope Peggy is continuing to feel better!

Guest WhiteWave

None of mine have issues with beef. I feed a beef based kibble- Earthborn Great Plains Feast and add raw beef heart, liver, kidney, spleen, and tripe. Plus they get raw big beef knuckle bones covered in meat/fat/cartilage to chew on.

I have a few nonGreyhounds that can't have chicken and lamb seems to cause issues with a few of mine, but so far (knock on wood) beef hasn't given me any issues for any of my dogs.

She's been a lot better today though not wonderfully pleased about being left home 11am-5pm.

That SEB sounds like a good idea, milder than the Antepsin/Sucralfate the vet gave my last dog. The Kaolin syringe is now tolerated better, nearly finished fortunately.

• 2 weeks later...