Jasmine, My Brother's St. Bernard

Tracey

This isn't meant to be sad; I just wanted to remember and acknowledge my brother's St. Bernard Jasmine, who passed last evening. My brother and his family adopted her from their vet's practice 11 years ago. The details are sketchy to me now, but her owner had wanted her put to sleep and the vet refused. My brother's family took her in and though she was territorial around strangers, she was fiercely loyal to her new family.

Anyway, I got this message from my brother this morning:

"On a rather sad note, we had to have Jasmine put to sleep last night. She was three weeks shy of being 15 years old and the vet said she was the oldest St Bernard they had ever seen at their office. She had gone deaf a year or so ago, and had cataracts, but her primary issue was her back legs that have been giving her considerable pain and problems for the past six months. Steps became almost impossible for her to get up and down, and lately even walking outdoors, her back legs would give out and I had to help her up into a standing position. We tried some daily meds for the couple of months, but they did not help all that much. So after 11 years of having her around, it’s going to seem kind of empty at the house for a while."

I know how unusual it is for a St. Bernard to live past 10 years of age. I figure nearly 15 must be some sort of record. So I just wanted to take a moment to remember a good dog and to publicly thank my brother for giving her 11 wonderful years that she otherwise would not have had.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Tracey, pass along my condolences to your brother and his family. I'm so sorry for their loss. She obviously had a wonder life with your brother and his family.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

My condolences to your brother and his family.

Godspeed, Jasmine.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest vahoundlover

I am so sorry for your families loss. Bless them for giving Jasmine a home full of love when she needed someone.

:f_red

• 3 weeks later...