Shedding

Plummer, my brindle, is shedding plenty. Are there certain times that they shed?

I was away for a week and he was in good hands so I am not sure if he was stressed or this is the time for his shedding.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions to help the shedding?

thanks

Mine tend to shed more during spring, once it warms up. It might help if you brush them once a week with a rubber curry comb you can get them pretty cheap at walmart, the stress may play a part in it but mine havent ever really had a problem with that. Some greyhounds tend to shed more and sometimes a hard winter can cause them to have a thicker undercoat during winter and then they have more to shed during the spring. Hope that helps you some :)

Probably just typical spring shedding. Every time we vacuum lately there's half a greyhound in the central vac tank. :lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Basically, two shedding seasons for dogs: In the spring/summer, dogs blow out the cold-weather coat and grow in a lighter coat. In the fall, they blow the lighter coat and start growing the cold-weather version. I'm a dog groomer, and we see this on nearly all the dogs we groom; it's not just a greyhound thing.

The colder your winter, normally, the thicker the winter coat--so the more they'll shed in the spring/summer.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

We had a cold LONG winter here in Seattle. We finally had a beautiful sunny warm weekend, so Opie got a bath in his kiddie pool. After drying in the sun I start brushing him outside - And I brushed, and I brushed, and I brushed, and I brushed - the fur kept coming! There was fur everywhere all over the grass!!

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest PiagetsMom

We had a longer than usual winter/cooler spring and we're having a hotter than usual early summer. My pups have been shedding horribly for the last month or so - I don't think they've ever had this much shedding for this long! I don't know where it's all coming from, but I keep hoping it will let up :huh

Guest HHHounds

Vanilla is shedding a lot right now. I am getting a small greyhound worth of fur every time I brush her. It seems like the thicker the Winter coat, the worse the Spring shedding!

Guest june

Ah yes, shedding time. When my girls start to shed I give them a bath and blow their coat dry. We have a dog was in town and they have a big blow dryer to use on the dogs with warm air. It helps to remove some of the loose hair, but there will still me more shedding.

OBTW: Don't make the same mistake I made. DO NOT blow dry your dog in the bathroom. OMG what a mess. :withstupid If you do use your personal blow dryer be sure you are using a very low or just air setting and do it outside.

june

Guest BrianRke

My senior hound, Daytona, has a thick coat and sheds...a lot. He loves to be vacuumed, he lays down and almost goes to sleep when i do it. My other 2 hate the vacuum so they just get the occasional brushing.

Guest Sunset123

Arrisa gets a spring shed and a fall shed. This spring shed has been pretty bad-- it's lasted about 2 months. It's slowed down a lot, though. No more huge hairballs.

What makes me crazy is that my two don't shed at the same time. And Jacey sheds more black hair for a couple of weeks, then starts to shed the white later.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)