Have Any Experience With Anal Gland Removal?

My mutt girlie Pudge has chronic anal gland problems.

They've never gotten to the point of bursting (like happened to her greyhound sis Gracie). As soon as Pudge starts doing the carpet butt rub skootch I have the vet express her glands.

As this has been happening more frequently (every 3 months) my vet has suggested that she have her anal glands removed.

Has anyone had to go to this extreme with their dog?

Pudge has nice firm poop but this is not helping.

Because she has grass allergies I am considering checking her for possible food allergies with Dr Dodd's new test before doing any surgery.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I have experience with this, but with my Lab, and it was in the late 80's. It was 2 weeks of hell, but then oh, what bliss it was to not have to worry about anal glands going off in the car!

For the 2 weeks post surgery she was on quite a bit of oil on her food to make her poops diarrhea, and I "wiped" her butt by spraying it with water so that any diarrhea was washed off. The second week I started gently wiping her butt. All in all, it was worth it for me! But she was my only dog at the time so I had lots of time to spend with her.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest momofevie

I'm sorry that I can't offer any thoughts on removing the glands, but surgery seems like an extreme measure if the glands only need to be expressed every 3 months. Any idea why your vet suggested this option instead of continuing to express them. Maybe more frequent expressing would make her more comfortable.

At my clinic, we only recommend anal gland removal if they are frequently infected. The surgery seems to be very successful,

but I wouldn't go that route with only once every 3 month expressions. We have a lot of patients who come in once a month

for it, and do quite well.

As a previous poster said, the first 2 weeks are miserable, both for you & the dog; but it's never a worry thereafter.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest sheila

If it was me this is something I would put on the back burner for now and if there came a time when the dog needed to go under for something else perhaps revisit it as something that could be taken care of at the same time.

I nearly had it done on Daisy because she had extended/repeated infections. I was at the vet's dropping her off, when the vet tech said, 'You know the potential side effects, right? The dog can lose sphincter control and drop stools without notice.' So, I decided against it because Daisy has never had a really firm stool.

A GTer told me an extended course of antibiotics would do the trick, and it did. We just keep up with expressing the glands when she starts to chew or lick too much. Ask the vet to teach you how to express the glands yourself. It really isn't all that hard. Just do it outside to keep the mess out of the house.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I'm going to start recording how frequently I get her glands expressed. I was only guessing at the 3 months and it may very well have been longer since it was done last.

I took Pudge to a new groomer today and her glands were expressed. However, not 30 minutes after getting home she's doing the rug skootch again.

I would prefer to avoid surgery and will aim for more frequent expressings to be done by the vet. I tried it a couple of times but was unsuccessful. Maybe the vet will give me some lessons.

Other than being slightly red after skootching, Pudge shows no signs of infection.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My vet recommended against it for the Dane because of those side effects. We took her in once every three weeks to a month for years. Never infected or impacted, just full. Adding extra fiber didn't really seem to help. then just all of a sudden for no apparent reason it was two months between, then even longer.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest Timo

Wow, seems like an extreme remedy just for needing expression every few months. Our vet talked about removing them as a last resort only. Timo was having chronic severe infections that were resistant to antibiotics. Even then, the vet suggested infusing the gland with antibiotics, putting a stint in, so some other remedy before removal. I did read that there is a chance that they will have fecal incontinence after removal of the gland. I personally would avoid surgery unless you are having severe infections and/or abcesses and ruptures.

Guest HHHounds

Vanilla was having chronic problems with her anal glands and our vet recommended infusing the glands with iodine. This happened over a period of a month or so, but it seemed to dry up the glands. We have not had any more problems...

Laugh if you want :P but you might try starting her on The Missing Link. All the anal glad problem dogs I know of that started on it got well! including my Bobber. Can't explain it-just saying. I learned about it from a very special vet Dr. Boswell. I personally would never risk surgery unless it was much more serious.

Edited by racindog

Guest d0ggiem0mma

If it's only every 3 months, I think surgery would be uncalled for. Just have your vet show you how to do it at home or continue to take her in to have it done. One of my bridge dogs had issues expressing his own so I did it at home every month or so. Unless they are getting infected I would try to manage it at home.

Scootching is normal if their bum is irritated at all. Mine like to do it right after I express theirs or if they've had diarrhea lately.

That's an extreme solution to the problem. The risks are way to great versus what you get back -- if you imagine having accidents every day in the house then having to have the anal glands expressed every month or so does not sound too bad. You might also have better luck taking the dog to a vet to have them expressed, groomers are not able to "get it all".

Guest Tes623

I had Tawnie's glads removed about 6 years ago. They kept getting infected and she was constantly licking her bum. She had them removed at separately, about 6 months apart from each other. She never experienced any side effects or had fecal incontinence and was much more comfortable :)