Breathing Issues

This may be the end, unfortunately.

Talked to the vet today. Naples has been having breathing issues for about a month now, and it has gotten really bad with the hot, humid weather. She has been wheezing hard, and coughing a lot. She's had a very tough time catching her breath, but she won't stop running (so we have to leash walk her).

I originally thought congestive heart failure, but the vet does not think so. Because she's eating, and WANTS to be active, combined with her age and breed, he feels she may have a mass on her lung(s). It's not an impossibility that it's CHF, but in his experience, he rarely, if ever, sees a dog that wants to eat and be active. But then, Naples has been the exception to almost every other rule...

He thinks it's possible it could be other cardio-pulmonary issues, too, and, of course, wants to see her. So she's going in for x-rays and other diagnostics Wednesday. We don't know if we'll bring her home.

I hate this part of owning dogs! :weep

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Keeping all fingers and toes crossed for lovely Naples :wub: :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest CampWhippet

I hope you can get some answers.

I wonder if prednisone would help? Maybe reduce some inflamation somewhere? I had a whippet with a nasal tumor that needed prednisone when it got inflammed for whatever reason.

Is there any possibility it could be LP?

That crossed my mind too. It's something to mention to the vet.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest budsmom

All fingers & paws crossed on the other side of the state for you & Naples! All those big hairys need her around to be the boss!!!!

Really sounds like LP to me too.

Lucy (RileysLegacy) had posted a youtube video of Riley clearing his throat - it is a telltale sign of LP. I will see if I can find it...here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA_sFmUltqk&feature=player_profilepage

Hoping it's something that you can do something about :goodluck:grouphug

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Not sure what to think. The more I read, the more it looks like LP. But I don't know if I want to put her through the surgery. Not only will we have a hard time affording it (I DON'T want that to be the deciding factor, but reality is reality), but she's had problems with anesthesia/surgery in the past.

Crap. This does not make it any easier. Will have to talk it over with DH...

Edited by Sighthounds4me

While I can't help with the financial part, I can tell you that my Onyx had her tieback surgery when she was 11 and lived to 15.5. I wrote an article regarding her living with LP and it's in this coming summer issue of CG magazine.

She had a wonderful life and passed away not from anything with LP.

Also, financial wise, Care Credit allows you a specific time frame (depending on the price of the procedure) interest free. If your vet uses Care Credit, I'm thinking you should have at least a year interest free. (just transfer to another credit card if you can't pay off by that time, you'll get whalloped with high interest rates and may have to pay interest for the whole year you hadn't. But, if you play by the rules with them, they are a godsend.

Good luck with whatever happens.

Looks like LP. She's home now, thank God! :D

They did three views of her chest, no masses, very little congestion. As the vet said "They look like 'old dog' lungs!" Her heart sounds good, is *slightly* enlarged, but being a Greyhound means he is not concerned.

So, since that was ruled out, and it sounds to him like LP, we're calling it that for now. This clinic does not have a laryngoscope, but the clinic where we take our boys does. So, if we wanted to pursue that, we could. But for now, I don't think we will. She's had trouble with anesthesia before, and DH and I agree that we don't feel the benefits out weigh the risks.

So she's on doxycycline, in case there is infection causing inflammation. And methylprednisone to treat the inflammation. We will also give her melatonin to relax her, if needed, and bump up to a stronger sedative if need be.

So for now, we are going to treat her medically, in hopes of making her more comfortable, and giving her better quality of life. When we can no longer do that, we'll do what we have to do.

THANK YOU, all, for your kind thoughts, prayers, and advice! I LOVE experienced people's help!! :)

Really hope her symptoms can be managed for a loooooooooong time!

Scritchies to your prettiest girl :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm really glad that's what the diagnosis was. Solo had that too.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

I'm living with a Greyhound diagnosed with LP also. LP is usually progressive. Our hound has had it for several years but is much more advanced now. As I'm sure your vet mentioned, it is important to keep Naples very calm and as cool as possible. If you leash walk her at all, it should likely be limited to short, very slow strolls, it should only be during the coolest part of the early morning or night. Absolutely no running. Panting swells up the throat which could send her into a breathing attack. My hound's kibble needs to be completely soaked in water until it's mushy soft but leaving it in kibble shape (45+ minutes). I usually prepare her kibble in the morning with water, then leave it in the refrigerator until dinner time. Then warm it the microwave for about 20 seconds to take off the chill before serving.

Here is an LP group with much information: LP-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Good luck with keeping Naples cool, calm and comfortable.