Toe Amputation Surgery - Cost?

Guest lgmaddox

Guest lgmaddox

Hi all, have not been on in ages as recently got a new hound, and a foster. Lady and Dash. Recovery from loss of the first one took awhile. Anyway - Dash is a 6yr old male foster, that I am contemplating adopting. Despite the fact that fostering started ok and went rapidly downhill, in part due to a problem with his far left toe, left leg. I come home the other day;blood everywhere. His prior family said he had a chronic problem with injuring this toe "out of the blue" and that the original vet considered amputation. Biopsy ruled out cancer, tumor, etc.

If I adopt him, can anyone ballpark for me how much this amputation would cost? I have no idea. I'm in Atlanta, so probably on the high end I would think. $1000 or so ?

Thanks - whatever you can tell me.

I just had it done on Beth last Wednesday and I think it was around $1,100 or so -- the bill was $1,360 :eek but I had some pricey unrelated blood tests done that she was due for since they were doing a presurgical blood panel anyway. I'm in Iowa, which isn't a high end place, but my vet is pretty high end (laser surgery etc.). The actual surgery wasn't that much, it's all the many items on the itemized bill that run it up.....

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest lgmaddox

thanks, that helps. Sounds like $1K is about right. Hoping I can get the adoption agency to "foot" the bill while I have him as a foster. That much is pushing it for me right now. Thanks!

I just had it done on Beth last Wednesday and I think it was around $1,100 or so -- the bill was $1,360 :eek but I had some pricey unrelated blood tests done that she was due for since they were doing a presurgical blood panel anyway. I'm in Iowa, which isn't a high end place, but my vet is pretty high end (laser surgery etc.). The actual surgery wasn't that much, it's all the many items on the itemized bill that runs it up.....

Wow.

The last amputation that I was a part of was 10 years ago in West Texas when a grey got out during a storm that blew open the front door of the foster home.

All the dogs got out but the foster was HBC and had to have her right front LEG amputated. that was $450. Even 10 years later and here in Dallas $1,000 for a toe sounds pretty steep. I'll call my vet and ask in the morning.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Dude broke his toe about four years ago and had to have emergency surgery. It ended up being about $2000 at the specialty E-vet. If you really want to know, call up a vet and ask for a ballpark figure for a "normal, uncomplicated" toe amputation. Make sure to include pre-surgery bloodwork and any normal aftercare, and ask if they carry the anti-bleeding drug Amicar.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I guess we got off easy with Gracie's toe amputation at $450, which included a pathology report. She had 2 other biopsies at the same time so the total cost was higher.

She healed quickly from it. Hope your boy Dash does too.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest KennelMom

Melody's toe amp from our regular vet was maybe $600...We did a year or more of re-hab on the toe with an orthopedist, so if you lumped that in along with various xrays, the bill would be much, much higher. The actual surgery might have even been less than that.

Toe amputation for Stella about a week ago, done by board certified surgeon at the specialty hospital: $1500 (including removal the popliteal lymph node and some of the big paw pad, plus the pathology sent out on the tumor and lymph node). That doesn't include the pre-surgery blood-work, exam and xrays taken by our vet which was a couple hundred more.

Your vet should be able to give you a pretty quick quote on what they'll charge. The adoption group may be able to get a better rate than you would. I know our vet has a standard non-profit discount.

Edited by KennelMom

I guess we got off easy with Gracie's toe amputation at $450, which included a pathology report. She had 2 other biopsies at the same time so the total cost was higher.

She healed quickly from it. Hope your boy Dash does too.

Wow! I paid more than that to have a small growth removed from Kramer's toe!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

MoMo's toe amp was ~$500. That included antibiotics, pain meds, and a goodly supply of bandaging materials. I've been struggling to keep Mo's toe since March though, so the total from all of that has got to be around $2000. I don't want to add up the totals because I just don't want to know. :blush

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.