Ughhh Lexie Is Worse

so the vet said stay on the flagyl even though i thought it was making her worse and put her on rice..she is on a grain free diet..anyway today her cage was a mess..she never got sick in her cage in the 4 years we have had her. I called the vet and he said he forgot no rice . I told him that pill was making her worse. He told me to stop it and see what happens. He said to give her a probiatic and try that. poor lexie.. and poor me.. i wore gloves and scrubbed and cleaned all 3 comforters.. the two down pillows had to throw away :(..I felt so bad for her I gave her my only pillow...lol..she has been wanting to eat grass outside this morning so i know her tummy is bothering her still... I may give her half of immodium. what do u guys think?

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Not sure about the immodium in this case. Whatever is in there needs to come out, so immodium may not be the answer.

She could need a larger dose of Flagyl for a longer period, We ended up giving a mega dose for over 3 weeks (prescribed by the vet) before Rocket's stomach got better the last time that he was sick.

I would ask the vet about immodium before giving it in this case, and about continuing the Flagyl if her time on it is almost finished from the original prescription.

Rocket hopes his girl is feeling better soon.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Stripeyfan

You could try slippery elm bark powder – buy capsules from a human health food store, break them open and mix with a little warm water. The gel soothes the stomach and helps 'cool' any inflammation/irritation. Don't give with meds, though; wait an hour so it doesn't intefere with their absorption. The dosage is 1 capsule per 20lb of bodyweight, up to 3 times a day.

No immodium. I wouldn't rock the boat more than it's been rocked already. Stop the rice. Stop the flagyl if you think you should.

And watch for some initial problems with a probiotic, too. When my guys started taking probiotics, there were a couple of oops-poops from the girl when I wasn't home (and she never poops or pees in the house). I changed the schedule on administering the probiotics from morning to evening, so I was home to get her outside when she needed to go. It wasn't soft poop or diarrhea--just an urgent need to go. Right. That. Second.

(I take the same probiotics as the dogs, so when she started having problems I was able to sympathize--and identify the culprit right away. Activia yogurt has the same effect on me.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Pepcid or Zantac may help if the tummy is irritated. (Pepcid will tend to slow the bowels very very slightly, while Zantac will tend to speed them up very very slightly.) I agree that you should not give Immodium. Not all dogs do well on probiotics, for whatever reason, so giving that may make it worse. Pepto Bismol might be okay. Your vet *forgot* about the "no rice"?! Then I think he owes you a good solution. (Don't mean to be a grouch, but I know what you're going through and I'm upset *for* you!)

ETA: Did your vet do a culture & sensitivity test on the poop? That's what would show which Clostridium strain it was, how bad the overgrowth is, and which antibiotics would kill it. (We needed 3 a/b's, but we had a tough case.) In any case, Flagyl can be somewhat hard on the tummy, like most antibiotics. But maybe one of the other antibiotics would work too and be easier on her, even though it would likely be more expensive. I'm so sorry you're going through this. :grouphug

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I'm thinking at this point I would stop everything for 24 hours and then start with some pepcid or something like that to sooth the stomach. I might not even feed until tomorrow and give the stomach time to rest.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

ty all. I am going to stop the meds and just feed her usual grain free dog food with her tylon powder. She has been on that for 3 years. I am seeing a new vet on friday. I got his name thru our adoption site and he is grey savy. My vet doesn't have too much experience with greys. I will ask them to do the stool sample like u guys recommended to look for

No immodium. I wouldn't rock the boat more than it's been rocked already. Stop the rice. Stop the flagyl if you think you should.

And watch for some initial problems with a probiotic, too. When my guys started taking probiotics, there were a couple of oops-poops from the girl when I wasn't home (and she never poops or pees in the house). I changed the schedule on administering the probiotics from morning to evening, so I was home to get her outside when she needed to go. It wasn't soft poop or diarrhea--just an urgent need to go. Right. That. Second.

(I take the same probiotics as the dogs, so when she started having problems I was able to sympathize--and identify the culprit right away. Activia yogurt has the same effect on me.)

I also take probiotics. I will wait till after i see the vet before starting them..ty

Guest tricolorhounds

Gain'er just went through horrible case of stomach trouble with liquid diarrhea, horrid gas, grumbling that could be heard across the room... etc.

After discussing matter with our Vet (she sees more greyhounds than any other type of dog and started our group), we...

#1 Fasted for 24 hours.

#2 Switched from Imodium to Pepto Bismal. She said to use the liquid and to give it outside as some would leak back out of their mouths (still have pink stains on the concrete.) As soon as we started giving the pepto, the grumbling and gas stopped.

#3 Several small meals daily of boiled hamburger only... he ate hamburger only for 4-5 days. She has never recommended rice.

#4 Flagyl for 7 days.

Gain is back to normal now... I hope Lexie gets better soon.

Edited by tricolorhounds

It has been a day since i stopped the flagyl and she is like 50 percent better. I see the new vet on friday.. will redo stool sample and have my list of questions for him :lol:lol

That was sweet that you gave her your only pillow. I hope she is feeling better real soon.

:lol yes my goose down feathered 80 dollar pillow... lol..I am sleeping on foam :lol:lol is that love or what??? :lol:lol:lol

Guest Cara_Lea

I'm having tummy troubles with Ty right now.. so I feel your pain. My vet has him on pepcid, gas-x and sulcrate.. he is also eating boiled hamburger and rice. Here's hoping both of our babies start feeling better soon.

I'm having tummy troubles with Ty right now.. so I feel your pain. My vet has him on pepcid, gas-x and sulcrate.. he is also eating boiled hamburger and rice. Here's hoping both of our babies start feeling better soon.

((prayers))) and ((hugs)) for your pup too

Glad she is a bit better (hope Ty improves too).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ask your vet about Cerenia. One injection may help rather than a course of the pills.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My vet always puts Dustin on sucralate when he goes on the flagyl. It coats the stomach.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Cara_Lea

If her stomach is bothering her, is she on stomach meds? Also, use potatoes or pasta instead of rice. I used boiled meat only.

Diane, I always use sweet potato with Choo.. but the vet suggested rice for Ty.. why do you suggest potato or pasta?

Guest Cara_Lea

((prayers))) and ((hugs)) for your pup too

Thanks.. (to Batmom too!) We've had a rough couple of weeks here.. first it started with Choo's tummy issues rearing their ugly head again. We believe we know the culprit for her issues (a formula change in her kibble that wasn't announced right away) and she seems to be on the mend. Ty's issues started on Sunday.. and it was a long weekend here in Canada, so he ended up at the e-vet Sunday night and again on Monday. He was definitely doing better yesterday but he backslid this morning for a while. He has definitely been doing somewhat better again this evening, thankfully. I still have some concerns with him.. but I am trying to keep a positive attitude. The kibble MAY have also been the cause of his issues.. we aren't sure on that... but once he started having stomach problems too, we also pulled Show off that kibble just in case.

How is our girl Lexie doing? Any update from the new vet?

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

She seems better (knock on wood) Vet put her on a chewy probiotic and that is helping. Blood and samples tests will be back wed. This vet deals with 2 rescue grey groups which is good. He said the most common thing he sees with the greys is they get diarrhea a lot..and they have bad teeth. He said Lexie's teeth look real good :colgate I try and brush them everyday. He said ii is highly unlikely she caught anything from during therapy work. Lexie wanted Rocket to know that she is not contagious :lol

Glad to see she's feeling a little better. Hope she's on the road to recovery now.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

. Lexie wanted Rocket to know that she is not contagious :lol

:lol :lol :lol

Good to hear she is doing better. Rocket sends XOXO.... he is going to interview a potential adopter today so that one of his GPA Indy friends can have a new forever home.