Mickey Update - She Is Gone

Guest mbfilby

Guest mbfilby

Mickey has been ill off and on for well over a month. It started with vomiting, diarrhea, and fever. Vet prescribed baytril which she had a bad reaction to, so we started tetracycline which seemed to help. Once the meds were finished she became sick again, and this time had bloody stools.

Vet prescribed metronidizole along with bland vet kibble which seemed to help at first, but she is now ill again and she is still on the meds. She refuses to eat the diet food, and is still vomiting. Her stools have never firmed up, and she has developed very bad urinary incontinence. Bloodwork and samples all look good.

I can get her to eat boiled hamburger and potatoes, but she really wants the regular food the other pups get. We have an appointment tomorrow for xrays. We've discussed IBD and the treatments going forward based on the xray results.

She is weak and loosing weight. Our home is a war zone of soiled blankets and bedding. She is miserable and can not lay anywhere for 5 minutes without soaking through the bedding.

Any advice? There is a specialty pet food store in town that sells Nutri Source Pure Vita hypo allergenic formulas, but right now she is too sick to introduce a new food.

Edited by mbfilby

She really needs a full work up-- meaning more blood work (bile acids, TLI for example), full stool analysis, radiographs and perhaphs an abdominal ultrasound. I would gate to see you to assume it's IBD only to find out you are missing a bigger picture. IBD seems to have become a catcth all diagnosis by some -- well, let's say lack luster vets. I would absoultely reccomend a second option with an internist if your pups health continues to decline.

Keep us posted after your vet visit tomorrow.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest mbfilby

We took Mickey to the E-vet this afternoon (Canadian holiday) because she looked as if she were bloating. She didn't have the retching or vomiting, but her tummy was large and firm. Since we already had an appointment for xrays tomorrow with the same vet, she said to bring her in and she would do them today.

Xrays showed fluid build up and extremely enlarged liver and spleen. Ultrasound showed that her intestines are being compressed by the enlarged organs and a large mass. While her blood values were good last Saturday, today they are all out of wack.

After the appointment we took her for a car ride and a short walk, but she is having trouble walking. We will make the appointment for tomorrow or Wednesday.

Guest vahoundlover

We took Mickey to the E-vet this afternoon (Canadian holiday) because she looked as if she were bloating. She didn't have the retching or vomiting, but her tummy was large and firm. Since we already had an appointment for xrays tomorrow with the same vet, she said to bring her in and she would do them today.

Xrays showed fluid build up and extremely enlarged liver and spleen. Ultrasound showed that her intestines are being compressed by the enlarged organs and a large mass. While her blood values were good last Saturday, today they are all out of wack.

After the appointment we took her for a car ride and a short walk, but she is having trouble walking. We will make the appointment for tomorrow or Wednesday.

I am so sorry! We lost Kirston Saturday to a large mass on her spleen bleeding, Same symptoms with the full belly, we thought she was bloating. The cancer had already spread through out. :weep My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I'm sorry to hear this.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am very sorry to read of Mickey's diagnosis. This horrid disease takes so many of our beautiful pups. Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time and please give a hug to Mickey from me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am so sad and sorry to read this. It is exactly the way we lost Brandy.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest mbfilby

We helped Mickey to the bridge this afternoon. She went peacefully with DW and I holding her, and knew she was loved. When I can manage to find words to do her justice, I will post in remembrance.

Thanks for the kind words.