Boots For Slippery Floors?

Guest limbrooke83

Guest limbrooke83

Hi all,

I am currently training DeeDee as a service dog to help with a medical condition I have. I know greyhounds aren't typical service dog material, and I totally understand why, but DeeDee is a high energy, higher stamina greyhound, even at 4 years of age. I'm also not going to ask her to do anything that would be unhealthy for her (such as lots of pulling or carrying a heavy pack). A lot of her work is directed retrieving, which she actually does very well.

That said, DeeDee has a fear of shiny tile floors. She's been a certified therapy dog for a few years, and has walked okay on tile floors at nursing homes, etc, but the other night, during our first trip to Walmart, she freaked out and did the "greyhound tile dance" (I'm sure you know what that looks like!). In the past, she has shown an initial reluctance on occasion when encountering a new tile floor, but a few steps in she gets her feet under her and does fine. Not this time. She did great once we got to the fake wood flooring in the store, but really struggled with that tile.

I'm looking for some bootie options to help her out. We've tried various boots in the past during winter time, but can't find any that will stay on her feet. On the advice of several people, I have ordered the Ruff Wear Grip Trex (or something like that) boots, with accompanying liners. If they won't stay up, I'm considering putting a bit of bag balm on her paw fur to give a little traction to the boots (the balm should wash out easily enough once we're home).

In case these new boots won't stay up, do any of you have suggestions for some that will? We've tried the "knee high" kind (with two velcro straps) and the "small cloth bag" kind (that has one velcro strap), but neither have worked. I love the soles on the Ruff Wear boots, and would like to have DeeDee wear them on most of our trips to protect her feet from hot asphalt, broken glass, ice, salt, etc. I'm aware dogs sweat through their feet, so I would of course keep them off if we were going to be outdoors or in a warm environment for too long.

Also, any tricks to helping greyhounds overcome this fear? We have a tile floor in our kitchen, and while DeeDee can walk fine on it, once in awhile she psychs herself out and tries to rush out of the kitchen, slipping in the process. We've played the treat game, where I toss pieces of kibble around the kitchen floor and she goes to get them, but are there any other suggestions that have worked for you?

I'm also aware of using Musher's Secret and similar products on the pads to give traction, although I've heard mixed reports as to whether it helps or makes things worse, and I'm really hoping to find some good boots for protection's sake. If I can find boots, the plan is to gradually wean her off of needing them, even if she will continue to use them more often than not.

Thanks!

-Brooke

Not sure how boots will actually HELP. Not sure a dog can process the "I have boots on, so I won't slide on that shiny floor."

I have a set of boots called "Muttluks" that stay on quite well--but I don't know that they'd provide traction. They're for protection against the elements, not non-slip.

They actually make these funny little stick on grippers that go right on the paws! Not sure how well they work though.

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Actually - I think some greys can make awesome service dogs. There are many cases of them as working service dogs that you can find online. It's not for all greys, certainly, and it depends on what you need the dog to do - but it sounds like you've got the right dog for the job! :)

Booties are a decent idea, but I can't give you advice on that. I would suggest desensitization training. It involves repeated, limited exposure to the "issue" with rewards. Our kitchen floor gives almost every foster trouble. I put 2ftx3ft throw rugs at close intervals. I start taking them away, one at a time, over time. Gradual acclimation, until the dog does the floor no problem, and doesn't even realize he's acclimating to it.

I'd suggest finding a place that replicates the super-slick floor, and do the same. Start off easy - with lots of throw rugs, treats for crossing... and decrease the rug - increase the distance between. This will take days or weeks, not hours.

If it's feasible - do daily trips into Walmart- take a few steps on the scary floor, PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE - give a treat - and leave immediately. NOT a shopping trip - a training trip. The next day - a couple more steps - PRAISE - treat - leave. Repeat. Increase just a bit each time. Always reward and END before the stress starts. I'm guessing you'll be getting dog treats from the greeters in a few days! :lol

BTW - 4 yrs. old is just a young un'. I personlly consider greys a puppy/teenager, both mentally and physically, until they're 3. (Not data - just my experience). I've taught a LOT older greys slippery floors and such.

You can do this. I think it's awesome - please keep us posted!!!!! I'd LOVE to show my grey, Diana, that yes - you CAN get a JOB!!! :lol:P

Edited by sobesmom

Pawz rubber booties might work well They're what we use in the winter all the time. I know there's also some product you can just put on the bottom of their pads to make them a little tacky -- someone here will know the name of it.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Summer sounds identical. So I took her into every store I could -- Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond, Staples, PetSmart. I spent weeks doing this. I couldn't give her treats as she's a messy treat eater plus she won't eat treats if she's at all stressed, so I used praise and hugs. I can now walk her on any floor surface ON A LEASH. She has learned that if I ask her to do it, it's all okay. At home, she is still cautious on our super shiny tile floor and I can't blame her, it's way more slippery than anything she'd encounter while she's out.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Summer sounds identical. So I took her into every store I could -- Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond, Staples, PetSmart. I spent weeks doing this. I couldn't give her treats as she's a messy treat eater plus she won't eat treats if she's at all stressed, so I used praise and hugs. I can now walk her on any floor surface ON A LEASH. She has learned that if I ask her to do it, it's all okay. At home, she is still cautious on our super shiny tile floor and I can't blame her, it's way more slippery than anything she'd encounter while she's out.

That's desensitization, as I referred to above. :) The hugs and praise for her are the "treat". At home - you might want to try the throw-rug trick. It really does work to build the dog's confidence.

Here's a footwear website that you might like. Neopaws. I don't know if it's on their website but they also carry indoor slippers, not just outdoor shoes. I have their regular performance outdoor shoes and Summer walked in all 4 right away, no issues. I have been told not to get the high performance outdoor shoes as they are too stiff for the greys.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Work to get her nails as short as possible. Pay careful attention to her pads. If needed use a conditioner to keep them strong yet supple, Musher's Secret & Bag Balm come to mind. She will have better traction if her pads are flexible, not hard, dry & smooth. Ensure that she gets enough exercise to keep her hind end strong. All of these will go a long way to giving her the best natural traction. Biogroom makes a spray called Show Foot that helps a great deal with traction. As already suggested, PAWZ boots do very well at improving traction. Yes, dogs can & do come to realize that they are less prone to slipping with certain boots on. You may also try Ultra Paws Traction boots. Click Here I've thought several times of ordering some to try. The biggest advantage I can see with these is that they are less conspicuous than the bright, eye catching colors of PAWZ. Take it from me. Your dog will not look like a serious working dog wearing bright blue or purple balloons on her feet. Personally, the PAWZ have worked so well I've not worried about that part. These have lasted much longer than their description as reusable but disposable would lead you to believe. Did you order from Ruff Wear? If so, did you tell them you are getting these for a service dog? They offer a pro discount for working dogs & service dogs qualify. It is a significant savings & worth signing up form.

It does sound like desensitization & counter conditioning will be needed, at least to some extent, to help her past this problem. Add in the extra measure to improve & maintain the best traction & you can help her come to feel more secure on these floors. Just take it at her pace. Do not rush her.

Good luck! Training a service dog is a big endeavor. Sliding on slick floors is actually a challenge we unexpectedly faced. (Which explains all my suggestions above.) The biggest challenge for me was teaching my girl to retrieve. She's come a long way & will work surprisingly hard to pick something up. Word to the wise, don't try to get your dog to pick up your iPhone if you drop it in the parking deck, especially if you do not have a skin or case on it. She almost had it in my hand when the slick thin slipped out of her mouth to fall yet again onto the pavement. After giving myself a huge mental dope slap, she helped me get down & up again to retrieve it myself.

I remember Kasey was afraid of shiny floors, and we were pointed to a spray bottle of "sticky stuff." I did not try it as he eventually overcame his fear on his own. I can't for the life of me remember the name, but it's basically just a spray application on their foot that provides traction. It might be better than sticking boots on her feet all day long.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

tacky paws used for show dogs will most likely help. check out cherrybrook dog supply and see if you can get on to other site for show dog handlers. it's the same prinicible as rosen for gymnast, will add stick to the surface when moving fast. many show dogs skid out at indoor shows and their handler's use it.

here is a basic google search http://www.google.com/search?q=tacky+paw+wax&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1#sclient=psy&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&source=hp&q=tacky+paw+for+dogs&aq=2j&aqi=g1g-v1g-j1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=7943f865cd6ba416

Edited by cleptogrey

Another option is "Cushy Paws" from the Therapaws people. Cushy Paws The fit in the photo is quite generous but the booties come in S/M/L and a smaller size gives a sleeker fit. The booties have a grippy textured soul on the outside but the inside and the "sock" part of the boot is a lovely soft fleece. The fit is controlled with a Velcro and elastic band so they stay on fairly well. The top of the boot will fold down over the elastic band for a cute little cuff look. :blush

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest limbrooke83

Thanks, everyone! Lots of greyt info and suggestions here. I'm confident with all these options we'll soon find a way past the slippery floor obstacle. ;)

-Brooke